Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had my first crash today, but as far as crashes go, it couldn't have been better.

I had a moment of incredible stupidity and got impatient with the slow moving traffic through a beautiful set of twisties, so I gunned it and passed... just before a very tight corner... a yellow 15.... I had thought I had more road before the corner, but I thought wrong.

I knew there was no way I could pull through the corner at the speed I was carrying (well over 60) so I jumped on the brakes and prayed...

Managed to ride out a front tire skid until I ran out of pavement, then let off the brakes just before I ran into the ditch... instant high-side, catapulting me towards a barbed-wire fence.

Since I was in that "oh crap I'm crashing" slow-motion vision thing that must be a byproduct of the adreneline or something, I actually managed to aim for the none-barbed sections of wire to grab onto with my hands to stop my flight.

My bike flopped into about 36 inches of the nastiest, gooiest, stinkiest mud I've ever seen.

My riding buddies helped get my bike on its wheels and we started to inspect for damage.

The only damage my bike sustained was losing the left side Third Eye Mirror (which I managed to reinstall when I got home) and a slightly bent hanger for the clutch fluid resevoir.

I finished the ride with muddy leathers and a muddy bike but was otherwise none the worse for the wear, other than feeling like a complete tool for making such a poor passing choice.

Moral of the story 1: sometimes it's ok to miss out on good turns.

Moral of the story 2: if you have to be an idiot and crash due to your own stupidity, do it in the country where there's really muddy ditches off the side of the road. ;D

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good to know you survived.

But always remember,

people heal, motorcycles don't. ;D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I too became a big fan of soft roadside real estate late last year...

glad you had a soft landing....

and damn don't ya just feel downright foolish afterwards? :)

....which I might add is a hell of a lot better than feeling your bones poking through outerwear

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did the people you passed at least beep and wave when the went by? Glad you're okay, Dude.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Glad you are ok, and that the bike had a soft landing!

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I had almost the same situation today but fortunately the brakes saved me 10-15 centimetres before the ditch!We should be more carefull next time!Take care!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think the Monster gods were out in force on Saturday in the Northwest - I was exceeding the speed limit along a winding stretch of road in my neighbourhood of Seattle and rounded a corner to see another biker flashing his lights. I am not very astute normally, and I thought he was responding to my wave, so the gods sent another biker 2 seconds later, waving his arm furiously *Ding* must slow down. Around the next corner, a cop with a radar gun. Never saw another biker before or after that cop.........spooky!

Glad to hear you are ok. ;D I will be burning SUVs as a sacrifice today ;)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
welcome to the club of those who survived their stupidity.
i'm a 6 year member now, and the lesson hasn't left me yet.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At least you didn't hear
"Hey Boy you got a purty mouth"!!!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A lot of luck went around today.

Ryan, I am glad that you and the bike are well.

Dark, The way your insurance goes up, you sure are lucky.

Best Regards,

Tom.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts