Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently ride a 2000 Yamaha YZF600R, which is a terrific motorcycle. I'm seriously thinking of ditching it though, for something slower, less reliable, less efficient, and more expensive.

My reasons are many, and I guess i'm really here to ask if it's a bad choice.

I really like the styling, and not just of the motorcycle. I really like the vintage look of the Monster, and i'd much rather wear a vintage cafe-racer style jacket than bright colored leathers that make me look like a NASCAR guy.

Going fast is less of my thing than it used to be. Granted, i'm only 24, but I guess i've outgrown it. I'm a medical student, work in a trauma center, and I see all too often the consequences of an over-eager right hand. A slower bike is fine by me.

Also, even without a windscreen, i'm thinking a more upright riding position will be more comfortable.

What do you guys and gals think?

I've done a bunch of searches, and I still have a few questions about riding a Monster...

1) How are the ergos of the 695 for a tall rider? I'm 6'2" and the YZF is pretty accomodating, much more so than my roomate's CBR600RR. I definitely love riding, and I commute on my bike, so comfort is a plus.

2) How bad is the cornering clearance with low mount pipes? I love cornering, and love the way the low mount pipes look too! However, i'm scared about scraping very expensive exhaust pipes if I get a little too agressive.

3) How does the 695 do on long trips? One of my favorite things to do is to take a random ride someplace to visit people. I might go from Central NY to Boston, or Providence, or Baltimore, etc. The YZF600R is very uncomfortable after a couple of hours in the saddle. What about a Monster?

Many more as I think of them! Thank you in advance, and nice meeting you all!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ooh, a couple more!

I like the little passenger seat cover that the S2R and some other bikes have. Can it be retrofitted to the Monster?

·
Registered
175 Posts
take one for a test ride! (if possible)

i have a 98 M750 but they're pretty close to the same bike....

i'm 6'3" and commute daily about 100 miles on mine and on the longer parts my legs are a little sore from the bend...but my knees arent' in the greatest condition thanks to years of dirtbikes. other than that very comfy for me, the motocross bars dont destroy my wrists like some others and it's a pretty comfy upright riding position and still comfy when you're laying on the tank at speed.

i got high pipes now, but i never scraped my low mounts....but i know people that can, i just suck.

for the long trips, i wish my suspension was more adjustable. our freeways in so cal are shat. after a long time on the freeways my kidneys will start to hurt.

yea that solo cowl should fit, and people are slinging in the classifieds or on ebay

hopefully some other people will chime in

·
Registered
384 Posts
it is a very good choice.

The monster is great for commuting. Long rides are probably much more comfortable than your YZF but its no Beemer.

The seat cowl is universal. so you wont have a problem picking one up.
I would also recommend a test ride.

BE CAREFUL. once you ride one, you have to have one, you have to mod it, you have to ride it, A LOT

HAVE FUN!!

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
So you are getting a monster! Congratulations! It may seem premature to say that but everyone here knows it is inevitable now ;)

Once the seed is planted....

I'll think you'll be quite pleased. What I love about the Monster is that you can do a bit of everything on it. I'll take mine to the track one weekend and to the coast on the next. If I want to do one over the other I can mod accordingly. Since it seems you'd like to do some touring on it, there are probably some initial mods you'll want to consider and factor into your budget

- Aftermarket seat, like Sargent or Corbin. The stock seat is notoriously unforgiving after 150 miles or so...
- Aftermarkent windscreen, like a Zero Gravity double bubble
- Some bar risers that raise the handlebars a bit, allowing for a more upright posture

The stock pipes aren't really "very expensive pipes" unless perhaps you buy them from Ducati :)
It didnt bother me when I discovered the limits of their clearance, I was planning to get a new set anyway. went with high-mounts.

be sure to post pics when you get her!

·
Registered
130 Posts
My brother has a 2006 Yamaha YZF600 and I have a 2007 695. On a twisty road the 695 is not slower than the Yamaha. The Yamaha is gutless out of the corners. I also wouldn't say that the Ducati is less reliable and my 695 gets better gas mileage. The riding position is just about perfect on the Ducati, although I think it my be a bit cramped for you.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My first motorcycle was a 1998 YZF600R, which I liked a lot. But doesn't even compare to the Monster. I now have a 2001 M900 Dark (which I hear is the fastest color, BTW ;D). The Monster is the most fun I have ever had on two wheels. Go for it, you won't regret it.

factorplayer said:
be sure to post pics when you get her!
+1 [thumbsup]

·
Registered
320 Posts
My first bike was a 93' FZR600 and was great, but it sure ain't no Ducati. Now I have 620 dark, yes, it is the fastest. Very forgiving, smiles galore, and not that expensive.

I have found that on longer rides I long for a better seat, so keep that in mind when shopping. +1 on test ride, but bring your check book, you will need it right then and there [thumbsup]

Erik

·
Registered
211 Posts
One thing I like about my buddy's 1997 YZF600 is the wind protection. Way better than my fairing-less Monster. Still, I love my Monster and would never trade it for his YZF. Do it already!

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
do it.

doooo iiiiit.

you've already registered. resistance is futile. you will be assimilated.

post pics and bring the donuts :angel:

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
> something slower: on the top end, yes, but usefully, except on the track, maybe, no.

> less reliable: no.

> less efficient: define efficient?

> more expensive: maintenance is more, accessorizing is LOTS more, and almost unavoidable.

> windscreen: easy add-on, if you want, in several styles, and at least one among us has full-faired a Monster for racing.

1) How are the ergos of the 695 for a tall rider? I'm 6'4" (35" inseam) and I've got an M1000S, but the 695 fits pretty well when I've tried them on. You might want to drop the bars a bit.

2) I'm scared about scraping very expensive exhaust pipes if I get a little too aggressive: there are smaller-diameter low-mounts available.

3) How does the 695 do on long trips? I added a Sargeat seat (others prefer the Corbin or DP gel) and can ride all day.

4) as noted, the cowl is just a standard bolt-on.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
actionattackgoose said:
1) How are the ergos of the 695 for a tall rider? I'm 6'2" and the YZF is pretty accomodating, much more so than my roomate's CBR600RR. I definitely love riding, and I commute on my bike, so comfort is a plus.

2) How bad is the cornering clearance with low mount pipes? I love cornering, and love the way the low mount pipes look too! However, i'm scared about scraping very expensive exhaust pipes if I get a little too agressive.

3) How does the 695 do on long trips? One of my favorite things to do is to take a random ride someplace to visit people. I might go from Central NY to Boston, or Providence, or Baltimore, etc. The YZF600R is very uncomfortable after a couple of hours in the saddle. What about a Monster?

Many more as I think of them! Thank you in advance, and nice meeting you all!
1. You might look at the 800 bikes. The saddles are a bit higher and might be more copy for a taller rider. Going from a I4 600 to a Twin 800 will probably be of similar peak power. But you'll get more use of the powerband on the twin.

2. Not sure... had highmounts on my 620. So I hit pegs or toes before pipes. But the good thing is, you can get replacement stock pipes for as low as $50 in the parts section here or Ebay. A steal!

3. I've knocked out nearly 300 mi in a day on my 620 and a number of 200+ mile trips w/o much issue, and that was with a stock seat and some clip-ons that were about level with the top triple. Sure I was getting weary towards the end - but they were twisty trips, not just a highways cruise.

For wind protection, you can add the fairing, and even add a taller windscreen to that fairing. There's also some larger faring that can be used. If you use that 'stock' style 'poorducrider' makes a couple inexpensive braces that help
W/ stock bars or high clip-ons and perhaps a Sgt seat. It could be pretty nice.

4. Passenger seat cover - yeah. You jsut need to buy one and the thumb screws to attach it and it'll go right on. Again, can be had from ebay.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I second checking out the 800s.

I just traded in my 2002 YZF600R for an 07 S2R 800, and I do not regret the decision in the LEAST. The Yamaha was a good bike for what it was, but there the 800 is better is just about every way. I say "just about" because, at least so far, it seems that my gas mileage was noticably better on the YZF, and my insurance went up a fair amount as well. Aside from those two issues, the Duc gets a thumbs up in every way.

·
Registered
141 Posts
you definitely need to test ride.
try both the 695 & the 800.

the reliability issue is a thing of the past.
the stock seat is actually comfortable, I have put in some good long rides...(i live in Texas, where the roads are endless) and I have no complaints about the seat.
as far as speed, the monster will go as fast as you need it to go.....mine purrs at 100 and at 115 (on the speedometer) it feels like I still have plenty of throttle left. (disclaimer)of course that was on a closed course with a professional driver.
I bought the 696 when they came out and I love it. I do wish now that I would have looked at the 800 a little harder, but since I didn't , I have some extra cash for my newfound mod addiction.

welcome to the dark side.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had an '01 CBR600 so I kinda know where you're coming from. After much speed and some amateur (legitimate) racing I too am less concerned about speed. I think you'll enjoy a monster, for many reasons. Mine handles very well, carves corners just as well if not better (although some don't believe me) than my CBR did, is more comfortable than I thought it would be,(different ergos than the typical sportbike) and is just a very "fun" bike to commute with. Btw..Ducati sells the windscreen/seat cowl kit for the 695. Enjoy!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I also came from an 01 CBR600 which i sold for my M800. I don't regret it all. I was a bit worried about having less power but it's not an issue. I use my Monster for daily commuting and i'm actually faster on it than the CBR. The Monster has a much more useable powerband making it faster off-the-line and easier to pull out of corners. I also find it's much easier to tip into corners and to toss around. The CBR doesn't really move until ~10k rpm which i rarely had a chance to hit and by the time i wound out a couple gears, i was going far too fast for the streets. It always felt like i was idling around on the bike which got boring....you're cruising around at 4k-6k on the streets but the bike really wanted to be screaming around at 10k. Besides that, i got sick of looking like everyone else on japanese race-reps in power ranger outfits. And you can't deny the sound of the Duc with Termi pipes. Once i heard it, it was all over. Hope that makes some sense.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
take it for a test ride, and then take an S2R for a test ride, ither the 800 or the 1000, if i were you id go for the S

1 - 17 of 17 Posts