Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wsa looking at gloves at a motorcycle shop the other day, and I could not believe that this product was even made. It was Joe Rocket, and they were fingerless gloves with the carbon fiber knuckles!!! Now that just makes NO sense at all. I'm suprised the shop would even sell a product like that!!
But I did see a nice pair of JR's with armour that fit great and were very comfy, might just have to get them??

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I wsa looking at gloves at a motorcycle shop the other day, and I could not believe that this product was even made. It was Joe Rocket, and they were fingerless gloves with the carbon fiber knuckles!!! Now that just makes NO sense at all. I'm suprised the shop would even sell a product like that!!
But I did see a nice pair of JR's with armour that fit great and were very comfy, might just have to get them??

seems that their emphasis is more on appearance and attitude.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm a little lost here what is wrong with the function of the gloves? (as I have a pair) I'm not big on appearance, and I consider myself to have a pretty laidback attitude. I'm just curious DUCnHAR why you were so disgusted by the gloves? I thought they offered a little added protection in the knuckles and I haven't had any problems with them. what potential hazard do you see that I didn't I guess in my question

W

·
0 Posts
Speaking only for myself here...

Fingerless gloves, while better than nothing at all, don't really offer much protection. In a fall, your palm and fingertips are the most susceptible to damage. The problem is, your palm is better protected than your fingertips because it is generally thicker and "meatier". It's rather easy to grind your fingertips to the bone on even a low speed slide.

To tell the truth, I find that deerskin perforated gloves are even more comfortable than fingerless gloves. They allow a pretty decent airflow even at lower speeds and your fingers will not get sun or wind burn. Another glove I find to be pretty well made and comfortable is the Joe Rocket Phoenix Glove.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
... I think she's talking about the "fingerless" part... if it has CF knuckles, it seems that it should be major protection for the hand... and as such, should also have fingers on it.

It's kinda like having a 2-piece Dainese fully armored race suit and wearing the jacket, helmet, gloves for the upper body but shorts and sandals for the lower body.

However, looks like it's more protection if you're into wearing fingerless gloves than the standard ones that sometimes come with cut-out knuckles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
ok "fingerless" i've been working for 16 hours straight as of now and thought I saw "fiberglass" now that I've read it a little better and completly embarassed myself I have to agree that is pointless...........now if you'll excuse me I'm going hide somewhere

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
it's ok... being a workaholic isn't like being condemned... okay - maybe slightly condemned...

i have 4 days/week where I can take the bike out and go riding whenever I want but I have family-type commitments so those 4 days are mostly taken up. not much riding for me unless I plan them ahead of time (say 3 - 5 days in advance).

anyone else working less than 20 hrs/week besides me who still can't get out to go riding more than 1x/week?

as far as those gloves go, it seems that they're designed for the posers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know what you mean about having to plan your riding time, I only work 14 days a month but I work 12 hr shifts 7pm to 7am for the guys you never want to see behind you while on your bike...you know who I'm talking about. anyway as far as the "FINGERLESS" :-[ gloves go definatly for the posers that just want to look "tough" anyway good luck finding some time to ride daffe

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
... I'm thinking of doing the "get up around 5 a.m." to go riding sort of deal to get more time in. At present, it's so hot out here (90 - 100 degrees) that I'd hate to get stuck out in the searing streets in leathers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
lol 5 am I'm sure your neighbors will love that......or will learn to. The ride home from work on the weekends at 7am are sheer bliss. There is nobody on the road at 7am its just me the monster and 16 miles of twisty, hilly, brand new black topped freeway. I know its only 16 miles from work to home but sometimes its the little things ya know

·
Registered
447 Posts
"It's kinda like having a 2-piece Dainese fully armored race suit and wearing the jacket, helmet, gloves for the upper body but shorts and sandals for the lower body. "

It's like the idiots I see riding with racing leathers and no helmets!

S

·
0 Posts
My dealer sold me these..anyone know about HELD gloves.??

i find them comfortable, they are ventilated..have kevlar padding orsomething on the fingers and thumb area, with hard armoured knuckles.

-Spaceman.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
When my brother got hit on the freeway in San Diego a few years ago I remember seeing him in the hospital, his leg crushed with pins sticking out of it, massive areas of road rash covered by that yellow plastic skin-stuff, etc...

To this day, the thing that still gives me the creeps was his hands. He wasn't wearing gloves and it seems that as he was sliding down the freeway he tried to stop himself by clawing at the concrete and by the time he stopped he had ripped out most of his fingernails.

I'd ride in shorts and a t-shirt before riding without good (full finger) gloves.

--Fillmore

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
My dealer sold me these..anyone know about HELD gloves.??

i find them comfortable, they are ventilated..have kevlar padding orsomething on the fingers and thumb area, with hard armoured knuckles.

-Spaceman.
Held gloves are the best. I have a summer pair and just bought a warmer pair at Laguna. Kinda spendy, but really well put together - deerskin, Kevlar, CE armor foam over the knuckles, studded palm, plus they fit me wonderfully.

As for the fingerless issue, just think about what you do if you trip on something - you put your hand out to take the impact of the fall - it is a reflex. You do the same on a bike, so Wolvie is correct that your palm and fingers need the protection.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Held gloves are the best... Kinda spendy, but really well put together - deerskin, Kevlar, CE armor foam over the knuckles, studded palm,
I bought a pair and got in a mild (I believe) low-side. Slipped on some grit pulling into a gas station. While the Helds protected me just fine, I was rather unsettled by the damage they took from pulling into a gas station. One burst seam on the palm, and more than a few studs pulled out. This may not seem like much, but meanwhile my jeans showed no noticeable damage, and my leather jacket just took a few scuffs that I wouldn't consider structural and didn't repair in any way.

Of course, I have no other gloves or accidents to compare this to. So maybe I just stuck out that hand really hard, or it hit some especially nasty pavement.
Rene Carlos

1 - 20 of 30 Posts