Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Sounds like you're taking to the GS well. [thumbsup] What I don't get is you thinking that it's all that much slower or smaller than your Monster... I could be wrong on that one, but I also started on a 1989 GS500E (apparently all the great riders do [cheeky]) and I've ridden a few 620 of different eras and I gotta say that they're pretty darned close in power. Maybe it's just the idea that you're riding a Ducati with a capital "D" that makes you a bit more nervous so you wind up with it on the ground...

In any event, I think what's important is that you're getting a little starch in your sails from this new bike. I hope the knowledge that the Suzuki is really more of an equal to your Monster than you might think helps you mount the 620 with a new sense of control. If you're handling the GS this well, you're ready for your Duc--you just don't know it yet. :)

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
i'm glad you're feeling better on two wheels.

i'm gaining confidence myself... oddly enough, after the
drop, i feel better and less nervous about dropping her.

ducati culture always encourages me to get as much
saddle time in as possible, even if it's just going around
the block or taking a 5-minute ride or a 90-minute ride.
when i took heed to his advice, i noticed he was right.

just the repetition of what to do from the time the cover
comes off to putting her away for the night is a confidence
builder for me. as the fundamentals become 2nd nature,
i can be more present with the surprises, the challenges,
and the traffic because my body knows what to do and
i can react quicker.

keep it up,
~ empress ~

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Just from looking it up quickly, it looks like there's roughly a 12 hp difference between the two bikes. Nearly 25% more power can be intimidating, especially to a beginner.

I'm so glad it's working out so well for you, Lisa! I knew the Monster was intimidating to you. Learn to ride the wheels off that GS and then sell it for what you paid for it (or more)! Even better, take it to the track. Yours is just about the only case where I'd advocate bringing your street bike to the track. It's not going to get thrashed and I'm sure you don't really care if you drop it.

I'm proud of you, girly!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts