Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on Cruise controls? Which is the most unobtrusive? The palm rest is ok, but sometimes you want to shake out your right hand. I want one that doesn't require too much modification and doesn't clutter up the throttle area.

S

·
0 Posts
The rope technique although simple could be a little unsafe, especially in freeways.

you could try holding the clutch for a few seconds and shaking ur right hand. Or do all the right-hand shaking whenever u are @ the red light.

Personally, I wouldn't want to let go of any controls whatsoever.

-Spaceman.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Cruise control...... isn't that for cruisers... like Goldwings and HD's??? those bikes with air conditioning, heaters, radios, refridgerators, stoves, and bathrooms??????????

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
sounds like a list of items that shouldn't be on a monster - anyhoo - if you really want to "dress up" a monster, i suggest getting a genuine cruise control for it rather than a make-shift one.

try looking for one from Dennis Kirk or Chaparral.

P

·
0 Posts
I don't know about a cruise control...

But I do have a throttle lock on my Sprint. It is a throttlemeister, which is pretty pricey. But unless you know it is on the bike you will never see it. It won't work with bar end mirrors.

I find it very convienent when I'm sport touring long distances (like the 350 to 600 mile days). It is nice to just give your right hand a nice long break off the throttle-especially when you are doing h*ll roads like 666 in NM or many of the desert or plateau roads in AZ-straight and hot and boring.

I say if you want one, get it. Ignore the folks on the board who don't think it is cool enough for their opinion of hooligan. ;) You will probably get the same response if you ask about heated grips or electric vests. Bikes should be fun and modify it to make your riding experience better if you need to.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Gman - just messin' with ya... i've always thought of getting a cruise control but i don't do lots of freeway riding anymore. mostly twisties.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me rephrase the question, Throttle Control. I don't intend to use the throttle control very often. Mainly to shake out my hand every so often on long trips without traffic around me. I think it is safer than the left hand on right grip method. :) BMW used to have the ability to regulate the throttle return. If you set it tight enough, you could let go and the throttle would stay. You could still force the throttle closed. I don't think I like the "rope" method (unless it was black to match the dark finish.) I am just wondering which brand is the best value and least invasive. Throttlemeisters are good and EXPENSIVE!

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
A friend of mine had a 91 ninja I think it was. He was able to use the choke as a makeshift CC. Personally I wouldnt mes swith one. When I am shaking out my hand I give her some gas and then coast and clench my fist a few times and that will last for a while.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don't think I like the "rope" method (unless it was black to match the dark finish.)
I havnt ever tried the rope method either - just thought I'd throw it out there. The ones I have tried (on KZ's) were I think stock peices and were pretty intrusive. I have not tried the better more expensive pieces - but plan on it. I too have a long trip coming up in Sept - approx 12-1300 mi.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok Daffe, the passenger is covered. What about the driver?

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Good one, Daffe, Whats the price on that mod!!???

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Porcelain for Hondas: $100
Chrome for Harleys: $200
CF for Ducatis: $300

Doc

S

·
0 Posts
Try using a different grip. When I'm on the freeway, I find myself holding on like you would turn a door-nob. Or some times I grasp with just thumb and first finger while stretching the others. The Throttlemiester sounds very tempting and I have been thinking about getting one. Too many other items on the wish list though.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When I was in the Air Force, the pilots were issued "piddle bags". Literally a plastic bag with a sponge in it (Probably costs about $100.)::) A little joke for you. A fighter and a bomber were flying together. The fighter pilot decides to show off and starts flying loops around the bomber. The fighter pilot says "Impressed? What can you do?" The bomber pilot says "I just got up and went to the bathroom." ::) Reminds me of your Goldwing vs a Ducati!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts