Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Confused!

965 views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  Capo 
#1 ·
here are differences in figures quoted in various Ducati S4R litrature regarding bore/stroke, gear ratios and sprockets.

Bore & Stroke
The S4R spec says a bore of 96mm and a stroke of 68.8mm wereas the manual says 94X66.

Sprockets
The spec says a front/rear sprocket combination of 15/35 whereas the Ducati sales guide for MY04 states 15/42 (significantly the Ducati Performance catalog list only a 42T rear sprocket for the S4R) tho this publication also describes the engine as being 2 valve air cooled!!.

Gear Ratios.
According to the owners manuals the S4 & S4R have the same transmission ratios (in difference to what has been staed here that the S4R has a 'close ratio' box). However the aforementioned sales gude, has a different set of ratios that are wider than those quoted in the owners manuals for both the S4 & S4R.

Now just what are the correct specs.

#4 ·
I had obtained the 96x68.6 spec from www.ducatimotor-liberec.cz/Download/My ing.pdf
This is a Ducati publication presumably intended to prime sales persons.

When the S4R first appeared, I cut and pasted the specs to a word file, this also states a bore/stroke of 96x68.6

Both the 96x68.8 and the 98x66 equate to 996cc (actualy 996.1cc and 995.8cc respectivly).

Hence my confusion.

The 94x66 stated in the owners manual equates to 916.2 so that is obviously an error.

Won't know the real story till I actualy see an S4R stripped

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.