Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read all the threads about this and checked their website, but I'm still unsure. Regular size verses the stubby size. Can someone explain the difference on how each sits in relation to the grips. Does one come closer to the grips than the other? Is one easier for small hands to grasp? Any advice would be greatly appreciated before I order.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind. I stopped by AMS today to check on my baby and Jeff suggested tweaking the angle of the levers. He moved them so now my wrists stay straight when I reach for them. When I get the bike back home, I'll give this a try before dropping $$ on the CRG.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
were your wrists hurting? Rotating the levers down is the first thing I suggest for that as I haven't seen a monster stock with controls that weren't way too high.

I know you said never mind on the crg question yet, but if you decide to get them: Shorty versus long is just that...no angle or closeness change. (angle you can set of course...and the reach adjusment of the roll-a-clicks is quick and easy on the fly)

If you brake with one or two fingers (and on the RS that's all you need), the shorty brake lever is nice because it's sized for two fingers only.

On the clutch side I still use three fingers in traffic and they fit but the ring finger is on the ball. If the clutch is already a hard pull, a full size lever on that side might be a good idea. Lots of people do that...one long on the left and one short on the right.

·
Banned
124 Posts
I've got small hands and CRG levers, and I know that the closest adjustment on the CRGs is closer than the closest on the stock. The adjustable stock levers had 4 positions and the CRGs have 6.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
scienceiscool said:
I've got small hands and CRG levers, and I know that the closest adjustment on the CRGs is closer than the closest on the stock. The adjustable stock levers had 4 positions and the CRGs have 6.
Is that an endorsement? Are you happy with 'em?

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
does anyone know how easy/hard these are to install on your own? I'm pretty mechanical and do lots of stuff to my car and my bike. I really want these on my bike - they make a dark navy with a gold or red lever - yummy!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I just installed CRG's over the weekend, and the hardest part of the install was taking off the pin that threads into the barrell from the old levers - major PITB! I ended up taking old the levers in to shop to get them to take out cuz i didn't want to f*&k them up anymore than I had. They ended up doing what i was going to do next, cranking down a pair of vice grips & forcing the issue...

Install was fairly easy, I used needle nose pliers to spread the hole on rubber piece to slide the pin in... inserted into hold closed, then opened up a bit, to spread the hole wide enough to insert (could probably describe this a bit better)

Make sure before taking off, you eyeball how far out from the old barrel that the pin is threaded out (again, not really sure how to word this, but you will see what I'm talking about)

After install... WOW! what a difference!! both the clutch and brake lever action much more 'linear'if you will, much better feel on the brake, and there is much less resistance on clutch lever pull. Feels like a different bike altogether...

Will someone please explain to me how installing new levers makes one's bike FASTER? ;D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got any pics Jaman?

As for it being faster, could it be that the controls are now smoother and not a struggle so you can get going faster. Or how about your state of mind is different because the bike is even more smoking hot looking. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I'm a big fan of my CRGs. They are pretty easy to install yourself... The only bone of contention is that I was told by one mechanic that it is a good idea to bleed your clutch fluid when you install the clutch, but then I have heard from a few other people that it isn't necessary. It sounds like most people don't...

In terms of the shorty levers... I have two regular size levers. A shorty brake lever is fine if you just want to use two fingers, but I would advise against a shorty clutch lever if you find yourself in traffic. Your hand gets super tired if you only havetwo fingers to pull the shorty in all the time.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sachica said:
In terms of the shorty levers... I have two regular size levers. A shorty brake lever is fine if you just want to use two fingers, but I would advise against a shorty clutch lever if you find yourself in traffic. Your hand gets super tired if you only havetwo fingers to pull the shorty in all the time.
Totally depends on the size of your hands. I've got the shorties, and all 4 of my fingers will fit, though I normally use only 3.

I'd really like to set the levers on position 1 or 2, but I have them on 3 because if I move them closer to the bar, the clutch will never fully disengage, even with the lever pulled all the way to the bar. Does anyone know if that can be remedied?

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
ro-monster said:
Totally depends on the size of your hands. I've got the shorties, and all 4 of my fingers will fit, though I normally use only 3.

I'd really like to set the levers on position 1 or 2, but I have them on 3 because if I move them closer to the bar, the clutch will never fully disengage, even with the lever pulled all the way to the bar. Does anyone know if that can be remedied?
It can be fixed. Bring it to the next wrench day and I'll fix it.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Do you ladies have the additional piece for the clutch that lets you start the bike in gear? I was debating putting this on... without it I have to put my bike in neutral to start it. This could be a little dangerous if I stalled at a light or something. I am not sure if all models need this adaptor piece, but my 05 620 does.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine will start in gear, but it's older. If it didn't come that way from the factory, someone modified it before I bought it. Having to shift to neutral all the time would be inconvenient, and as you said, could be dangerous.

·
Banned
1,362 Posts
Really? Clutch in and kickstand up?

I've even restarted mine while rolling through an intersection after stalling it (my hands were too cold for good clutch control ::))

1 - 20 of 27 Posts