Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious:

If you go with the Ducati lightweight flywheel, what is the cost of the mod, parts & labor, if you have your dealer do it?

If you go with the Nichols flywheel, what is the cost of the mod, parts & labor, if you have your dealer do it?

I'm only in town weekends, and the resulting precious family time means I don't have time to do the mod myself, even if it's simple.

Jim G

S

·
0 Posts
I'm curious:

If you go with the Ducati lightweight flywheel, what is the cost of the mod, parts & labor, if you have your dealer do it?

If you go with the Nichols flywheel, what is the cost of the mod, parts & labor, if you have your dealer do it?

I'm only in town weekends, and the resulting precious family time means I don't have time to do the mod myself, even if it's simple.

Jim G
i'd guess 2 hours labor. not cuz it takes quite that long, but it prolly would take a bit more than 1 hour. drain the oil, pull the side cover, heat up the crank nut, remove crank nut, transfer alternator drum to new f'wheel, CLEAN crank thread, install new f'wheel, TORQUE nut to spec with red locktite, clean up the races on the motor and case cover, apply goo, install case cover.
dunno about the DP unit, but the nichols bit costs around $200.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Strati, for the detailed repsonse, which I'm sure will be helpful to others as well! ;)

Jim G

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen a posting that advises against lightening an existing STANDARD Ducati flywheel, because you machine away the balancing holes when you do so. This unbalances the flywheel apparently, unless someone then rebalances it for you at additional cost.

I'm sure this problem does NOT exist if you buy a factory-made Ducati lightweight flywheel.

Jim G

·
Registered
294 Posts
Do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I think I paid a little over $100 for the labor...so maybe 1.5 hours? I bought mine from redracingparts in Italy, which is exactly the same as the FBF one (it even says "ferracci" on it), for about 1/2 the price of the FBF.

S

·
0 Posts
i initially ran a stock unit that BCM turned down. no issues whatsoever with balance. any experienced machinist should have no problem balancing the stock unit when turning it down on a lathe.
that said, the results with the turned down stocker were noticable but not that dramatic. great alternative to aftermarket cost-wise, but i definately think the nichols is worth the extra $$ if you've got the liberty to spend.

H

·
0 Posts
I just bought a DP light alloy flywheel, about $200. Probably won't put it on until I get some riding in, though. I want to be able to compare the old vs. new, and since I really haven't ridden in several months, I probably wouldn't be able to appreciate the new mod...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ordered a Nichols flywheel for my S4, and it will be installed this Friday during my 600 mile service. I'll report on how it affects the bike!

Jim G

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I'm running a BCM lightened stock flywheel.

Lemme just say that Bruce has been doing this for YEARS. If there were balance issues, he'd know about and he'd either make sure to address balance, or he'd stop doing it.

As Strati said, the difference is noticeable. Helped with rev matching (bacause the engine spins up and down more quickly) and quick shifting. I haven't tried anything lighter so I can't comment there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts