Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:-/ Does anyone have trouble with these little bastards working themselves loose? I've already lost one and I have to check them after every ride / when I get gas / whenever I even think about it. I catch it on its way out with a turn or two left every week or so, no matter how tight I get it. Stupid thumbscrews :mad:
Just curious.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
You're talking about the seat cowl, right?

Unless you're taking it off and putting it back on all the time, try some medium strength Loctite on them.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I'm afraid my girlfriend won't ride pillion again. I scared her last time I think. Plus the monster sucks for two-up anyway. I figured I would lock-tite it but I wondered if it was a common thing or just annoying me on my bike, and I wanted to be able to take it off with relative ease if I so needed. Oh well...

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I lost one the first couple of weeks of owning my monster :mad:. I check the remaining screw as often as possible as you do and it does seem to work itself loose in no time. Loctite sounds nice but I do have to take it off for the wife occasionally.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I managed to go five and a half years without losing a cowl screw, then when I as about to take the bike in for its 18,000 mile service I noticed that I had just barely lost one. I suppose it helped that I had the original seat in my garage with no cowl and the Corbin seat on the bike with the cowl attached. If I needed to take a passenger, I would always just swap seats instead of taking the cowl off. I only took it off once from the Corbin seat, when I was giving a ride to a stranded 916 owner.

By the way, I think I have one or two leftover cowl screws (and a stock seat) if anybody needs one. You have to pick them up in person though (this is the San Francisco Bay Area local group you know).

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll take a cowl screw! :D Fantastic. I'll be riding saturday so maybe get it then if that is okay?

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I'll take a cowl screw! :D Fantastic. I'll be riding saturday so maybe get it then if that is okay?
I'll be in Mexico on Saturday. I won't be around until March 8. You'll have to arrange a time to stop by after that. E-mail is the best way to contact me (after I'm back).

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mexico, eh? that's rough.
Well, I will PM you to get those after you get back. And some M-80s ::)

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Mexico, eh? that's rough.
Well, I will PM you to get those after you get back. And some M-80s ::)
Like I would try sneaking explosive devices onto an airplane and through customs with the current security alert levels. I'm about ready to rescind the offer just for making such a suggestion. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know, being from southern california the idea of flying to Mexico never even occured to me. I guess sneaking them in in your shoes on a plane isn't such a hot idea...
have fun though!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts