Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The price is appropriate for the add-ons

Votes: 2 25.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this sort of post is common and aggravating, but I would really like feedback from owners of this motorcycle.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2006 S2R1000. The dealership wants $6,700 which is higher than the book value. However, it has add-ons galore. After market higher risers, full Zard exhaust, open clutch cover, CF fly-screen, CF fenders, sliders, steering stabilizer (on the left hand side attached to the frame?!), and a host of others.

I'm excited about this bike. Since I was an undergrad I've dreamed of owning a Duc, albeit I wanted a 996 or 998. However, having owned an SV650N, I've come to love the naked bikes. Now that I'm finally finished with school I've been looking to start riding again and can't believe that a Duc is actually obtainable. The problem is that I'm 6'4" and 250 lbs. All of my friends ride cruisers and I would like to ride with them for extended periods (1/2 day to 2 days). I just can't bring myself to buy a cruiser, despite my physical proportions. They just bore me. Still, the SV650 got miserable for me after about an hour because of the clip-ons I had on it. With the higher risers the S2R seemed much more comfortable. I know I can get a tail bag and tank bag for it, although side bags might be tough with the placement of the exhaust.

I want to know, are there any big guys or gals who aren't miserable on this thing after four hours? Also, any thoughts on the price? The dealership originally wanted $8K for it and when I called the sales guy with the book price he took it down to $6,700. Is this unreasonable for this bike? I could get a new 696 for $8K, but it's much smaller.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
I have a 03 Monster 800. 6'-3" and 200lbs. I just fit this bike. Knee space is a little tight. I have been on a couple long trips with this bike, not fun but doable. I think you will find the suspension may need some upgrading with your weight. I used to be 220+/- and put heavier springs on both front and rear suspension. I love this Monster and when I get something new I will keep it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
At 250 you'll need new springs for the front and rear suspension, maybe additional work on the shocks too. Be prepared to send your fork / rear shock out for rebuilding to your specs.

Long trips on an S2R 1000 are a bit cramped for a taller person (trust me I know). Get good luggage #1. #2 drop the foot pegs an inch or so and consider raising the bars. #3, consider an after-market seat. I have a Sargent and I'm happy so far. Also, unless you get a larger tank (ETI makes 5gal race tanks) you'll be stopping every 125 - 135 miles or so if you stick to the highway.

Don't even consider a 696. Unless you've got really short legs or something. It's much more cramped than an 1100. Head to the dealership and take a test ride or at least sit on the bikes, you'll know pretty quickly if you'll fit.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
fit the bike

I'm 6'2 and my S4RS fits me perfectly. 200 lbs doesn't faze it's stock Ohlins suspension. You might check out a different seat if you plan longer trips, as the support and angle of the stocker is the only complaint I have regarding comfort. The standard bars are fine, and I wouldn't want anything taller for highway use. My two bits; look for an unmodified low-mileage bike at a better price. Half the fun is putting exactly the extras you want on to make it your own idea of what a Monster should be.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, I've been looking around and I think this is the one. I've been on the phone with the sales guy all day and I just don't think there's anything better for me other than the new 1100's and, as much as I hate to admit it, they're just out of my price range for the next year or two. The bank wants $1,300 down so I'm deciding if I want to get into my savings right now or wait two months. I'll keep everyone updated on what happens but I really appreciate the input.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chad, do you think I can get away with just a heavier oil and adjustments or that new springs will be in order? Also, what does that run and is it something I can do myself? I hate to be cheap but I'm taking the bar in July so I'm not sitting on a gold mine these days. I've read that springs are fairly easy with a stick and a wedge, but that was on the SV's (which were notoriously undersprung, especially for guys my size).

·
Registered
24 Posts
For what your expected riding is going to be (2 day cruises) - have you had a look at the older Multistradas. I'm pretty sure you can get a good one in your price range.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
I actually siphoned out some oil in my front forks & installed new springs myself. $150 or so, it was a while ago. Hyperpro I believe. Rear I took off myself and just took it to the shop with a new ohlins spring and they installed it. I think this was about $150 also. The setup is ok but I got the mod bug again and just ordered Matris fork cartridge kit, new ohlins fully adjustable shock and Matris M3 steering damper... :). Pricey but I kept me from getting a new 848 Dark this summer ha ha.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Could you provide a link or webiste for ETI, pls?
http://www.eti-fuelcel.com/

http://www.eti-fuelcel.com/DUCATIMONSTER.HTML
http://www.eti-fuelcel.com/DUCATIMONSTERINJ.HTML
http://www.eti-fuelcel.com/DUCATIMONSTERS2R.HTML

Pricey but an extra 1.3 gallons sounds really nice. Seem like the product is more geared towards losing weight and improving handling, but I would buy one just for the increased capacity. If I ever win the lottery I'll buy a TPO Beast-R induction system and have these guys design a custom tank that takes up all the space formerly occupied by the airbox (maybe that would give you a 6-7 gal tank and 300-350 mile range!).

·
Registered
635 Posts
http://www.eti-fuelcel.com/

http://www.eti-fuelcel.com/DUCATIMONSTER.HTML
http://www.eti-fuelcel.com/DUCATIMONSTERINJ.HTML
http://www.eti-fuelcel.com/DUCATIMONSTERS2R.HTML

Pricey but an extra 1.3 gallons sounds really nice. Seem like the product is more geared towards losing weight and improving handling, but I would buy one just for the increased capacity. If I ever win the lottery I'll buy a TPO Beast-R induction system and have these guys design a custom tank that takes up all the space formerly occupied by the airbox (maybe that would give you a 6-7 gal tank and 300-350 mile range!).
Thanks man, yeap, pricey it is; but, as you mention, extra fuel is good. This year is brake upgrade year for me; maybe I can squeeze the TPO Beast-R induction system and the breather eliminator they have.

Once again, thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I looked at the Multistrada and they had a nice one at the dealership with some really nice hard cases. While it would likely be more practical for longer cruises with my buddies, it just didn't get me going like the Monsters (or that beautiful Streetfighter S). I think that this is going to be the bike for me. It didn't seem miserable sitting on it and I like the suggestion of moving the gear down. The risers had me sitting up straight so I won't look like a bear humping a blueberry like I did on the SV.

re: those tanks, Jeebus Cripes that's expensive.

I appreciate the advice and I'm really glad that there's a good community of owners for this brand. I've had worries about buying a relatively uncommon bike and the ability to get technical info.

I'm going to take the next day or two to decide whether I need to take this money out of savings our wait two months until I find out what part of the state I'll be in. That said, this is it. It's a dream bike and I'm thrilled that it's actually obtainable, so if it isn't this one it will be a similar one (or an S4R) in the near future.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Cost...

I am a smaller fella 160 pounds 5 foot 6 inches.

I can't help you on the fit, but I have been cunducting research as to the exact cost of owning a Ducati Monster S4r, since I purchased mine in 2006. I have tracked all the expenses, including the purchase price of the bike. I have kept it bone stock and followed the factory service requirements to the letter.

I can tell you if you have all service performed by a dealer, the maint. will cost you 24.8 cents per mile. This includes tires, and battery.

I am not sure how this compares to a Japanese bike, but I can tell you it is expensive, and in my opinion, worth it.

I rode Japanese bikes for the first 30 years of riding, and I would rather be on the Ducati with or without the added expense. It's not just the "cool" factor, the bikes are designed from the rider out, instead of the Japanese "engine first" then "looks" then oh yeah....the rider.

All I am saying is be prepared for a more expensive motorcycle, the S2r is less expensive to maintain than my bike (S4R) I have ridden both, and really until you get into the higher rev range, there is not a whole bunch of power difference. I would have purchased the S2R for the cheaper maint. had I done a little more homework.

The new (2010) bikes are made to tighter tolerances, and a designed for easier access to the valve train, thereby cutting Maint cost, and extending maint intervals. You may want to consider that.

Approximately 3500 dollars in 4 years spent on Maint, would mean in four years you have spent 10K total on the bike you paid 65oo for at purchase. With a little math you may find that after say 5 years, the new bike ends up costing the same as the used bike based on the lower cost, and extended service intervals.

Good luck to ya mate.

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
The 2V engines are cheaper to maintain. I also track my expenses, since my Monster is my daily transport, including for my business. I total out at about 15 cents a mile, all up -- gas, oil, tires, maintenance, insurance, everything -- which is pretty reasonable (especially since the tax writeoff is independent of vehicle and I get to deduct the same 51.5 cents a mile as the realtor with her Mercedes or the plumber with his Ford F250).

And the maintenance can get even cheaper than that if you do it yourself. Everything is just the same as any other bike except the valve check and adjustment, and that's really not very hard. There are videos available that can teach you how, and you'd have to invest a few hundred bucks on a shim kit, but that pays for itself with one valve adjustment, and then they're pretty much free forever.

PhilB

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think you're going to love an S2R1000. I have an '08 and literally could not be happier. Be sure to post some pictures (unless you have and I'm just late)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts