Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that said 6 percent of all track day attendees crash...Damn those statistics :mad:

I was up at Buttonwillow for a track day with the Track Club on Monday. I was having a fantastic time. I worked with one of the instructors for awhile which was a huge help. Toward the end of the day I was doing much better and had really made some progress. In my last session I was on my own focusing on the 2 turns that were giving me problems. I was thinking to myself that I needed to come in because the setting sun was driving me crazy. I decided to go around one more time and then head in. I hit one of the turns (the Bus Stop) at a good clip and the sun caught me off guard and I lost focus, I went past my turn in point so I headed for the dirt. Totally forgot about using the rear brake in the dirt and grabbed too much front brake once I got there. My bike was very unhappy with that choice and decided to spit me off into the dirt. Got up, turned the bike off and the corner workers were over by that time checking on me and loading up my poor battered bike.

I'm fine, I jammed 2 of my fingers on the clutch on my way off and I have a big bruise on my leg but then again I bruise if you look at me hard. The bike is a little battered, she now has character along with soul. I'll need a new headlight assembly, new bars and a new shifter. She now has the infamous Ducati tank dent. I should be able at some point to get it pulled out.

I'm hoping that someone here will have the parts I need. I priced stock parts and that headlight assembly is a bit spendy and the only part of mine that is salvagable is the wiring harness. If someone has parts to sell I'll be able to get back on the road quicker.

Check out my shifter all curled up

What did I get from this?

First, when you think its time to get off the track it is. Could I have made the turn? If my mind was where it should have been, definatly but I'm not sure I could have made it at that speed, that far past my turn in point. Even then, hard parts would most likely would have been dragging since I scraped through there before.

Second, my Monster is not a sportbike. It scrapes way too easily, I generally try to stay away from that but I was pushing harder than usual. Its a fantastic streetbike and I love it in the canyons and the city but I'm going to have to look into getting a track bike if I keep doing trackdays

Third, Use the rear brake in the dirt!

Yes, even with that it was a great trackday!

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
good thing it was on the track!

pm coming your way for what parts I might have [thumbsup]

*edit*
oh, and I see you still have the nub on the kickstand there, notorious for being the first thing to touch on left-handers. I'd get a grinder and pull that sucker off as fast as you can before you get the bike back on the road!

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
BMiller said:
Sorry to hear about that bro :(
ya may wanna check gender on that.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
That sucks. I'm sorry. I had pretty much the same crash at Sears. Ran off the track, pulled the front brake instead of riding the rear and BAM! was down immediately. Jammed two fingers like you did and did much of the same damage to my bike. It definitely taught me to use the rear in the dirt. Whenever I run off track now, that's the first thing I think about--stay off the front, get on the rear.

I may have an extra headlight bucket I can send ya. The reflector and lens you'll have to get from BMW. The headlight brackets can generally be bent back into shape (or they're relatively inexpensive to replace).

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
+1 on the BMW light, I paid $160 for the lens, gasket, and chrome ring. I have an extra bucket, it's a little worse for wear, but it will put you back on the road. $20 shipped and I will express it on over to you. Friday (it's thurs here) I am headed out to the junkyard, I will see if I can pocket you a shifter.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Glad you are OKAY.

Buttonwillow gets kind of crazy near the end of the day because of that darn glare. I've raced there in my Audi and have seen SEVERAL cars go off-track because of the glare.

Good luck with getting the parts fer yer baby.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
1 positive thing April..you have/had a Silver-Dark that now needs fresh paint on it!!

I loved my stock silver but the new paint ..SWEET!! [thumbsup]

Get well! Now you know what to ask for for Christmas!

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
aprilmaybe said:
I have a friend that said 6 percent of all track day attendees crash...Damn those statistics :mad:

I was up at Buttonwillow for a track day with the Track Club on Monday. I was having a fantastic time. I worked with one of the instructors for awhile which was a huge help. Toward the end of the day I was doing much better and had really made some progress. In my last session I was on my own focusing on the 2 turns that were giving me problems. I was thinking to myself that I needed to come in because the setting sun was driving me crazy. I decided to go around one more time and then head in. I hit one of the turns (the Bus Stop) at a good clip and the sun caught me off guard and I lost focus, I went past my turn in point so I headed for the dirt. Totally forgot about using the rear brake in the dirt and grabbed too much front brake once I got there. My bike was very unhappy with that choice and decided to spit me off into the dirt. Got up, turned the bike off and the corner workers were over by that time checking on me and loading up my poor battered bike.

I'm fine, I jammed 2 of my fingers on the clutch on my way off and I have a big bruise on my leg but then again I bruise if you look at me hard. The bike is a little battered, she now has character along with soul. I'll need a new headlight assembly, new bars and a new shifter. She now has the infamous Ducati tank dent. I should be able at some point to get it pulled out.

I'm hoping that someone here will have the parts I need. I priced stock parts and that headlight assembly is a bit spendy and the only part of mine that is salvagable is the wiring harness. If someone has parts to sell I'll be able to get back on the road quicker.

Check out my shifter all curled up

What did I get from this?

First, when you think its time to get off the track it is. Could I have made the turn? If my mind was where it should have been, definatly but I'm not sure I could have made it at that speed, that far past my turn in point. Even then, hard parts would most likely would have been dragging since I scraped through there before.

Second, my Monster is not a sportbike. It scrapes way too easily, I generally try to stay away from that but I was pushing harder than usual. Its a fantastic streetbike and I love it in the canyons and the city but I'm going to have to look into getting a track bike if I keep doing trackdays

Third, Use the rear brake in the dirt!

Yes, even with that it was a great trackday!
ahh Buttonwillow, i know exactly what turn you are talking about, can be a little hairy if your not paying attention.
that and 'mazda turn'
i've taken my monster to the track numerous times, at first it definetely was not a good 'track-bike' - seeing as i scraped around everyturn.
my solution: high-pipes, rear sets, ride-height adjustment, and i got my ass off the seat.

glad to hear your OK

1 - 17 of 17 Posts