Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there.
Does anyone know what's entailed in converting a single front disc brake to two on a monster? Obviously, one needs a right disc and caliper, but then do I just need to hook up a dual hose and I'm done?
Thanks

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hey there.
Does anyone know what's entailed in converting a single front disc brake to two on a monster? Obviously, one needs a right disc and caliper, but then do I just need to hook up a dual hose and I'm done?
Thanks
Hey,

I'll asume you have a M620 Dark with one rotor.

You can go a couple of different ways:

1. Ducati Monster S4/S4R Brembo 4 Pad Calipers

+Brembo 19RCS Radial Brake Master Cylinder
+ 320mm rotors

2. Nissin radial master cylinder kit Monster + 320mm rotors + Ducati Monster S4/S4R Brembo 4 Pad Calipers

3. Or, visit any of our sponsors and ask them, they're the pros.

Me, I've got XX9 masters, no rotors/pads yet, but, my upgraded pads on my standard calipers are real good.

If you want my dual caliper set up, PM me...

P.S. You might want to move this post to Accessories & Mods

·
Registered
12 Posts
as above really. Whatever you do though, don't try fitting a twin rotor setup without replacing the master cylinder as well. Although the 600/750/900 master cylinders looked similar, they were very different animals. Height of the reservoir is/was different as well as the pressure they applied. Using a 600 master cylinder with 2 rotors and calipers fitted made for a very soggy brake feel and gave very little feedback. At a stand you could virtually pull the lever back to the bars. While in motion,a little over half of that travel would be enough to lock the front wheel. It is also worth checking how you are going to route and secure the brake lines as Ducati did a couple of changes to the headlight mount bracket to deal with their approach to the double lines. Whether you fit 2 completely seperate lines or use a splitter is down to the individual.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great. Thanks. That's just the kind of info I was looking for.
To make matters more complicated, I got my bike used. Once I started thinking about doing this, I started looking around, and I definitely don't have the Duc reservoir. Instead, I have Japanese-looking black square metal housing as part of the lever. I think he swapped the Duc system out for a Japanese one. Works fine, but might make the switch more complicated.

·
Registered
635 Posts
To make matters more complicated, I got my bike used. Once I started thinking about doing this, I started looking around, and I definitely don't have the Duc reservoir. Instead, I have Japanese-looking black square metal housing as part of the lever. I think he swapped the Duc system out for a Japanese one. Works fine, but might make the switch more complicated.
As I told you earlier, CaCycleworks can quote you an awesome kit[either Nissin master or Brembo] or you can visit any sponsor or you can buy all parts used or pm me if you want my setup

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Hey there.
Thanks

buy my s4rs and you get the dual discs for free.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Does the non brake fork bottom support a new caliber. Some fork legs dont have the lil nubs needed to attached the caliber, so you may have to look around for a leg..

·
Registered
168 Posts
no. you have coffin master cylinders. that's what the 620 came with stock. if your clutch m/c is round and plastic, then that was the one he got after-market

·
Registered
12 Posts
These were the masters on my 94 monster (at the time I had changed the 600 to 900 master cylinder on the brake side, 900 type was around a quarter inch higher in the res and held more fluid as well as being a more competent unit). I am guessing it is these you refer to when you say jap type. As somebody else mentioned, it is commonplace to swap them out for something more interesting.

as they were

as they are

·
Registered
635 Posts
These were the masters on my 94 monster (at the time I had changed the 600 to 900 master cylinder on the brake side, 900 type was around a quarter inch higher in the res and held more fluid as well as being a more competent unit). I am guessing it is these you refer to when you say jap type. As somebody else mentioned, it is commonplace to swap them out for something more interesting.

as they were

as they are
AWESOME TANK diablo944!!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tank does make it easy to explain Desmo valves to those who dont understand them :D

·
Registered
635 Posts
Tank does make it easy to explain Desmo valves to those who dont understand them :D
if they don't understand Desmo, how can they understand Ducati? It's a way of life....
is your windscreen from a sr50?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yep. the fastest aprilia scoot screen in the country :D congrats on being the first one to recognise it for what it is by the way

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yep. the fastest aprilia scoot screen in the country :D congrats on being the first one to recognise it for what it is by the way
your top speed stats gave it away....by the way, nice progression on Monsters, from 600 to 900 to 944...insist, beautifull bike

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
If you are interested, I have a complete system off of a 2005 S2R800. I have checked the parts books and it is the same system used on the 2 disk M620. Part numbers are;

624.4.035.1A Front Brake Master Cylinder w/ lever and brake switch
618.4.063.1A Brake Hose assembly
610.4.075.1A Left Side Caliper 65mm spacing
610.4.076.1A Right Side Caliper 65mm spacing
492.4.082.1A Rotors (2) 300mm

+ all fasteners.

Everything is in excellent shape. I have the complete system listed for $250 + shipping from 32504. Make me an offer.

filterfool

·
Registered
5 Posts
Old thread but i'm planning to add second rotor on my M600.
As seen on this pic: http://s410.photobucket.com/user/szczekut/media/ducati3a.jpg.html?t=1231954287 there is original M600 brake master cylinder (same low height as clutch master cylinder). So that mean i dont need to upgrade to 620/800/900 brake master cylinder to get the system running? Taller master cylinder just adds more power so less finger power is needed?

·
Super Moderator
3,924 Posts
Are you actually having problems with brake fade? If you're not, then adding the disk will not be an upgrade, and will instead be a detriment to ride and handling due to the added rotating unsprung weight (the worst kinds of weight to add to a bike). You should only add the 2nd disk if your brakes are fading under the riding you are doing.

PhilB

·
Registered
5 Posts
Are you actually having problems with brake fade? If you're not, then adding the disk will not be an upgrade, and will instead be a detriment to ride and handling due to the added rotating unsprung weight (the worst kinds of weight to add to a bike). You should only add the 2nd disk if your brakes are fading under the riding you are doing.

PhilB
Well, i want more stopping power with less finger effort. And i need to replace the rotor anyway because its on minimum wear limit at the moment. So it's good time to buy two etc. Plus i like the more beefy front area looks better (with two rotors).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts