Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for rearsets for my 696. I am interested in the Motowheels Corse rearsets. Right now they are on sale at the best price of any of the sets out there.

Who has experience with them? I am interested in learning about the range of adjustability. I see the Woodcraft ones out there, but the lowest position is about 2" higher than stock. I need more legroom than that, and thats why I am looking at other sets.

I also cannot find any reason for 696 / 1100 rearsets costing more than any other Monster sets. I am looking for NON passenger pegs, so the price should be the same, but they are not. Anyone have a theory?

Jim

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm not sure about the 696, but the Rizoma S*R sets work on the 1100. For the 1100 you have to either get creative with the brake line or buy a longer one (about $60).

I went this route after seeing some other guys pull it off, and saved a couple hundred bucks over the specific 696/1100 sets. I never ride two up and don't have a preference on looks between the two sets, so it was a no brainer for me.

close up with my temporary 'creative' routing until I got the new longer line:

·
Registered
8 Posts
H20, The increase in price is most likely due impart to the newer release of the 696/1100 series bikes. Manufacturers are just trying to make a quick buck. IMO you are doing the right thing and exploring your options.
The Rizoma rearsets are nice but way overpriced for what they are. In theory you could put the S*R rearsets on your bike because the Rizoma specific set for the 696 is also made for the 1100 and sense we know that the S*R version will work the 1100 it stands to reason it could also work on your bike. The price difference between the two rearsets is negligible though IMHO, just 100 bones from what i saw after hitting a few sites, roughly $600 for the S*R rearsets, unless you are sold on sticking with Rizoma however it appears you're not. The above is just my line of reasoning though, haven't personally attempted that on my bike.
Personally, i'm looking at the Sato rearsets but i like the Corse ones as well. I need to retain the passenger foot pegs and the Sato's will allow me to do that and save even more money over the Rizoma one's that are outrageously expensive for being just pieces of metal with almost no moving parts. If Course offered the passenger foot pegs i would probably go with them because i think they would be still be less money while accomplishing the intended task.
Just my 2 cents though, good luck with your endeavor!

misterburns, Thanks for sharing your install with the S*R rearsets, it's amazing how a company can charge more for essentially the same exact thing. If i do decide to go Rizoma i now know how to play the system for a little less cash out of my wallet.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reaper...Corse sets do have the option for passenger $155

I too like the Sato's. I am willing to spend about $500 ( I actually dont want to spend a dime) and get rid of those ugly rearset wings that are on the bike now. I have considered having them machined down, as I am aware others have done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
H20, Thanks for the correction. Last i checked i didn't see that but that’s good news they have that option. I didn’t see any information about if the rearsets have a brake switch adapter and if it is included in the package or not. Seems like it’s hit or miss on that item with the various manufacturers out there, not sure if that is of concern to you or not?

Your right about the stock rearsets, they’re fugly! I thought about machining mine down too, the only thing that concerns me is scraping the stock footpeg going hard into a corner. I think i have touched both of mine at least once and i remember hearing about others having the same problem. Come to think about it though, i guess it wouldn't matter as much going into a right hand corner but in a left turn i think there may be a better chance of having the kick stand impact before the foot peg does, i'll have to look on my bike and see though. Think i remember seeing a similar post in another forum. That is the only thing that makes me think that getting adjustable rearsets would be more conducive for my riding endeavors. Not sure if you are as concerned with lean angle as much as a comfortable riding position. As a newer rider, and already experiencing this problem i can only imagine that it will probably be a future riding limitation if i choose to corner more aggressively.

Do you have a quote from a local machinist yet or are you going to do the surgery yourself? If it's relatively inexpensive it may be a quick fix that you could experiment with to see if the stock ones will work for you or not. If they don't you will only be out a smaller amount than you would if you initially jump into a larger investment on new ones but if modded ones do work than you will save some $$$. The only other thing I see with modding the stock rearsets is that looking at some of the pictures it would appear that you will not have as much heal protection from your heal slipping inward towards the swing arm and chain. All the aftermarket ones I have seen offer this sore of provision although it does depend entirely on where you make the cut at. Food for thought……

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Reaper,

I have considered many of the things you brought up.

The stock rearsets are on the low side, and they do touch with more spirited riding. My main concern is the relationship to my legs and the tank. As the bike sits now, the fit is perfect. Any higher and I would be into the ridge of the tank. I am 6', and I cannot imagine my legs sitting any higher for prolonged periods. I figured it would be easier to find an adjustable set of pegs vs. having my lower legs shortened.

I have not looked into the machining any further than the concept. To be honest, I dont know where I would start as far as finding someone to do it. The lack of a heel guard is definitely a concern. I would assume that some sort of fabrication would need to be done. Since I dont have those skills, I would be at the mercy of finding someone who already did this and is willing to make me a set.

All said and done, its either stick with the ugly ones, powdercoat them, or spend the money on ones that are more adjustable.

I got a reply from Motowheels that the Corse rearsets do sit higher than stock in its lowest position. They dont have an actual measurement though.

As far as the rear brake, I will check into that with Motowheels tomorrow.

Right now I am looking at all options and eliminating the ones I know wont work for me. The Woodcrafts will be at least 2.5" higher, which wont work. The Sato's are a possibility. I got info on the set the Ducati Indy sells, and they are not going to work for me either. I was hoping the Gilles would work for the 696, but from what I see they only work with the 1100. Not sure why? Rizomas are beautiful, just too much $$$. Same with the MetalTechs. Am I missing any?

Jim

·
Registered
56 Posts
if you are doing it yourself - take some action shots of the install and finished project. The wings gotta go on mine as well. nice work misterburns - the bike looks great - love the single swing arm...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jim,

I hear you on the height problem set, legs on tank ridges would be very uncomfortable and the drag from having your legs exposed out past the bikes natural airstream would equally suck i imagine.

I think you have searched out every company that is currently producing rearsets for the 696. You and me seem to be in the same boat when it comes to fabrication. I would love to just hack into my bike but a lack of knowing how to weld with any sort of grace coupled with no equipment is holding me back from those endeavors. Hopefully you will hear something positive back from moto wheels or the Sato's will work out for you. I do know that the Sato's are going to require an additional adapter for the brake switch but it's only $25, there is also a return spring available for it but i don't have a clue and haven't came across any information in my research that indicates it's a required item, it's $8. Even with both of those item the Sato's would still be less than the Rizoma's but more than what your wanting to spend, think the total price would be around ~$690.00'ish according to the Sato website, there may be a better deal out there though. How much have you seen them listed for? The Metaltech's are less than the Sato's, or so i've seen. I think you probably have but it you haven't, check out motowheels.com for the metaltech's. They go for $600 if you are a member.....

I suppose one thing you could do if you want to pursue chopping your rearsets is contacting local bike shops and see if they have contracted out to a local business for similar work or will do the mod themselves. I know some shops will contract out for paint work, perhaps they do something similar for specialty machining. Worth a shot perhaps, that's my only idea other than going to the yellow pages. I'd be willing to bet that there is at least one recommended place in your neck of the woods though.

I'm interested to hear what you get back from moto wheels referencing if it requires a brake light switch or not. Pictures make it appear like it may not need one but if it's an additional item then it would definitely be nice to know up front. Hopefully they can give you a better answer than the rearsets sit higher than stock too. If i see anything further i'll be sure to pass it along.

·
Registered
79 Posts
H20:

DoWorkSon is on this board and he has the Corse rearsets on his M696. Do a search and you'll find pictures of his bike.

Send him a message if he doesn't post-up on here. He's a cool guy and very helpful.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
H20:

DoWorkSon is on this board and he has the Corse rearsets on his M696. Do a search and you'll find pictures of his bike.

Send him a message if he doesn't post-up on here. He's a cool guy and very helpful.
I will do that. I bought his slip ons off of him and I can vouch that he is a cool guy!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm interested to hear what you get back from moto wheels referencing if it requires a brake light switch or not. Pictures make it appear like it may not need one but if it's an additional item then it would definitely be nice to know up front. Hopefully they can give you a better answer than the rearsets sit higher than stock too. If i see anything further i'll be sure to pass it along.
Nick from Motowheels stated that the rear brake switch is not included and is needed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts