Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
being mechanically retarded, I have no idea how much work this would take, or how to go about it... but I'm thinking it would be extremely cool to have a carbed 900 with a kick start, and ditch the electric start.

Anyone know how to go about this?

Can it be done?

Is my vision obscured by ignorance?

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Uhhh....Have you ever kick started a big bore bike? IMHO, it ain't fun and therefore not that cool.

S

·
0 Posts
if you REALLY wanna shed the weight of the starter, just ditch it and pop-start the bike. roll & drop clutch in 2nd gear -> "vroom!". good luck when it's cold out though.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Here ya go, available through Aerostich:

Dummy Kickstart Lever (El hombre est macho.)
Looks real, kicks real....and provides a convincing demonstration of your experienced-biker street creds. The precision CNC made lever features a stiff spring arm return and the correct ratchet/return sound effect. Easily mounts directly to most engines using a temperature resistant, super strong adhesive. A hidden solenoid is included which may be connected to activate your machines electric starter for ultimate start-em-up realism. Nicely detailed folding rubber kick arm with boot gripping pattern. The Dummy Kickstart Lever is guaranteed to amuse them at any touring rally, especially if it

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
I still remember trying to kick start an old 860GT, twarnt very much fun.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I had an 850 Norton kick back and bend the steel shank in my work boots. Just push the button and ride.
If you have to kick something, kick the cat. Its way more fun. :D
GT

·
Registered
426 Posts
There actually is German company selling a kick start conversion.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Ahhhwwww, Alex... Say it isn't so!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to do a hard-tail conversion, and change to points ignition, and a 6-volt generator... ;)

Jeff

·
Registered
796 Posts
I had an 850 Norton kick back and bend the steel shank in my work boots. Just push the button and ride.
If you have to kick something, kick the cat. Its way more fun. :D
GT
I had a 73 Commando 850, what year was yours?
Kick starting that bike was a b*tch and at 5'7" tall I had it fall on me a couple of times. It did feel great when you got lucky and it turned over first kick from dead cold!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hey, how about one of those crank handles that would stick out the side of the cycle? That'd be cool! :D

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I still remember trying to kick start an old 860GT, twarnt very much fun.
I had an 860 Gt, put over 75,000 miles on it. You had to stand on the right side of the bike. You kicked it over with the right foot at an angle, but ___ CAREFUL don't kick it all the way through unless you have an iron shin. I think I still have scabs on my shins and its been 10 years.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ahhhh... I've been broken down and burned alive... well I thought it was cool.

thanks guys

:'( :'( :'(

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i guess you're right though... i've never tried to kick over anything bigger than a 400 honda... and that was a bitch when it was cold.

oh well... thanks for puting me in my place :'(

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Yeah sorry mate but I have to agree with the others. I think I'd rather slam my hand in the door than kickstart the 900. Interesting thought though. Very traditional.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Adam: Don't be discouraged. ALL men who are ahead of (or behind?) their time get haranged by those who just don't see the vision (truly painful as the vision might be in this case).

Don't let them dissuade you from your dream!

Seriously, it's often the wilder thoughts that lead to other ideas that actually see the light of day. In business, we call it "brainstorming". I call it having fun.

Jim G

1 - 20 of 29 Posts