Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a question, would you consider your monster a sport bike or a street bike?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
sport bike, no question, if you base your opinion
on performance and handling. the S4R is as sharp
as either of my other supersports.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
for what i'm doing with it ,it's a street bike

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Just because I ride it on the street... >

doesn't mean it's not a sports bike! I guess the forward leaning position makes it a sports bike as opposed to a standard (street) bike. If you've ridden one of those you'll know what I mean.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, according to progressive it's a sport bike...USAA says it's a street bike....a difference of about $300 yearly. So i call it a street bike on crack. ;D

·
Registered
366 Posts
Like all insurance companies, Progressives rates vary by location and rider. My 03M1000S costs me $250 yearly for full coverage w/ Progressive.

BTW, I've always viewed bikes in two general categories: street bikes, and dirt bikes (racebikes street and dirt excluded).

First time I've heard of street bikes and sport bikes as something different. Don't you all mean sport bike and standard?

well, according to progressive it's a sport bike...USAA says it's a street bike....a difference of about $300 yearly.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Monsters are NOT sport bikes. They are naked street bikes. Ride a real sport bike & you'll know the difference.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
just a question, would you consider your monster a sport bike or a street bike?
I like to think of it as a "naked sports bike", but, as Norm says, if you were _really_ after a sportsbike, the Monster does miss out in a few serious ways...

Mainly horsepower and ground clearance...

Its hard to keep up in the corners when the footpegs touch down so early, and even if you fix that, the slipons and then the front headerpipe aren't far behind - So you'd need to buy and fit rearsets, a high rise exhaust, and then raise the tripleclamps and jack the rear suspension just to be able to match a stock "sportsbike" for lean angle (and, lets face it, lean angle = cornerspeed). Then you've only got the problem that on the corner exit, even a "baby" 600cc sportsbike these days has almost twice as much horsepower as me (compared to my 750, you 800, 900, 1000DS and 4 valve guys get a fair bit closer) - when you start comparing to the latest literbikes, the horsepower comparison looks just silly (pretty much all of the '04 Jap 1000s are quoting around 180hp - admittedly thats "claimed at the crank", but even so...)

Having said that, there are very few of my favorite bike roads where _I_ need any more horsepower... Personally I don't enjoy 160kmh+ (100mph+) sweepers nearly as much as 35kmh (20mph) twistys, and in the real world it seems that 52degree lean angles aren't really all that much use on poor to mediocre condition public roads. Hell, on _my_ choice of roads, I can happily keep up (with or even beat) a bunch of OK riders on 600 sportsbikes on my 30 odd hp 250cc vtwin Honda Spada! I might be 10 or 15 seconds off their pace around Eastern Creek (largely limited by my 160kmh (100mph) top speed down the 1km straight), but thats a racetrack, which is not where I do most of my riding. One of my riding highlights last year was a weekend away with the local VFR club - on the run between Thredbo and Khancoban, 120km(80 miles) of tight windy mountain road with a long section of mainly 15kmh(10mph) hairpins winding down into a valley, then a twisty road following the rock wall back up the other side with mainly 25 and 35kmh (15 and 20mph) bends. I was riding my Spada, and I beat _every_ VFR to Khancoban, and I also just managed to keep a pretty determined rider on a Hayabusa behind me! _Sure_ his bike could do 200 miles an hour, but not round hairpin bends, and he was _miles_ behind at the end of the really tight section :) (admittedly, there were quite a few places where he could have easily blasted past me on the way up the other side, but I guess the cop car we both passed while doing about 80kmh in a 90 zone round a 35kmh bend made him think twice - it made _me_ think twice too, we were _very_ lucky with that one - 10 seconds either side of that bend we were both doing licence losing speeds... that cop is the main reason a pair of the VFRs didn't catch us too - they got pulled over...)

big

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
When most people ask about it, I know they usually think of a sportbike as a crotch rocket, so I don't call it that. Normally I simply say it handles like a dream, is plenty fast, and is more closely related to a sportbike than it is a standard or cruiser. As most people here have found, the typical response as they look at a monster is, "Wow, nice bike." ;D

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I think the Monster is not really a sport bike or a street bike. I tend to think of a sport bike as a bike with plastic fairing and a extreme riding position. I think of street bikes as either cruisers, tourers, or basic (standard).

I can not easily think of any real bikes that are similar to the Monster. The Monster is kind of just in its own particular class all by itself.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've got a '02 750sie and a '02 cbr600f4i : the monster does not handle as well as the cbr and has 31 less hp. the cbr rolls into the corners with more stability, holds the line better, and the rider has the ability of easily changing his line in the corner as needed. accelerating out of corners is amazing, and again, very stable with lotsa torque. check out the hp/torque curve for the cbr on the sportbike rider website.

full fairing, aggressive riding position, lotsa power, lousy access for maintenance - the cbr is a sportbike.

bikini fairing, more upright riding position, so-so power for a 750cc and great brakes -- the monster is a standard for those who do not want just another jap bike

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
The Monster is definitely a naked sport bike. Sure it may not necessarily stack up against a modern sport bike, but that's definitely what it's platform is. Change out your bars to clip ons and you'll be surprised just how close to a sport bike it feels when sitting on it...

·
Registered
856 Posts
Q: You ride a motorcycle?

A: Yeah

Q: What do you ride?

A: A Ducati

Q: What kind of bike is that?

A: It's a sexy bike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts