Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my bike (07 S4Rs) in for service last fall and after my first ride of the season I noticed a small amount of coolant sitting on top of the vertical cylinder head right around the head bolts. I am wondering if the cooling system would have been disturbed when the valve adjustment was done? There is also a small union that enters the head right around the area where I found the coolant, which does not seem to be leaking but could be under pressure/heat. I am thinking maybe this was removed during the service?

Just want some info so I am not calling the dealer blind. Any held would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I was at the dealer on the weekend and they say that nothing would have been touched other than the valve cover when my service was performed. I started to inspect the problem a bit closer tonight. First I washed the area so that it was completly clean and dry and then I fired the bike letting it come up to temp, all the while closely watching the area in question. Thats when I saw it... a small drop of coolant growing from the top of the head nut. So what does this mean? Head gasket? I also noticed tiny bubbles coming up from the side plate that bolts to the head. I wonder if one of the o-rings has failed between the plate and the head could the coolant find its way up one of the head bolts? Has anybody had this issue? Love to figure this out!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was looking at the parts manual for my bike tonight and happend to notice that on the head studs they have o-rings that sandwich in between the head and the nut/washer. Perhaps there is suposed to be coolant in this area and the o-ring has failed? Anyone know? Anybody......Anybody?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts