Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Duc has developed a miss at idle when it's cold.

Even with the FCR's it would alway start first go, no throttle & just lump over (i love that sound) as it warmed up.

Now it has a noticable miss when it's idling cold, which is just enough to shut the engine down. I find i have to hold a few revs on it now to get it over the miss. Once it's warm, no miss, no problem!

It stalled twice on me today taking off cold when it missed.

I've ordered a set of Dyna Coils from Chis today, had always planned to get them anyway.

Would it be the std coils breaking down?
Maybe the HT Leads?
Plugs are new Iridium DPREIX-9

Any idea where to start?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
FCR's don't have a choke, so you're going to have to compromise...

You may be able to richen up the idle mixture a bit, and have it be a little lean for when the engine's cold, and then it'll be a little rich for when it's hot. You'll probably have to fiddle with it periodically as the ambient temperature gets colder during winter, and then warms up again in spring.

It may be that the stronger spark of the Dynas will cover it, as the stock coils may be getting weak. Usually ignition maladies become evident when you're really running hard, rather than at idle, though.

I have no FHE with FCR's or Dynas or 2V Ducs, so this is more of a general concept...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nick,
I've been meaning to fatten up the idle side, & the off idle side for a while now, just haven't got around to it. I've gone up dramatically from the base main jet size (WOT side) & it's left it a bit rough around the bottom end.

But it's been that way for months, so this appears to be a new problem, defiately seems electricial. It's a noticable hesitation. Hope the coils & leads fix it. Might take it to the Auto Elec guy in town & see if he can put some meters on it.

PS: Hey Nick, we don't have winters here ;D ;D ;D ;D
Just another $hitty day in Paradise!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Nick,
Electrical my A$$, you were spot on! I played with the idle mixture screw, wound it out to 1-1/4 instead of the base 3/4 setting, no miss, idles suuuperb & runs heaps better, a lot more tempermental down low.

Thanks for the tip!

When the dynacoils arrive, can only get better ;D ;D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts