Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently placed an ad on Craigslist for my bike. I keep getting these weird replies in my email and the majority seem to be from Yahoo accounts. Sometimes the fonts are off or certain words are mispelled and don't seem legitimate. Some have links they want you to click on which I don't. What I'm wondering is, what is the scam? are they just trying to get my email address. I'm aware of the different scams like sending too much money in a cashier's check then asking for the difference back but not sure why I keep getting these emails that seem like they're just interested in getting me to reply.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently placed an ad on Craigslist for my bike. I keep getting these weird replies in my email and the majority seem to be from Yahoo accounts. Sometimes the fonts are off or certain words are mispelled and don't seem legitimate. Some have links they want you to click on which I don't. What I'm wondering is, what is the scam? are they just trying to get my email address. I'm aware of the different scams like sending too much money in a cashier's check then asking for the difference back but not sure why I keep getting these emails that seem like they're just interested in getting me to reply.
It could be that they are trying to get you to click on a link which then sends you to a website with some sort of back door program that slaps a key logger onto your machine. Then all they have to do is wait for you to shop online for an item and now they have your CC info. Or maybe they get your email address and pretend to be your bank and ask for account info, etc.

A good browser like Mozilla, Mozilla addons such as noscript, adblocker, and a good virus protection program (Not Macfee or Norton!!!), and a firewall should protect you from most stuff but do not ever download or run anything from a unknown website or email. IMHO always treat everyone on the net as you would a stranger in the real world. Some are good, some are beign, others are evil, so be cautious.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good advice. I never click on any links and I'm skeptical about even replying to most of the emails. Most of them have an address like: john [email protected] and have capital letters where they shouldn't be, weird fonts, and even numerous misspelled words. Unfortunately, I could be passing up on a real potential buyer

·
Registered
185 Posts
Craigslist is also used by spammers to harvest e-mail addresses and to drive traffic to sites of various repute. I wouldn't go to any of the sites to make sure they're not laden with malware, but for the most part if someone doesn't identify himself/herself as being local and interested in your ad, just disregard it. Anyone who says that they'll have a proxy pay by check is also a scam.

The good news is that not everybody on CL is a scam... it's actually where I found my Monster. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I recently sold my Yamaha VStar 1100 on craigslist. Then I was able to get my Monster 696. Yeah!! But that's another story :)

I got a lot of scam emails from people wanting to send me some form of cashiers check. They're basically saying they are going to buy the bike site unseen. Their "agent" will come pick up the bike. They usually ask for a bunch of personal info so they can send you the check. Some want to do a bank transfer and ask for your bank info. In all cases, it's obvious that English is not their first language. Poorly formed sentences, misspelled words, and really bad grammar!

I also posted an ad for the VStar in the Denver Post Online Classifieds (since I live in Denver, CO). The Post shotguns your ad to a bunch of other affiliated newspapers and online classifieds around the country. The number of scam emails I received from these other newspapers was staggering. The good thing about this venue, is that they provide blind email, so you can reply to the scammers without revealing your true email address. They only know you as some online classified username. I would have some fun and tell them just how obvious their scam is. And maybe they should consider getting a real job since they're not very good scam artists!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts