1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
426 Posts
Dont do it. Your factory vent works and won't spit oil on your rear tire. If you want to put a billet crankcase check valve on for looks and better sealing fine but leave the pumbing alone.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
been wondering that myself...looks nice, but sounds scary. not worth it, huh?

O

·
0 Posts
lots of riders do this with their bikes with no ill effects. i have done this to my bike. i removed the box but i used the stock breather hose with the filter attached to the end of the hose. seems to work fine.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Dont do it. Your factory vent works and won't spit oil on your rear tire. If you want to put a billet crankcase check valve on for looks and better sealing fine but leave the pumbing alone.
I did this mod last year with a Nichols breather and K&N filter... one of the first mods I ever did. It looks good, but I'm regretting it now. Getting some blow by out of the filter, and I'm worried that at some point I'll get a good amount on the rear tire. I tossed the vent box long ago.... can I just run some tubing up to the airbox as an alternative?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Magnus, I have the stuff to go back to stock if you want it. You pay for packaging and shipping its yours.

If you are not over filling your oil you should not be getting blow bye through the filter unless you are really riding the bike hard and at good lean angles.

This mod is sheerly for looks only. It will not add or subtract from you HP.

I got blow bye for the first couple of days, but then it stopped and I haven't had a proble since.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Magnus, I have the stuff to go back to stock if you want it. You pay for packaging and shipping its yours.

If you are not over filling your oil you should not be getting blow bye through the filter unless you are really riding the bike hard and at good lean angles.

This mod is sheerly for looks only. It will not add or subtract from you HP.

I got blow bye for the first couple of days, but then it stopped and I haven't had a proble since.
Hey, thanks for the offer, Andrew. I'd rather not go back to the stock setup if I can avoid it... that's ugly clutter I could do without. You don't get any blow by anymore? I see it on the coil spring and the immediate area surrounding the breather. My oil level is fine. Maybe I'm being paranoid... but without a rear hugger, an oil dump would hit the rear tire directly.

I would rather run it up to the airbox, or better yet add a length of tubing to raise the filter up a bit from the breather. Anybody do this with good results?

O

·
0 Posts
lots of riders do this with their bikes with no ill effects. i have done this to my bike. i removed the box but i used the stock breather hose with the filter attached to the end of the hose. seems to work fine.

Magnus here is a picture

S

·
0 Posts
i've unplumbed my s4's engine and i haven't noticed any appreciable loss in power. i confess i was going for looks and weight savings when i decided to go this route. ditched the airbox in favor of pod filters and ditched all the overflow [email protected] in favor of a filter.

that said, when i stuff the 998 motor in, i'm going to reincorporate the blow-by stuff. planning on using a valve-less STM breather that be plumbed into a large-volume low-profile "bottle" that will run the length of the frame from the fuel-tank back to the tail-light. if i'm stuffing a 998 motor in for the extra power, i may's well keep the extra power! the 998 motors are also known to have a bit more blow-by than the other duc-motors so i'd like to keep my rear tire oil-free.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts