Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is due for an oil change this weekend. I have heard some people say change the crush washers each time while others say you can go a couple times without changing them. Change? Or not change?

·
Registered
600 Posts
They're cheep. Once they're in you're not going to touch them for another 3000 miles or so. I'd just change them so you don't have to worry about them.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, my question was more for curiosity's sake. I know they are cheap and you may as well change them. But, if the dealer didn't have any in stock for instance. Would using them again be a problem provided they are in good shape?

My dealer says they re-use them all the time. Just curious.....

G

·
I've used the same washers again several times, changed every other oil change, no problems. Never tried getting more then two changes though.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I keep a bunch of them in my tool box, but I rarely change them. I usually just flip them over & reuse them. If you detect a leak, just snug the bolt a little more. I'm all for spending money on my motorcycles (and have spend a small forture!), but spending money is different than wasting money. Wanna discuss all of the people on this board who waste a lot of money on voodoo oils?? - or throw away tires just because they picked up a nail?? - or...............

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
I've re-used them with no problem.
A better idea is just to get a different bolt with a an o-ring, then you dont need them.
that stock bolt sucks anyway.

you can get them for as little as $10

G

·
The question made me stop and figure out, I've changed my oil 28 times and replaced the washer once. Not sure why as it wasn't leaking . YMMV ;D

·
Registered
374 Posts
If you have a good duc shop, they will give you a crush washer with a filter. No need to replace them every time as long as you are not over tighening the plug bolt.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
nah I dont think ya gotta change em, unless its looking pretty ratty.. even then you could get away with sanding it flat. I've had the same one since new (unless dealer did it in the first few services) and mines a 93 model.
whats the worst thats gunna happen, weep a bit of oil?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I changed the oil on my S4R today...didn't replace the crush washer. Working good so far!

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
I actually bent one putting it back in (doh!) and I pressed it flat, sanded it and it was good to go. I'll replace it next time but it's worked fine for 6000+ miles

·
Registered
829 Posts
If the washer is made of copper, you can heat it on a gas stove until it glows, let it cool down and it should be nice and soft again. We used to do that with Alfas many times when the little thingies were out of stock.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm with Norm.

If you really want to change them and don't have ant spares, just go to your local harware store and get some appropriately sized aluminum washers. Crush just fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts