Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the plate on my s2r inside the wheel on the chain side. I removed the factory chain guard and made 2 aluminum brackets (from the home depot 1" * 36" *1/8" aluminum stock) to hold the factory metal bracket behind the plate inside the wheel. It may not be completely legal, but a cop helped me build it so I have that going for me, which is nice. I did not want to install the plate above the wheel as the bike looks so good with no tail and small turns, the plate really junked it up. I will post pics tomorrow hopefully.

·
Registered
306 Posts
looks good, buyt adds unsprung weight .
legqality. here in the state, NJ in particular...
it has to be a foot off the ground and not sideways or durty. upside down is not expressedly prohibited.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is mine in OH the law states behind the rear axle and it must be lit. I have no light and mine is vertical but I do not worry I havent had any trouble yet, you really cant see it if you are totally behind me and to the right, I would rather have it tucked in than totally visible

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
looks good, i would move it out more so its mroe visible from the rear, johnny law will love pulling you over for that one, and you might want to radius the plate mount so it curves in unison with the wheel radius.
do you have a template for this that you can share?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used 1/8" bar stock aluminum and held the factory plate bracket (the small metal rectangular sturdy one) in the wheel then cut the aluminum to fit with a small right angle at the plate itself. the license plate bolts go through the plate, braket and the aluminum. Since I used the factory metal reinforcement and it is stamped I was not able to bend it. I wanted to as my 1000rr was bent and looked great. sheet aluminum could easily be bent using a 1gallon paint can as a reference tempate then use the aluminum bar to hold it. I chose not to polish mine as I thought the brackets would blend in better dull. I have not yet to have a problem for bike stuff. My 1000rr had no rear turns only yellow leds flushed in the rear tail, awesome at night but in day no worky. I really only got pulled over for failing to use the front tire -- but officer i was trying to save the front tire from wearing early and causing more waste on mother earth

Attachments

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
hackd said:
Here is mine in OH the law states behind the rear axle and it must be lit. I have no light and mine is vertical but I do not worry I havent had any trouble yet, you really cant see it if you are totally behind me and to the right, I would rather have it tucked in than totally visible

Only a matter of time. I had mine under the seat for a year until I got a fix-it ticket. It was clearly visible until I was going up a hill and the cop at the bottom of the hill couldn't see the plate at all. I had it lit too with bolt lights.

I'll probably put it back under though when I move to FL! >:D

·
Registered
338 Posts
IZ said:
I'll probably put it back under though when I move to FL! >:D
They don't give a **** here, you can ducatape it to your tire if you want, I didn't even have one on my Monster for almost a year before I got pulled and was told to put it on or next time I'll get a fine..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts