Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my confusion bar end mirrors from Motostrano yesterday. I had some questions and Joe answered them via email quickly and expertly, can't wait to get them and put them on!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
I got some from Joe about a month ago; really like them but the mirror itself is not convex. This makes it a bit hard to get a broad view of what's behind. Other then that they are awesome!

Scooby ;D

·
Registered
447 Posts
They look COOL! Please post pics when you get them on and let us know how difficult they are to mount.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Joe tells me they mount directly to my stock bar end weights, I hope he's right . We shall see!!

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
I mounted mine on the last 1/4 inch of the bars; they clamp on very securely and with my bar end weights added, even better.

I did get a 1 1/2" round stick-on convex mirror to put on the left side; it helps, but is for the most part, too convex; cars directly behind look like ants! I might find a less convex addition, as the flat Rizoma mirrors are limiting on a wider view...
Scooby ;D

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
scooby, when you mounted the mirrors on the last 1/4 in of the bar , did you move the grips and controls??
My mirrors haven't come yet :(

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
DuCnHaR,

No I did'nt. At first I was going to, but after taking the controls all off and realizing the nipples that keep them from moving would make it more of a job then I thought - I bagged out and punted. What I did was just put them on literally the last 1/4 inch of exposed handled bar; as I mentioned, only part of the mirror is clamped on - but it is secure enough to keep it on. It is not ideal, but works fine. Since there is no pressure on the mirror (even at speed...) it holds. I am a little leery when I go to fine tune the adjustment of the mirror though, but again, no problems so far- 2 months later!

Scooby ;D

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
scooby, did you put anything in the holes left when you took off the stock mirrors?

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
I flipped the mount over on the throttle side, which worked perfectly to hide the hole. However on the clutch side, I could'nt get it off so I had in anticipation of bar end mirror mounting, bought from spare shack, rizoma, mirror hole plug screws in anodized black. Screwed it in and voila... I guess though, turning the mount over it easy, cheap and the way to go; but I had the screw, and you know how it goes with giving up on something...

Good luck!

Scooby ;D

M

·
0 Posts
I got some barend mirrors that double as barend weights. 0 vibes, look great, black powder coated, infinately adjustable and $30 each. Can't remember brand name but Emgo had a similar set for less but not as nice. Got them at a small independant M/C shop. Wish I had a pic to post.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wish you had a pic to post too?

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the pics, scooby, I think I will like them. I should be getting them any day now!!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hey Scooby! Did you or could you clamp down on the bar end weights also? I am a little weary of clamping down only on the last 1/4" of the bar.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
;)Gman, I only clamped them to the bars - not ends. The last 1/4" seems to give them enough purchase to hold tight. Since there is no real pressure (except for wind- and they are plenty secure for that) other then when you adjust the view, and I do that rarely. I'm not sure if you if you can clamp them to the bar ends, unless they have a diameter similar to the bars them selves...

Have fun!

Scooby ;D

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not having a fun time installing the mirrors!!! They do not clamp onto the stock bar end weights as Joe at Motostrano said. We ended up moving the controls which was a Pain in the ass!! There are holes in the bars that hold the controls in place and allow them to properly fit back together!!!
We got the left one on but are not happy with the movement of the controls. So tommorrow I am going to the shop for some new AM bar ends that will allow the mirrors to fit on, and moving the controls back.
the right one would not fit on my 1/4 " bar end it just kept popping off!! And the starter control would not slide and fit properly back together???
We removed the stock bar end weight, I thought this was a weight , well it's a piece of hollow plastc, must weigh as much as a feather!?
Scooby, is that mirror clamped around your bar end weight or just hanging on to the 1/4 " metal bar end then clamped to the very end of the bar weight?? with , like, nothing in between??
We will try again tommorrow with new bar end weights!!

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Deb,

Bummer you are having troubles... Yes, mine is merely clamped to the last 1/4"; and is very stable with that amount of limited purchase... I also tried initiallly to move the controls inward - and also discovered what a pain that would be. So when I figured out it would hold well enough on the last little bit, I did it that way.

Yeah, those plastic bar ends are a joke!

Good luck!

Scooby ;D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts