Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title pretty much explains the question. Might be interested in powdercoating my swingarm. I'm concerned about how well, or poorly as the case may be, the coating will hold up around the chain adjustment area. 8)

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
i've done mine.
theres been a couple scrapes due to testing different swingarms.
black fingernail polish touches it up nicely (aka the Norm Method (tm))

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
See the June 2005 Featured Monster for pics of mine.

Had it done now for abt. 2 years. No issues with the chain, small scratches are fixed with a Sharpie, or some touch-up paint.

All in all, it holds up really well!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool. I'm still not anywhere close to doing anything just yet. Hell, I'm net even healed enough to start the work. I'm just feeling things out, researching ideas as they present hemselves. [laugh]

I also have no shame in the fact that both your M750 and MH's M900 are part of my inspiration. 8)

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I also have no shame in the fact that both your M750 and MH's M900 are part of my inspiration.
Excellent! My sinister plan is working..... >:D

(j/k: Glad to hear you're starting to think about mods... Must mean you're on the mend!) [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
What's a typical price for the powdercoating? How about the labor for removing/installing the swing arm for those of us who are not that mechanically inclined?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Duck-Stew said:
Excellent! My sinister plan is working..... >:D

(j/k: Glad to hear you're starting to think about mods... Must mean you're on the mend!) [thumbsup]
Sinister plan, nothing. You had me hooked last year in Daytona! As time goes on with this project, I'll probably make a nuisance of myself asking questions about your carb and electrical set-up. I'm almost sure you'll grow very weary seeing that little "PM notification" in your e-mail. [laugh]

sert, I doubt its too difficult to pull the swingarm, you just have to supprt the rear of the bike. Cost-wise, it'll depend on how much you shop around and how big a hurry you're in. I doubt it will be a particularly difficult or expensive project. 8)

·
Registered
541 Posts
I rattle canned mine.....like the rest of my bike >:D

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Duck-Stew said:
See the June 2005 Featured Monster for pics of mine.

Had it done now for abt. 2 years. No issues with the chain, small scratches are fixed with a Sharpie, or some touch-up paint.

All in all, it holds up really well!
I really like the tail section you did on yours. What's the story on this bike?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Justin:
THAT bike?!? Ha. That's the paper mock-up of what I thought a Cafe'd Monster ought to look like. I took a '99 M900S paper flyer from my local dealership and used the photocopier at work with some white-out and a pen. Kept re-copying, and modding it until I had it 'done'.

That bike ended up becomming my Monster Challenge winner. As you can see from my photo-copier mock-up (I gots mad-skillz I tells ya! [laugh] ), my CR isn't quite done...as it lacks the wire-wheels.

My tail-section is a one-off (much like the entire bike is) that was hand built out of fiberglass and bondo. I've since built another tail-section onto a stock Monster seat pan and that came out much nicer then mine did. Mine...is a bit rough on the inside.

jswledhed:
I'm always happy to help out on someone's project. If there's anything you can't or don't want to handle...lemme know!

·
Banned
371 Posts
Here's a shot of my '05 DS with the standard swingarm powdercoated to (almost) match the frame. It's a really easy DIY project and the visual impact is well worth it. Low budget as well if you can split a rack at the powdercoat shop with 4-5 buddies.

Had it done about a year ago and it's holding up fine. Like the other guys said, sharpie or nail polish works great to touch up.

I also included a shot of the whole mess up on jack stands and suspended from the rafters in the garage while the swingarm was off to powdercoat. Just for grins.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts