Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my left radiator fan seize up solid on me a couple weeks ago. I just installed a used, but working fan (I tested it!), from the exact same make, model & year as my bike ('07 S4RS). I also just got stuck in atrocious traffic, where my Temp soared to 247 F.
Neither fan EVER came on?! It got to the point where it wasn’t even reading Temp, but just flashing “HI”, so I shut her down and pushed her!
I was told the fans on the S4RS are controlled by the ECU, with the left one coming on first, then the right one if things should get hotter. I’ve got a full Termi system with the DP ECU.
OK, the 10 Amp fuse was blown! That's probably at least part of my problem. Does anyone have any experience with either the mechanal over-ride switch kit, or the Evoluzione lower Temp sensor for the fans, specific to a 2007 Monster, S4RS??
I've gotten contradictory stories on here as far as this? Will the switch feed a bad ground signal to the ECU, fouling things up? Is there a lower Temp sensor for my specific model? I also heard that the S4RS doesn't use a sensor, that it's all done through the ECU?? Shouldn't the ECU be receiving Stats from a sensor though??
Again, any Ducati mechanics out there??
Thanks Guys!

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
There are two temperature switches on your S4, the one in the front head manifold contols the fans and the one on the rear provides the engine temperature data for fueling. Both sensors are identical and are connected to the ECU

Fan control is according to the following schedule :

With the temperature increasing, the first fan is energized at 101°C / 213.8°F, the second fan in energized at 102°C / 215.6°F.
With the temperature falling, the second fan is de-energised at 101°C / 213.8°F and the first fan is de-energised at 100°C / 212°F

I would first check that the connector on the front head sensor is clean and tight and that there is no obvious damage to the wires.

Next step is the sensor, you could swop them but if the front sensor is bad it would then cause the mixture to be too rich.

The sensor is a RTD and can be tested, this involves a heated pan of water, a thermometer and a ohmeter.

If the sensor checks out then it's the ECU, but I've never heard of this happening.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chupa, You da Man! (¿Espero que usted no sea una Chupacabra?)
I'm fairly certain it was that blown 10 Amp fuse, causing the fans not to come on at all. That left fan was seized so solid, I couldn't turn it with my hand! That would certainly blow a fuse!
Right now, it's raining so hard here, I can't check it out!
But, I'm still trying to gain Info on both the manual over-ride, mechanical switch, and the Evoluzinoe lower temp sensor and whether they are aplicable for my bike, a 2007 S4RS??
Thanks again Man!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts