Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to boost my 06 S2R1000 and crossed the cables. It blew the large 40A fuse which I then replaced. Now the start button does nothing. Not even a click. I got the bike started by bringing power directly to the starter so thankfully I didn't do too much damage. It starts, runs well and all electronics function but when I turn it off the button still doesn't work. What could I have fried to prevent the start button from working? Please help thanks, Frank.

·
Registered
215 Posts
when i crossed my wires, it also the smaller ignition fuse in the tail and blew up the starter solenoid. also check all the connectors for being melted or damage.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I originally wanted to boost the bike with another loose charged motorcycle battery on my work bench. When I crossed the terminals, ( pos to neg and neg to pos), I blew the large orange 40A fuse under the tank. Even after replacing it the bike still doesn't crank. I can start it by bringing the power to the starter and it does run good so I don't think there is too much damage.

I called the dealer to ask for a new starter solenoid but they said not to bother changing it cuz that's not likely the problem. You say there is a smaller ignition fuse under the tail? Can you be more specific cuz I can't find it. Any other suggestions?

That's a lot for you help,

Frank.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link. I'm sure it will help a lot. My fuses are on the right side of the bike. I checked all and the're OK. All of the wires seem fine too. So something is preventing power to the solenoid. Maybe the kickstand switch? Do you know of any other switches that might cause the problem?

Or maybe the solenoid is bad. That would be an easy fix and fairly cheap.

Thanks again,

Frank.

·
Registered
215 Posts
my solenoid was something like $50. the way i found that mine was bad is like what you did. jumping the power to the starter.

since yours is a fuel injected, i vaguely remember people posting horror stories about their computer getting damaged.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya I thought my computer was damaged but the dealer said that if it starts and runs well then the computer is fine. The computer controls things like the timing and fuel injection so it couldn't run well or at all with a bad computer.

Also all the lights and gauges work and the bike recognizes the key too.

I guess if I can't locate the problem I'll have to ride it to the dealer and have them fix it.

Thanks again,

Frank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts