Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so, what was the outcome? Any insurance hassles?

I ask because I park on the street (NYC) everyday that I'm at work and if I don't check on it every so often I feel funny.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had two sport bikes stolen from the parking garage where I lived within the course of six-months. This was years ago, but both times, State Farm stepped up immediately and paid full value. In fact, I made a little money on the second bike (CBR900RR) because it was so new that they weren't able to assign a fair used value, and subsequently paid me the full MSRP - which I never paid in the first place. But like I said, that was some time ago. I can't vouch for their practices currently.

If I might add, depending on what kind of bike that you have (desirable to a thief), you would be best to have solid insurance on the thing regardless where you park it...even in a secure garage. I've learned the hard way that a good motorcycle thief can snatch a bike in (literally) a matter of seconds and be gone with it without a single neighbor being the wiser.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Somewhat off topic but has anyone had experience with an alarm on the bike? Good/bad...

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
First, my FJ1200 was stolen from a very public place off the street in Boston, MA in '92. Thief ripped out the ignition lock and rolled it away. Fortunately, he rolled it to a stolen van that the police were watching hoping that it would lead them to a chop shop. By the time I reported the bike as stolen, the police had it in their garage. The thief was a convicted murdered who was out on bail waiting sentencing. They immediately revolked his bail so he was locked down when I had to testify that my bike was stolen, not borrowed or something.

Second, then I installed a Scorpio alarm with tilt, frame contact and ignition lock sensors. It still works, 13 years later. The danger with it is that there are circumstances when the bike will not start unless the alarm is cancelled by the remote. There is no way to override that requirement. The time I fell in a river and soaked the remote gave me an anxious half-hour while I disassembled and blew it dry. Likewise, a dead battery in the remote is a bike that won't start. The Scorpio sounds a loud horn AND transmits a warning to a seperate remote receiver that you carry with you. In Boston, tests proved that I would receive a warning signal in my office on the 38th floor of a modern sky-scraper about 1/2 city block from where I parked. That eased my worry factor a lot.

Tommy T.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
One stolen from me, 94 M900.
Outcome was I got it back and the cops were too goddam lazy to investigate the guy whose parking spot it was in. Signals were stripped, electrical was ****ed up, it was spraypainted (although when it was recovered I was told no damage by the PD ::) ), exhaust system was screwed up, choke cable twisted up, and bald tire. Any panels, flyscreen, etc were stripped off.
:'(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
My friend was in the Navy and asked me to store his Triumph 650 chopper. He told me to ride it once in a while. In a year, I rode it only twice for short trips because I hate choppers. On the second ride, I took it to watch the San Jose mile. That was a 10 mile trip. Well, when I went to get it for the ride home it was gone. That is such a punch in the stomach when that happens. . . . . Anyway, there was no insurance. I took responsibility and asked him how much he wanted for it. He named a price and I paid it. That sucked ball sweat.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I came home from work and parked my one week old brand new Honda in my apartment car port next to my car and the next day went to go ride it to work and it was gone. I made a police report and called State Farm. I was told by the insurance company that I had to wait a month to see if the bike is recovered. Finally I got a check and it was for 75% of what I paid new. I was not happy.

All my bikes since then I watch like a hawk. My Ducati, if I am not riding it, it stays in my locked garage. If I have to stop and get off the DUC somewhere, I never go where I cannot see it. I have not had another bike stolen so I guess this strategy of being paranoid works.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Yeah, nothing like getting killed over a 1988 EX500 ::)
(dont worry, im outa here soon 8))

back on topic....
seriously, if you live in an apartment...your bike is gonna get screwed with and attempted stolen constantly.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
MonsterHooligan said:
back on topic....
seriously, if you live in an apartment...your bike is gonna get screwed with and attempted stolen constantly.
no truer words... find yourself some garages guys. i'm not talkin about parking garages or those shared-subterranean deals, either.

garage. as private as possible.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Apartments do suck. In the six years I lived in apartments(wealthy supposedly good neighborhood).
My truck was vandalized five times I had a 77' Z28 stolen my apartment was broken into three times and I got shot(just once).

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
In 2002, my TL1000R was stolen from my apartment parking space on a Saturday afternoon. The police found my bike about 5 weeks later along with another stolen GSXR and two stolen cars. It was rideable but disguised (cosmetically [email protected] up) and the theives put about 1000 miles on my bike - they even put a new rear tire on for me! My bike wasn't insured at the time so I didn't have that to deal with. I was very fortunate to get my bike back.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Garage you say? I usually let it cool down outside and throw some rubber banded ziploc bags over the exhaust tips. It really keeps the smell down. No way will I leave it unseen in the parking lot at my apartment complex.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I had my duc stolen twice from my garage. I got it back both times. Key word here is "I", cops did nothing (I am not picking on the cops). It is amazing what a loaded shotgun and a shaved head will do for you.

·
Registered
576 Posts
J3 said:
Garage you say? I usually let it cool down outside and throw some rubber banded ziploc bags over the exhaust tips. It really keeps the smell down. No way will I leave it unseen in the parking lot at my apartment complex.

[thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
I am so glad i dont live in a city, and that my bike is white. Thieves always want the black bikes. even if i lived in the city though, i would still keep the bike at the 'rents house. Or get 24/7 storage garage somewhere. anyone ever do that?

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hhhmm, this kinda went in a different direction than intended but for those that have asked or suggested...

Yep, my bike is sercurely parked while at home in a locked garage that only one other person has access to which happens to be my landlord. My concerns about theft were for when I'm at work parked on the street. Yes, I can park it in a garage for a ridiculous amount of money everyday but this wasn't my question. What I was wondering about was everyone's experience with the insurance companies.

But to those that actually have had their bikes stolen, sorry to hear about it. I can't imagine how much that initial realization must have sucked!

·
Banned
124 Posts
My husband's triumph was stolen in front of our apartment a few months ago. We now park in a spot hidden from the street, with some big ass chains bolted to concrete anchors, and the building management put in security cameras as well.

insurance was surprisingly easy to deal with. they pulled a couple dealers listings of that model with similar mileage and took that as current value, plus $500 thrown in for tax, fees, etc. Had to wait three weeks to make sure it wasn't going to turn up before they paid, but all in all very good. USAA [thumbsup]

cops were nice too. got a call a couple weeks later saying someone had been caught with his stolen tag on another bike, and that led to some big chop shop bust. his bike was surely in pieces long before that, but it's nice to see another ring go down.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts