Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used these Corcoran boots for motorcycling? I want to buy a military boot that can be used for motorcycling and I really like this model in particular a lot. I'm just not sure about buying online before trying on. Does anyone know how they run? small/large?
http://www.armynavysuperstores.com/corcoran.htm

·
Banned
551 Posts
I gotta a pair and only wear them if I am runnin down the street 10 minutes.

Size wise - I thought they ran a bit big - but that is because I am used to having to go half size up to get the right width. I think I got a 10 1/2 and usually wear 11. They are pretty wide as standard - and a great friggin boot.

As far as using on a bike - the sole is a bit thick and grabby - has a big heal - and there is absolutely no protection on them. Plus you gotta tape up the laces - you don't want to be riding and have the laces go under the wheel. Real ugly.

So - Get a pair of these for stomping - and get a pair of riding boots for $100. If you go down - you will know why.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are they that comfortable? Dosen't sound like it... 10 minutes isn't very long!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I had a pair of their jungle boots, which I had modified for combat control try-outs. I had sharktooth soles put on, and the plastic heel and toe cups removed. They were like wearing basketball shoes-very comfortable. Very nice for that.

For riding, I don't know. I used to wear my issue combat boots all the time, but finally ponied up for some Oxtar Evo Ti...they are bombproof. If I take the bike out for a short spin without those boots on, I feel totally exposed. Someone wrecked (Zina, I think) and broke their ankle. That's when I decided real boots were necessary.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind of protection to motorcycle boots offer over something like a combat boot? I see that there's some ankle protection on some of them but otherwise they just seem to offer a thin sole and upper in the toe for a good feel on the controls.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Basically it's the right shoe for the job. Combat boots are made for walking and protect your feet from sharp sticks, rocks, etc NOT to protect you from whacking your ankle on the ground at 75 mph.

My boots (first pair of riding boots) have a hard plastic shell, padding inside, articulated toe and ankle, and ankle bone protection. From what I've seen, most riding boots have similar features.

Try this: put a combat boot on one foot, and a riding boot on the other. Then take a baseball bat and hit both ankles. See which one feels better.

Seriously, though, when I tried on a pair of riding boots, I immediately felt the protection. Go try a pair on and see for yourself.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will. I didn't know that there was that big of a difference. I've only had my Ducati for about 9 months. I got the Icon jacket, gloves, and helmet. Btw, I love my TiMax gloves. They're really nice.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
. Btw, I love my TiMax gloves. They're really nice.
Are those the ones with the titanium woven in?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Another critical feature of a motorcycle-specific boot is an oil/gas resistant sole.

Stop at a stoplight or tollbooth, put your foot down in the slop that collects there, and you'll understand the value of this feature!

That Teknic Defender at New Enough looks like a killer deal!
Personally though, I'm going to ratchet up the level of protection on my next boots. I was too timid about the technical look the last time around. I'm not as shy anymore ;D

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I ordered the Corcorans for walking around yesterday and ordered a pair of the Teknik Freeway boots this morning. They looked like a good first motorcycle boot to me, and for $50 that's not a bad deal I think. Here's the link to them. Good decision?
http://www.newenough.com/teknic_freeway_boots_page.htm

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Those look nice. Not as much protection as some riding boots, but more than you'll get from combat boots. Great deal, too.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yep, I've got them, but they take a back seat to the Chippewa Euro boots for riding. For walking, especially having grown up with combat boots, they're fine and give great protection. To someone without military time they might not feel quite as good. For motorcycling, jump boots have no ankle impact protection, but the lace-up, done right, will let you get home with a sprained or broken ankle. The toe is fat enough that dragging the boot is more likely than with riding boots (that's another downside).

-Don

G

·
Yep, me too. I rode in Corcoran jump boots from 1986 - 1992. They work OK on a bike, good toe protection, not so good shin & ankle protection. Also, your feet will get cold in cold weather and wet when it rains. The more classic combat boots, aka "leg" boots, are better for hiking. Purpose-built motorcycling boots are far better for riding in (for all the reasons listed above).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts