Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New member here. I am considering trading my MV Agusta Brutale 800 Dragster RR for a 2020 Monster 1200 S. I am here in Houston, TX USA. Key reason: I wish to have a dealer again, a meaningful warranty, parts and service, etc. MV closed shop here 2 years ago.

A classic question for the Monster 1200 S owners: would you buy the bike again? Happy? Or not? All comments welcome. Much thanks in advance!

I have been riding since 1967, and am a 66 year old, but still like fast Italian bikes. I also like compact bikes with torque, and naked machines and also reliability. The Monster 1200 S seems to check all my boxes. Before I get really serious with test rides, I wish to query the owners.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would buy the Monster 1200s again most definitely. The torque this 1198 11⁰ is insane. I have full Termi system, MWR filter and a Rapid Bike Evo. In 4 gear it will start lifting the front wheel.
Handles like its on rails. Comfortable for a 3 or 4 hour ride.
Has that Italian sex appeal and Ducati is the best sounding bike on the planet.
Saying that. I also love the Brutale Dragstar RR. But the torque of the 1198 kills the MV

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would buy the Monster 1200s again most definitely.

Saying that. I also love the Brutale Dragstar RR. But the torque of the 1198 kills the MV
Matt,

Thank you very much for your expert, owner comments! I am glad to find some enthusiasm for the Monster 1200S.
Your comment on comfort is especially helpful, as I am 66 years old.

Love my Dragster RR, but with no dealer parts/service/expertise in the Houston, TX USA area: keeping it running is really difficult and or expensive. We have two good Ducati dealers in town.

May I ask: how has initial reliability of your Monster been? Any major problems?

ride safe!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought the 2015 monster second-hand. Service history was perfect and there had been no warranty repairs. In 5 years the bike has done 8000km. I think that's 5000 miles. It had not been ridden for over 12 months when I bought it. As a result when I took possession and started riding, the gear in the fuel pump perished causing the bike to break down. Other then that the bike runs like a Swiss watch.

·
Registered
304 Posts
2014 Monster 1200 here. Bought in 2017 with ~ 2400 miles, now about to deliver to dealer for 18000 mile service.
Would I buy again?
Hell yes! :D

I am not Italian, but I like Italian food.
Also one grandmother in her later years spent a year as a cook for a missionary org, in Italy.
I guess there are a lot of heathens in Italy.
Catholic mafia notwithstanding. :p

·
Registered
18 Posts
A few months ago I purchased a used 2014 1200s. My final decision came between a 2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800RR and the 1200s for the same price. I was fortunate enough to ride them back to back and my personal conclusion was the performance was equally matched using very spirited riding. In my opinion, the MV is the striking beauty queen, the monster is the slow burn which grows on you. The build quality ie: paint etc. were equally matched. The riding to me was the Monster does the slower/ street riding better with a serious punch. The MV's character feels more like a race bike and just wants you to go hard all the time. The low throttle exhaust growl on the Monster is more alluring, not to dismiss the high throttle scream from the MV is also intoxicating. From a service/ reliability perspective, I read some disturbing reviews on the MV's clutch but the engine seems robust. The Ducati does come with increased parts and service costs, but my 20+ years experience with the brand both from race track riding and street riding, I've found the brand really reliable. Would I buy again? No, I'd save up some extra dollars and get a 2017+ Monster 1200s with up-down quickshifter instead :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would I buy again? No, I'd save up some extra dollars and get a 2017+ Monster 1200s with up-down quickshifter instead :)
Corse748,

Thank you so much! You provided the information I am seeking. I have yet to ride the Monster 1200s, and if I buy, it will be a new one with the up/down QS. My Dragster RR has the QS, and I do love the option. I agree the looks of my MV is simply stunning, and yet it is a screamer. Three big pluses to the Ducati: 1) two good Houston, TX dealers, 2) the modern screen and 3) cornering ABS. The screen on my MV is functional, but controls clumsy to set trip ODO, and also the tiny numbers.

Yesterday I fixed a small fault in my MV (exhaust servo error), so if I have a Ducati dealer appraise my bike for trade, there will be no concern. Someday soon I will ride my MV in and test a new Monster 1200 S back to back, and make a decision. I also note the Monster is a good fit for shorter riders like myself. Key tests: clutch pull (is the Monster reasonable), and overall fit/geometry of the bike (not too much weight on hands/wrists).

How is the gas mileage on the Monster? My MV has a 120 mile range, and averages about 30-35 miles/gallon.

Oh, does the Monster have a metal tank, or is it plastic?

Thank you forum members, this is an excellent way to support your brand!

Lucydad,
Sugar Land, TX USA
MV_Aug12__18.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Corse748,

Thank you so much! You provided the information I am seeking. I have yet to ride the Monster 1200s, and if I buy, it will be a new one with the up/down QS. My Dragster RR has the QS, and I do love the option. I agree the looks of my MV is simply stunning, and yet it is a screamer. Three big pluses to the Ducati: 1) two good Houston, TX dealers, 2) the modern screen and 3) cornering ABS. The screen on my MV is functional, but controls clumsy to set trip ODO, and also the tiny numbers.

Yesterday I fixed a small fault in my MV (exhaust servo error), so if I have a Ducati dealer appraise my bike for trade, there will be no concern. Someday soon I will ride my MV in and test a new Monster 1200 S back to back, and make a decision. I also note the Monster is a good fit for shorter riders like myself. Key tests: clutch pull (is the Monster reasonable), and overall fit/geometry of the bike (not too much weight on hands/wrists).

How is the gas mileage on the Monster? My MV has a 120 mile range, and averages about 30-35 miles/gallon.

Lucydad,
Sugar Land, TX USA View attachment 225366
I loooove that MV.
The monster has a steel tank.
A mix of spirited riding and cruising I will get around 240km before my fuel light comes on.
I think that is around 149 miles.

Up the highway I average 5 litres per 100 kilometres.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Corse748,

Lucydad,
Sugar Land, TX USA View attachment 225366

·
Registered
304 Posts
My low fuel light comes on after about 120 miles. But if I gas up soon it only takes 2.5 gallons or so. So, I think it is pessimistic. Seat height is nice and low for my 29" inseam.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My low fuel light comes on after about 120 miles. But if I gas up soon it only takes 2.5 gallons or so. So, I think it is pessimistic. Seat height is nice and low for my 29" inseam.
I have similar inseam, low seat height is critical. Dragster fuel light is also on at 120 miles, but can be extended depending on how much cruising is involved.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am really happy for you, though slightly jealous choosing the 2020 version. You won’t be disappointed 😊 Should you get it, just take your time and warm into the riding modes. I find “Urban” nice in the city traffic with “Touring” perfect on highways and twisty roads. I almost never use “Sport” mode unless I find somewhere I feel I can really get away with it (traffic control/ penalties in Australia is savage). I’ve visited Houston and one thing you’ll appreciate is the single gear overtaking acceleration on the highways. The Torque is epic. To achieve the same acceleration with the MV you’ll be downshifting.

I'm short like you 5'7" and weigh 70 kilograms so the seat height will not be a problem. The motivating reason for my purchase, I've developed a shoulder injury and can only deal with an upright motorcycle for riding. Any distance more than 20 miles on a superbike style motorcycle becomes unbearable. I have a pristine condition Ducati 848 which I was using, but If I can overcome this injury in my shoulder, that will become my track bike. I can attest to the comfort of the Monster so weight on your wrists will not prove an issue. You will notice the Monster being slightly heavier, but it won't annoy you living with it. The clutch pull is also fine. I think the hydraulic clutch helps that. I have read people complaining about false neutrals and difficulties finding neutral on new bikes. I also read this improves with time. I have 14,000km on mine now so I don't have those issues. When you test ride try to get one with at least 1000 miles on it if possible.

One downside for the Monster living in Texas (depending where in TX) may be the heat from the engine/ exhaust. I remember the humidity in Houston was really high and that’s the only thing I can think may annoy you. The Monster also lends itself nicely to Mods. I posted some of the mods and pics earlier in this forum in below link.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am really happy for you, though slightly jealous choosing the 2020 version. You won’t be disappointed 😊 Should you get it, just take your time and warm into the riding modes.

Corse748,

Again your comments are extremely helpful. Wow on Monster torque, and being a big CC twin that makes sense. The MV triple is powerful, but with less torque. Yes, I do downshift to make very fast passes. Mode settings on the Monster sound interesting. The issue here is rain riding, and I would think Touring helpful to smooth out the acceleration. On the MV I ride mostly in Normal mode, but use Rain when it gets slick, and man do our roads get greasy here. Of course mature throttle/clutch/braking help in wet conditions, and just slowing down.

Yes on Houston heat, the MV also throws a lot of heat. My solutions: ride early in the day, and also I have a pair of KLIM mesh/armor riding pants that help a lot. During cooler seasons, the heat can be a blessing as I ride year-round.

Good to hear on the hydraulic clutch. If anything, I hope the Ducati is lighter than the MV as the Dragster pull is right at my limit. At stops I have to flip to Neutral. The QS reduces a lot of clutching though. The MV normally is very good at finding neutral and shifting. The Monster sounds like it takes some breaking in, well that is normal and I have bought several new bikes and expect a 600-1000 mile smoothing out process, including getting used to the bike.

Cheers mate, you are extremely kind!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Test ride delayed, my Moto Guzzi V7 Special decided to blow its instrument cluster. So, I am fixing that first ($750 part) before trying the Ducati 1200S. One thing at a time. Fall cool weather makes all riding better around the Gulf Coast of TX. Its always something. Italian electronics are dicey things, and the Gremlins can appear for no reasonable cause...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Test ride delayed, my Moto Guzzi V7 Special decided to blow its instrument cluster. So, I am fixing that first ($750 part) before trying the Ducati 1200S. One thing at a time. Fall cool weather makes all riding better around the Gulf Coast of TX. Its always something. Italian electronics are dicey things, and the Gremlins can appear for no reasonable cause...
German and Japanese electronics in the Ducati now. It's 1 reason why they have become so reliable

·
Registered
49 Posts
I find “Urban” nice in the city traffic with “Touring” perfect on highways and twisty roads. I almost never use “Sport” mode unless I find somewhere I feel I can really get away with it (traffic control/ penalties in Australia is savage).
I put mine in sport mode leaving the dealer and have never changed it since haha!

·
Registered
49 Posts
A classic question for the Monster 1200 S owners: would you buy the bike again? Happy? Or not? All comments welcome. Much thanks in advance!
I only have 400 mi on the bike and was wondering about reliability as well, I love the bike so far and want it to be a long term bike in the stable. First Ducati for me, I've heard of horror stories of past Ducatis but not much with this bike specifically.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, so an update on the new Monster 1200S. Yesterday I sat on the bike. I like the geometry, weight and overall feel. I did not test ride as we had a front move through Houston, and it got wet and slick streets and poor visibility.

BUT, the clutch pull strength required for the Monster is extremely high. On a "Popeye Scale", the new Monster is an 8-9. I have small hands, but strong enough for my MV Agusta B3 also with a hydraulic clutch.

I also checked clutch pull on several other new Monsters on the floor: all identical, all very stiff.

In my experience, the combination of a very high torque engine, and very stiff clutch is not desirable. Control, for me, is almost impossible. I tested an older Moto Guzzi big block 1100 with cable clutch one time: I almost dumped the bike from lack of clutch control and very high torque. So, I am wary.

So, may I ask, before I write off the Monster: do owners have comments? Is the dealer possibly setting up these bikes wrong? Do these clutches break in, or lighten up?

All help appreciated. I want to like the Monster, but wow clutch pull is a major issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
BUT, the clutch pull strength required for the Monster is extremely high. On a "Popeye Scale", the new Monster is an 8-9. I have small hands, but strong enough for my MV Agusta B3 also with a hydraulic clutch.
I felt the same way about the clutch pull but decided to buy any way. I've gotten used to it.
My biggest complaint now is that I think 1st gear ratio is too high. I would like to ask if anyone has changed the sprockets on a 1200s to achieve a lower ratio?

·
Registered
304 Posts
BUT, the clutch pull strength required for the Monster is extremely high. On a "Popeye Scale", the new Monster is an 8-9.
I can't say about a new model, but my '14 Monster 1200 clutch is on par with most of the other bikes I've had over the years.
Not that I can test them side by side, but...........

I admit I try to avoid sitting at a stoplight holding the clutch in. That gets tiring but is manageable, imho.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts