Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month I bought a 2003 800 dark after one demo ride. At the time the ride was comfortable. I am 5' 11" and weigh in around 180lbs.

After riding for 15 to 20 minutes my legs are cramping up and feel as if I can't move from my knees down. I plan to commute 40 miles each way into SF once the break-in period is done, but don't want to risk a stoned cold leg in traffic. Whats the deal doc?? This is my first road bike. My last bikes had a dirt stance ~ 2-stroke RM250 and a 4-stroke 400s and ride w/no problems.

Any advice??

·
Super Moderator
613 Posts
1) Stretch out before riding.
2) If you're over 40, take Osteo Bi-Flex.
3) Take a multi-vitamin with Magnesium.
4) Drink lots of fluids.
5) Make sure your pants legs are not binding anywhere.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
I think a lot of us out there are at significantly taller than that. I know I'm 6'4" and change, a lot of it legs, and I can ride the monster w/o that problem. It's not real comfortable legroom wise, which is why I'll be moving to an ST_ or SBK eventually, but I digress. It shouldn't be that bad, I agree to check your pants and your posture. I stretch periodically but 40 miles should be no problems. Maybe the hard-ass seat, pun intended, is making your legs fall asleep? Try keeping your feet flatter on the pegs instead of on your toes if you're not doing that.
What kills me going to SF from the east bay is the crappy-ass freeways and having to stand on my pegs for so long on the 24 and 580...

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're just not used to the riding position. Give it a couple weeks, and you'll be fine. I'm 6ft 165, and had the same concerns, but now I can be on the bike for an entire day.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm 6' 190 and occasionally I will get a cramp but only after 2 hours of riding. Even though it probably looks kind of goofy... I will straighten my legs out and prop them up on my frame sliders while riding. People will stare but who cares....It's kinda like pickin' your nose while driving. It gets the job done.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I had the same problems when I first hopped on my Duc for more than 30 min. It passes just takes some getting used to...really!

More knees less arms, stretch a little you'll be fine.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
give me the bike that sould solve the cramp thingy with your leg. WOW!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think it happens on most tall dudes... I have the same problem and I am 6,3 I have to stop and rest every 50 miles on freeway ride.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
... might also want to get some aerobic exercise in during the week to keep the lower extremities toned up as well as keeping your endurance up.

also every so often squeeze the tank with your knees to keep the blood flowing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi, i am 6'4" and had much better experience with a sargent seat. The stock one is horrible. I am looking for rearsets and am making it a personal mission to figure out an inexpensive way to get the pegs back and LOWER ( autocad! here i come). Most kits seem to want to go back and UP( which is good for track days and the short peeps).
Cyclecat are muy expensive and have a limited adjustment range for tall guys( otherwise they are the bomb!).
Allycat said she may have found a guy to make custom ones.
More details to follow. I may end up making some brackets like some other folks here. I also have a pair of really ugly chrome footpeg kit designed for cruisers that i am going to try the next time i have a long ride.
The good thing about the tiny tank is that you get to stretch every 2 hours or so. Of course you could also try using the passenger pegs to relax a little on the highway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same thing. I have an m900s. After riding, my left achilles tendon aches for 2 days. I'm 6'2 190lbs.

My other bike is a Rune. The Rune is more comfortable, faster (Honest) and handles nearly as well. I know it's huge and some people think it's ugly. I have to ride it for 2 days until my soreness from the monster goes away.

Still, when the weather gets nice the monster calls to me. The monster is great fun. I'll never forget my first wheelie on it, it was completely an accident.

Dirk

·
Registered
259 Posts
6-2 and 200+.

My $0.02 - You shouldn't be in the seat long enough for your legs to cramp.

The stock seat is hard and narrow for a reason. You should be leaning in the corners and hanging off. Lifting yourself out of the seat over rough bits etc. If you move (and don't just sit there) your legs will get enough movement. The fact that my heal hits my thigh when I have the balls of me feet on the pegs makes moving around pretty easy.

I commute on my Monster and find the only time my legs cramp up is when traffic is horrible and nothing is moving. But then streching out the legs during the slow bits is never a problem.

If you don't like hanging off etc., just go for a hour+ ride and your buttock will burn so much you will be squirming back and forth to releive the pain. Then just keep doing it.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
leg cramps.

you're riding 40 miles and cramping after 20 minutes on a Duc? simple. follow these directions. when riding, after sufficient warm-up, rotate right hand twist-grip clockwise until stop. experience much needed acceleration and exhilaration. arrive from 40-mile journey in 20 minutes. park bike, stretch. at end of day lather, rinse, repeat.

drive it like you stole it, or you can just get some Mydol for your cramps. pussy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
everyone is different and not suited to what they like, if you really love the bike try getting more fit and accustomed to it or just get another bike, lots of them out there. ducati's are not known for their comfort!! but great handling and good looks, just like women many are GREAT! to look at and !!!! but not be with every day of your life!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts