Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 monster 750, never dropped and there has developed a 1-2 mm crack in the outside of the lower aluminum cross bar that attaches the forks.
Has anyone every seen this before and I don't know what to do, the local dealer is telling me to take to where I bought it but that is now 500 miles away. Any suggestions?

Esa

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Are you talking about the lower Triple Clamp???

If so, I would strongly advise you to take the thing back in a truck.

Don't ride it

Might be a Duc warranty issue

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Chris is right, if it is a warranty issue any Duc dealership should take care of it, the shop that tries to send you away is simply lazy :mad: :mad:. They are required to perform the service (its in the manual if you want to show them). Don't ride it call DNA and have them deal with the lousy service people and make sure they know that you are unhappy. :'(

A cracked triple clamp is a serious safety issue and you need to express that concern to DNA and gently request that the local shop take care of it ASAP.

Good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
i'll also chime in to NOT ride the bike. if it were the top tripleclamp, it would still suck but not as great a safety issue. most of the load/forces apply to the bottom tripleclamp. you ride that thing much longer, it's falling apart.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input....... I was thinking of taking a picture of the lower cross bar and send it to Ducati North America with my info and wonder how long and if I'd get any response. I am in Southern Ca (LA area) and bought it up North.
I was totally surprised by the dealer response when I called to make an appointment to bring it in. I won't mention the dealer but I had heard they were good, but now I hesitate to bring the bike to them if this is the kind of reaction and service I'll get.

Esa :-/

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Hi Esa,

I'd really like to hear what dealer told you to go away. I need to never ever recommend that dealer to anyone ever again.

LA region dealers that I know of:
Pro Italia, Beverly Hills Ducati, Spectrum Ducati in Irvine, European Cycle Specialties (ECS) in Garden Grove, Del Amo. Also, Aprilia/Ducati of Oceanside has quite the fan base in LA area.

Simply telling a Ducati dealer or DNA that the lower triple clamp is breaking should garner much attention.

Good luck,
Chris

Thanks for the input.......

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Hmmm...I'll be at ProItalia tomorrow to get some valve shims. Because my two closest dealers, put together, couldn't come up with the 9 shims I needed. AFAIK, the shims are the same for all 4 valve Ducs, that have been sold for the last 15 years or more.

There's what, 7 million people in the greater LA area, and there doesn't seem to be a dealer with a consistently good rep.

Perhaps I should ask PI if they've ever heard from anyone with a cracked tripleclamp on a Monster?

·
Registered
796 Posts
They are probably just lazy. Post a pic up on here and we can tell you exactly what the part is and how serious the crack is. Call them back sounding very well informed and not taking "no" for an answer and you may get a different response.
You can always Email me a pic and I will post it
[email protected]

·
Registered
796 Posts
OMG you guys have to see this! Do not ride this bike!
A dealer should send a truck to come pick this bike up and fix it for you

(I deleted my link cause Speeddog posted a big shot of it on the next page)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Oh, I forgot to tell you what the part is, Its the lower triple tree or fork brace. The aluminum has cracked ALL THE WAY THROUGH on the right side collar. It is VERY dangerous and if you ride it you may DIE! I am not being dramatic, its true. You need to call Pro Italia or whoever and tell them you have a serious issue with the lower fork brace, it has cracked all the way through on the right hand fork clamp and will probably completely fail if you ride it. Tell them it has not been in any sort of accident or tip over.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I agree, you're probably past the duct tape fix. I'd also throw a rock thru the window of the dealership that chose to ignore you. If you were near me, I'd stop whatever I was doing I repair or replace it on the spot.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
holy flopping fork, Batman!

i can't believe a dealer saw that and sent you on your way. i'm not a lawyer, but i think the dealer seeing that and not informing you of the safety issue could lead to a major lawsuit if you crashed. i would think DNA should be interested in that.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Judas Priest :eek:

That's scary bad. Definitely don't ride it.

I was at ProItalia today (sunday), and the guy that does the warranty stuff wasn't there. The parts guy said they have a 2-3 week wait on service, and whoever Esa talked to may have told him that, and may have suggested that he take it back to the dealer he bought it from to get it fixed quicker. Nonetheless, still a lame response. Personal opinion here, somewhat bolstered by the parts guy's comments, but I suspect that many of ProItalia's customers have more money than sense, so ProItalia may not be very eager to help on low-profit stuff like warranty work. This is all third hand information at best, so more details from Esa may shed more light on the situation.

He mentioned that the guys at SoCal Ducati in Brea were sitting on their hands, with not much to do (spoken with a fair bit of disrespectful tone :mad:). They have only had the Duc dealership for about a year, and may not be totally up to speed on all things Ducati, but it's just swapping out a triple clamp, nothing particularly difficult about it.

Esa, whereabouts are you located? There may be a decent dealer that's closer than SoCal in Brea....

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
I live in the Thousand Oaks area...

So Brea or Pro Italia?

(Esa tosses a coin in the air with a prayer to the moto gods....)..... ???

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
Did you actually have the bike in at Pro Italia to show them the damage and they turned you away?

Or did you call in your (less-than-technical) description of the problem on the phone?

I am having trouble believing a dealer could see that damage first-hand and could send someone back out on the road with it....

criminal neglect and reptilian moral-code if that's the case

1 - 20 of 37 Posts