Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

coolest mod EVER! can it be done? how do it?

5K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  Michael_Gannon 
#1 ·
being mechanically retarded, I have no idea how much work this would take, or how to go about it... but I'm thinking it would be extremely cool to have a carbed 900 with a kick start, and ditch the electric start.

Anyone know how to go about this?

Can it be done?

Is my vision obscured by ignorance?

#2 ·
Uhhh....Have you ever kick started a big bore bike? IMHO, it ain't fun and therefore not that cool.

#6 ·
Here ya go, available through Aerostich:

Dummy Kickstart Lever (El hombre est macho.)
Looks real, kicks real....and provides a convincing demonstration of your experienced-biker street creds. The precision CNC made lever features a stiff spring arm return and the correct ratchet/return sound effect. Easily mounts directly to most engines using a temperature resistant, super strong adhesive. A hidden solenoid is included which may be connected to activate your machines electric starter for ultimate start-em-up realism. Nicely detailed folding rubber kick arm with boot gripping pattern. The Dummy Kickstart Lever is guaranteed to amuse them at any touring rally, especially if it

#10 ·
Ahhhwwww, Alex... Say it isn't so!!

#12 ·
I had an 850 Norton kick back and bend the steel shank in my work boots. Just push the button and ride.
If you have to kick something, kick the cat. Its way more fun. :D
GT
I had a 73 Commando 850, what year was yours?
Kick starting that bike was a b*tch and at 5'7" tall I had it fall on me a couple of times. It did feel great when you got lucky and it turned over first kick from dead cold!

#16 ·
I still remember trying to kick start an old 860GT, twarnt very much fun.
I had an 860 Gt, put over 75,000 miles on it. You had to stand on the right side of the bike. You kicked it over with the right foot at an angle, but ___ CAREFUL don't kick it all the way through unless you have an iron shin. I think I still have scabs on my shins and its been 10 years.

#20 ·
Adam: Don't be discouraged. ALL men who are ahead of (or behind?) their time get haranged by those who just don't see the vision (truly painful as the vision might be in this case).

Don't let them dissuade you from your dream!

Seriously, it's often the wilder thoughts that lead to other ideas that actually see the light of day. In business, we call it "brainstorming". I call it having fun.

Jim G

#21 ·
I had a 73 Commando 850, what year was yours?
Kick starting that bike was a b*tch and at 5'7" tall I had it fall on me a couple of times. It did feel great when you got lucky and it turned over first kick from dead cold!
I didn't own it thank God. I was working in a shop and the owner had a love for the old British bikes so we ended up catering to them. The bike that bent the shoe was an 850 motor in a custom frame. So I don't remember what year it was but it was real nice to look at.
What was really funny about working on the older stuff at that shop was that the parking lot out back wasn't real level. When ever I kicked something British to life I had to chain the front wheel to a pole. If I didn't these bikes would wonder about the lot on their own. I wish I had taped one of them. It was funny stuff.

#22 ·
GTJerry: I REMEMBER those British bikes really well from my college days.

One day, I got thrown out of a BSA / Triumph shop that I hung out at because I saw the chief mechanic carrying a claw hammer, and without thinking remarked "Gee, Freddy, I see you have the precision Triumph tools out for this one!"

He jumped the service counter and ran after me.

6 months later, that shop had the first 1969 Honda 750 4-cylinder on the showroom floor, and the Brit bikes disappeared shortly thereafter. It was realistically no contest, except for the Norton Commando, which hung on for another few years on sheer sex appeal.

Jim G

#23 ·
GTJerry: I REMEMBER those British bikes really well from my college days.

One day, I got thrown out of a BSA / Triumph shop that I hung out at because I saw the chief mechanic carrying a claw hammer, and without thinking remarked "Gee, Freddy, I see you have the precision Triumph tools out for this one!"

He jumped the service counter and ran after me.
I noticed working at that shop that some of regular customers had a pretty low tolerance when it came to poking fun at their beloved British marques. They refered to the oil leaks and backwards electrical systems as items gave the bikes character. Thankfully the owner was a real great guy with a sense of humor. He had a BSA 650 motor in a rigid chopper frame with springer front end that I loved to ride.
When I have room in the budget and the garage for something vinatge I would really like something British. They are simple and rare.
GT

#25 ·
I'm not gonna say it's a poor choice of mods 'cause in a way I think it'd be pretty cool, assuming you've got the a s s to turn it over(if not, I hope you live on top of a hill).

However, before you grab the vice-grips and hammer, have one of your buddies take a few whacks at your unprotected right shin with a hockey stick and then re-evaluate your motivation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.