Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 14' Monster 1200s also feels no different to other bikes, but I do remember riding a demo 19' model without noticing a heavier clutch pull, but I must admit I didn't really pay attention to it. Before you write it off, try riding it first. It may normalize for you and the up/down quickshifter will help significantly. Also, with a new bike make sure to select N with the wheel moving a little as finding neutral can be annoying.

·
Registered
304 Posts
with a new bike make sure to select N with the wheel moving a little as finding neutral can be annoying.
Hah, yes. Find neutral before you get stopped at that light. I notice it is easier to find with engine off.
Anyway, use a firm boot and shift like you mean it. There is a tendency to get a false neutral sometimes if you don't.
Which for me mostly went away after about 10,000 miles. Maybe my foot got trained.
Ride safe.

·
Registered
49 Posts
compared to modern slip assist clutches with light lever pulls, it's stiff, but no stiffer then most bikes i've ridden in the past. would only notice it with a lot of stop on go riding (ie. in traffic), but not enough to deter me one bit from having this bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2016 1200S...ive never thought the clutch was heavy at all. It had 23000klms on it when I bought it so whether they loosen up with time im not sure. I love the bike its the best thing I've owned.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
My feeling is that if it bothers you while sitting on the bike at the dealer, it will only get worse once you're out on a road in traffic or in a tight parking lot. My guess is that this is not the bike for you based on your feedback. At minimum I would make sure that you get a proper test ride in before you make the purchase. Don't buy it thinking it will get better.

With that said, I feel that Ducati actually did a great job with the clutch and throttle feel of the bike. The fueling and clutch engagement on it is much smoother than it was on my 2016 R1. The clutch pull is middle of the road based on my personal experience - I've had bikes with lighter pull, and also with stiffer pull, but that's very relative to what you're coming off of.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts