Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming the bike has a full service history available, what sort of prohibitive expenses could there be in the forseeable future?

It would be my intention to use the bike as a commuter so it'll rack up 6-10,000 miles per year.

Would this be a wise buy for my first duc?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Re: Considering purchase of 99 M750 with 30,000 mi

this is just me, but why buy a bike with 30,000 miles on it when it's not that difficult to find the same bike with low mileage... or significantly lower than 30K? there are many other factors involved as well, but geez... i found my '00 900 last year with only 2500 miles on it. looked at a bunch of bikes before that, and was very tempted to pull the trigger on a few that had over 15K miles, but i'm glad i waited.

it may be cheaper up front, but down the road.....

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts

I bought my first Duc, a 93 900SS with 30k on it.
I then put another 15k on it with no problems (did replace a pick-up coil and rear shock that were worn out)

just sold it to a buddy (well, more of a 'nemesis' than 'buddy' actually)
Still goes like stink, but smokes a little on hard acceleration and deacceleration.
It is due for a piston kit with new rings, and probably valve guides (prob. $500-750). also the front forks could use rebuilt ($400ish)...never really noticed until i replaced the rear shock.

If it was taken care of, and the price is right, it could be a good bike, just keep in mind there might be some parts to replace soon.

I think my best moment with my SS was at Laguna Seca 2 years ago...I was pulling up to park, and Mark the pres. of Club Desmo was parking next to me. He looked at my bike and commented 'your bike is too clean...you should ride it more'. then looked at my odometer, and said 'oh, crap...i guess you do'.

N

·
0 Posts

I would check fork seals, steering head bearings and just a quick once over of the service records. I put 49,850 miles on my 96 M900 before a little old lady smashed into it and wrecked it (yes, I was on it at the time, but that's another story). Bottom line is, I bought it new, took care of it (did every service after the 12k myself-easy, really) and rode the hell out of it in SoCal. I spent very little on repairs (20k miles the front brake m/c went mushy and removed /disassembled/cleaned the starter). You will know by taking a 30 second walk around the bike and taking it for a spin. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts