Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,
I know this subject has been discussed many times before. But, upon doing a search and looking at all the posts, it appears I'm more confused than when I started.??? So, here are my questions:
1-Are these really that functional? I hate the look and functionality of the stock ones. I'm just wondering if it's awkward to look at a mirror that is placed that far out.
2-Do you have to use the Internal Bar-End Adapter Kit to install them on your bike correctly? Keep in mind, I'm not looking for the cheapest route, but the best looking and most functional.
3-The CRG site says you have a choice of Anodize Red or Hard-anodize Grey. I assume that is the pivot area only? Someone in the past said they would not buy them because they thought you could only get them in red. I have a Senna 2003 1000 with the red rims. I'm afraid the red would stick out like a sore thumb.

Thanks everyone!
Craig

S

·
0 Posts
shifting your view to the bar-ends is not much of a stretch for getting a good view behind you.
i used to have napolean baren mirrors on my bike and functionally, they were incredible! BIG field of vision for the flanks and rear. but they're kinda big 'n clunky looking in my oppinion.

next, i went to rizoma circuit 851 mirrors. while dead-sexy, they're functionally useless. and i don't mean useless like the stock mirrors, i mean USELESS.

finally, i've got CRG's on my monster now. i didn't bother with the adaptors to plug them INTO the bar-ends because i've got signals in there. i shifted my controls inboard about an inch to make room and mounted them directly on the bars. now... while i haven't actually ridden on the street yet, i've gotten some nice rear view testing in my den ;)

one thing to look out for is that i've heard that the "L-S" version's susceptible to breakage/failure, so i bought the regular version and saved a couple $$ too!

S

·
0 Posts
okay this is pretty anal, but the glass is convex, not concave. a concave shape is dished inwards while a convex shape is dished outwards for something of a "fisheye" effect.

W

·
0 Posts
You are absolutely right...

I fixed it. Lesson learned...don't post after a 15 hour work day...

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
one thing to look out for is that i've heard that the "L-S" version's susceptible to breakage/failure, so i bought the regular version and saved a couple $$ too!
Hey Strati... I just picked up a pair of the lane splitters... how exactly could they fail?

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Hey Strati... I just picked up a pair of the lane splitters... how exactly could they fail?

The early CRG Hindsight LS mirrors had a design flaw that allowed them to break somewhere around the pivot. CRG made a change that corrected whatever the problem was.

I've had mine on my bike for over a year, around 10,000 miles, with no problems at all. Two weeks ago, I low-sided hard enough to snap the cast-aluminum handlebar on my left side in half. I think the point of contact was the mirror itself (no bar-end weights). While the various pieces of the mirror assembly are scraped up pretty good, and the convex lens is shattered and gone, nothing else broke. I think I could put a new lens in it and it would still work fine.

Like Strati, I had Napoleons and felt the same: very functional but kinda fugly. I vacillated for some time before buying the CRG's; 180 bucks for mirrors just sounded stupid. But within a week, I felt it was the wisest money I could have spent on the bike.

And, they look cool...

I added a 5/16" length of 7/8" bar stock to space the righthand mirror away from the throttle. On the left side, I just jamed the mirror into the grip. No need or desire to move the controls.

M

·
0 Posts
I've been using my (non LS) CRG mirrors for over 3 years. I've never had a problem while lane splitting. The mirrors are durable and well worth the money.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I just installed a pair of the Lane Splitters last week all I can say is that I absolutely LOVE them. I can't believe that I've been riding without them. They work extreemly well & are very solid.
I opted for the grey rather than the red & I think they look as fantastic as they work. You can really see everything behind you with no problem.
The best compliment that I can come up with right now is that they look like they belong on the bike.
I installed them with the bar end adapter & it took all of a whopping 5 minutes, maybe.
Go out & get yourself a pair. I didn't see the benefit of the $180 for the mirrors either. That was until I installed them & took that first ride. Definately money well spent.

Matt

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the information. I feel a lot more informed. Looks like I will pick up a pair this week with the adapters. BTW, I contacted Chris Kelly (www.ca-cycleworks.com) and they do not carry the LS version. I know you can buy direct. Is there anywhere else you guys would recommend? Thanks again!!

R

·
0 Posts
Hi,

My name is Hung. I just bought a 2001 S4 and start adding some stuffs on it. I bought a pair of LS mirror but I am having trouble removing bar ends. I thought it was a star tool so I purchased a kit contains like 10 sizes but none of them fit then I tried to use hex tool to turn and it stripped a bit. I need your help telling me what tool to use to remove this stupid bar end.

:( very frustrated.

D

·
0 Posts
Maybe this is a stupid question, but I know the S4 has bar weights which screw into the bars. I am not to crazy about moving the controls to apply the mirrors onto the bars, so... does the female end inside the bar come out? Or does the CRG's screw into it? ???

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
If I am not mistaken the barend bolts need to be removed with an allen wrench. I'm thinking like a 5mm or so.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Just wanted to say for those of you considering CRG's not to overlook the ease of drilling your handlebars to install them without the adapters. After sliding everything in just a bit, punch a divot where you want the holes to be, then drill a hole with your smallest drillbit, and then finish with the right size bit. I got the CRG's initally because I thought they looked cool, but your rear vision is greatly enchanced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
On a S4 you have to take the bar end weights off with an allen wrench. The adaptor kit CRG sells is for a tube type bar. To use it on the aluminum bar on an S4, you have to drill out the end of the bar. I didn't want to take a drill to my foggy, so I made a couple of spacers 7/8" dia. by 3/8" long and installed them between the bars and the bar ends with allen head cap screws 3/8" longer than stock. Then I clamped the mirrors to the spacers. The LS mirrors look black to me. I got them at Williamsville Competition in Holland NY. Ride safe, chukeeee

D

·
0 Posts
On a S4 you have to take the bar end weights off with an allen wrench. The adaptor kit CRG sells is for a tube type bar. To use it on the aluminum bar on an S4, you have to drill out the end of the bar. I didn't want to take a drill to my foggy, so I made a couple of spacers 7/8" dia. by 3/8" long and installed them between the bars and the bar ends with allen head cap screws 3/8" longer than stock. Then I clamped the mirrors to the spacers. The LS mirrors look black to me. I got them at Williamsville Competition in Holland NY. Ride safe, chukeeee

Thanks Chukeeee, I have emailed a couple of different retailers trying to get that info, but no luck. You made it very clear. I am not to good at "making" stuff, so do you know where I could buy those spacers, or do you sell them? Thanks again.

M

·
0 Posts
Quick question...

Is there a significant difference between using just one bar-end mirror - as opposed to one on each side? I've seen it done both ways, and I have ordered a LS mirror for the left side. Are there regulations on rearview mirrors for motorcycles? I really didn't want to spend the other $80 for another mirror, but I will if I need to. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts