Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bummer....... :mad:I just noticed an oil leak on my new 2002 M900, ~ 450 miles 1 week old!, It appears to be coming from the bottom of the two main crank cases.

I'm not sure what I'm asking here maybe just some moral support. It is under warranty but the idea of the whole engine being disassembled so early is really upsetting. All the nice factory torque marks and such. Has anyone had this happen to them and what is the general confidnce level of the local dealers mechanical ability and thoroughness? All comments welcomed.

M

·
0 Posts
have you identified and isolated the leak yet? the oil drain plug is right about there... also check the filter to see if it's hand tight... and there's the prefilter screen on the right side... there's also the crankcase breather valve (plastic piece of crap) on the right behind the vertical cylinder. i've also seen oil leak out of the alternator wire seals on the left side. and of course there is the shifter seal and counter sprocket seal, not likely but a possibility. another leak source is the clutch slave cylinder, it's totally separate from the oil but can appear similar. wipe it down, go for a short ride, then try to identify the source of the leak.

not at all saying it couldn't or wouldn't happen but there's a bunch of other more likely leak sources rather than between the cases. either way it sounds like a warranty issue if you can't easily resolve it. if it is the cases that'll be a major overhaul to repair.

as to your dealer's competence... well that's a crap shoot unfortunately. my experience has been more disappointing than pleasurable overall. i started doing my own maintenance on the 900 way back when because i didn't like taking it in and paying someone else to jack it up when i could do it just as easily and with more aplomb... this lesson has only been reinforced with my recent warranty issues on the s4... but as far as i'm concerned until the warranty is up it's their problem to fix. i've got a back up ride and a lot of patience. when that warranty goes out the window on the s4 i'll be hitting up c.kelley and the like with all kinds of 4v maintenance q's...

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MarkV,

Thanks for the response. I went to ride it to work today when I noticed this so I only spent 15 minutes or so looking. It appears there is no oil on the right crankcase; oil, screen and filter points but I'll degrease it and look for sure. I'm a little puzzled that they only use fluid gaskets on the cases. The bead along this junction is hanging loose: don't know if this means anything I'll also check the bolt torques in that area.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
when that warranty goes out the window on the s4 i'll be hitting up c.kelley and the like with all kinds of 4v maintenance q's...
self reliance is a beautiful thing and lots of ducatisti happily support others being self reliant. :)

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I completely agree, I would rather do it myself but then again I'm not so sure the first time I put a wrench to it I want to do a complete engine tear down. I wonder if that would void warranty, could they tell?

BTW, I've owned my XR600 for 12 years, done all my own maintenace without a single oil leak.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Hey Mark V,

What sealant are you using in place of the gasket on cases? I don't think Cycle Riders is ever going to get the right side crankcase cover gasket I need to go after my oil leak around the clutch (they supposedly have everything else set aside for me).

Although it's not a crisis, I want to be able to fix it before I have to throw a new clutch pack in there in another 1-2K miles.

Mark J

M

·
0 Posts
i've been using permatex ultra grey rtv silicone... resistant to oil and temps up to 625 F. i've got a tube of it in my garage but it can probably be sourced at any auto parts shop. i'm using this with my valve covers and the the left side case after the flywheel install. i've got about 6k since my rebuild and no leaks thus far.

if it's any indication.... the same "place" is responsible for having my motorcycle for the past four mounths and counting. they haven't exactly impressed me as being motivated. unfortunately this apathy seems common along the central east coast of florida.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What a relief :) It wasn't the two main crankcase covers. A little disturbing but the alternator cover hex bolts were only finger tight from the dealer????? I torqued them now no leak.

So any new owners you may want to spot check yours.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
The stuff used by Ducati is also the same stuff as used by Yamaha (Yamabond 4) or Suzuki (Suzukibond I believe) I use the Hondabond stuff I get from work. It works great and I havent had a problem with it.

O

·
0 Posts
the front of the alternator cover where the wires pass thru, the cover screws were all lose, when i noticed the same thing this spring.

M

·
0 Posts
see i didn't even think about the side covers not being torqued down... good thing it was a simple fix. one screw maybe but a couple says there was a miss. might wanta look over any other fasteners to see what else wasn't torqued down before it leaks or falls off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a bit of a leak coming from the top valve cover. (2002 620 ie) I have replacement gaskets, but I'm not sure of the torque specs. I'm a bit confused by the spec sheet on the Ducati.com web site.
Thanks folks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts