Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 M900. I just received my new CRG bar end mirrors and realized that the stock bar end weights are too big. Does anyone sell a smaller diamter bar end? Any suggestions? I know that crg sells a mounting kit that goes into the bar, but I want to keep a bar end weight of some kind on the bike. Thanks, Dave

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I have mine clamped on the end of the handlebar, just move levers, switches, and throttle assy a bit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its probably easier to just get the adapter kit, this also keeps the mirrors way outside for the most functionality.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured I would probably end up getting the adapter kit. How do you get that plug out of the bar that the bar end weight screws into? Dave

·
Registered
28 Posts
My '96 M900 had threaded rubber plugs in the end of the bars for the weights. I just pulled them out with needle nose pliers.

·
Premium Member
2,052 Posts
You can get the adaptor kit, or Cycle Cat bar slider that's milled out especially for the CRG mirror.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
The trick to getting the rubber plug out of the bar is to LOOSEN but not REMOVE the screw holding the weight on and pull on the weight.

I originally bought the adaptor kit, but when I changed to clip-ons, I just mounted the controls inboard sufficiently and re-installed the weights. I like to have the weights on as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked out the Cycle Cat slider, nice but pretty $$$, a consideration nonetheless. I heard that Lockhart Phillips sells anodized bar end weights of a smaller diameter, any suggestions on who might sell them? Thanks for the tips on getting the plugs out of the bar. Dave

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I think I'm missing something here.

If you clamp the mirrors to a rubber-mounted bar end-weight, I'd think you'll end up with a lot of mirror vibration. You've added mass on a relatively long moment arm which will really whale on the compliant mounting rubber.

Has anybody done it this way?

On the other hand, if you use a hard-mounted frame slider or end-plug, you don't get any of the vibration damping in the bars that end-weights are designed for in the first plac.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don, good point, I never thought of how the mirror would react to being attached to the weight. Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don, Do you know if it is possible to slide the stock controls inward to make room for the CRG mirrors? Any consequences in doing that? That way I could keep the bar ends. Dave

·
Registered
829 Posts
I think you can, but you have to work at it. Regular Ducati, I mean DUC, control switch housings have little pegs that mate with matching holes in the OEM (DUC) handlebars. If you want to move the controls, you probably want to dremel tools those pegs out, the use two sided tape or something like that to prevent the housings from twisting.

·
Registered
829 Posts
DOn't mind the second post. I'm just trying to get to 50...

I have Renthal aluminum bars on my M800. I have the controls in, leaving about 1 inch of the bar exposed on the outside. The CRGs nestle nicely there. Most sliders will not fit on the aluminum bars because they are made for steel 7/8" bars, and their diameter is too large for the aluminum. I'd like to try some of the goodies on the LP catalog. Their bar ends seem affordable and nice.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Don, Do you know if it is possible to slide the stock controls inward to make room for the CRG mirrors?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You dont really NEED the pins and pin holes, I have rizoma clips and rather than drilling the bar i trimmed the pegs and tightened the screws. Works just fine. The bar weights slide out if you loosen the plugs and pull the whole assembly out. All in all, it is probably easier still to use the adapters...keeping in mind that you will have to remove and drill or trim the components if you want to reposition them.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I cut 1 inch off the ends of my bars and installed the mirrors on ends of bars. No problem making room. I lane split a lot and like the extra clearance. Then I have the bar ends on, too. Don't remember what brand, but got em out of the Parts Unlimited book.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is a pic of my CRG lanesplit

I don't have the bar weights just the adapter.

What are the bar weights for?????

1 - 20 of 24 Posts