Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,
This is my first post so bear with me. I recently purchased an 2002 Ducati Monster 620. It was running fine but the Instrument Cluster was broken. I left town for 6 weeks and when I came back the cover I left on it had come of and my bike had been subject to some rain and below freezing temperatures. Now the bike won't start. All other electronics will work but the bike won't even click to turn over. From what I understand this is probably an issue with the "immobilizer". I know I can send my ECU in to get it flashed and the bike will (hopefully) start right up. However it is my understanding that I will need to marry my ECU to any new instrument cluster I get anyway so I might as well get them done at the same time. My questions are as follows:

1. Can I use an 2005 Ducati Monster 620 Instrument Cluster on my motorcycle even though my bike is a 2002?
2. If I purchase an ECU for the 2005 Ducati Monster that has already removed the Immobilizer will That work on my 2002?
3. If I am unable to use the 2005 ECU but I can use the Instrument Cluster will I have to send that in as well when I have the immobilizer removed or can they be done separately?
4. Do I have any other options in terms of non-ducati Instrument Clusters that are easy for a novice to install?

Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you remove the immobilizer from the ecu you will be able to use any instrument cluster but unfortunately they will not be plug and play (as for cable connections). Probably you will need a technician to match any cable starting from the new cluster to fit to the original cable connector (the most difficult one is the fuel line). Some answers to your questions:
1- yes but it has to be brand new or re-bulked
2- yes
3- no, re-bulking the ecu it will work even without any cluster
4- already answered...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking to do all of the work myself. Is there any way to check to see if the 2005 Monster 620 ECU and Instrument cluster (If already flashed to work together, and had the immobilizer removed) would be compatible with my 2002 Monster 620? I found the pair for cheap on ebay and would like to hop on that opportunity.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Electric systems are fully compatible. If the immobilizer is till working take care that the three items match (ecu, cluster and key cilinder).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So here are the updates. I ended up purchasing an ECU from what was listed as an '05 Monster (mine is an '02) that is remapped and has no immobilizer. I also purchased the instrument cluster as well. I threw both on with limited success. First the good:
The instrument cluster flips on, turns on and off high beams, recognizes neutral, etc.
Also now when I try to push start the bike it sounds like it will actually run if it can get some fuel which was not the case before the new ECU.
The bad:
My starter still isn't doing anything. When I press it no clicking, no engine turnover, nothing.
Also now when I push start it my bike isnt getting fuel no matter how gently or roughly I rev it.

Here are my thoughts. My starter could just be bad as well. That could have been what turned the immobilizer on in the first place. Getting a new one could fix that problem. Or due to the remapping being for an '05 even though its the same ECU and everything else works something could be wrong. This could also be the problem with why my bike isn't getting fuel. There could be an issue with compatibility of the remapping with my 02 vs the 05. I plan on trying the find out where the previous owner of the ECU had it remapped and calling that service to see if there is a big difference or if this might happen.

Any advice on how to remedy either of these problems would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
You've done all that and you don't know how to trick a starter? Wow. Disconnect the red wire from one side of the solenoid, then touch it to the other. The starter will spin even if the key is off. That will tell you if the starter works or not.

If you turn the key on you can then jump the starter wires. If it still won't start you could try some ether, starting fluid, on the air filter. You need to also check for spark but you'll need extra hands if you need to jump the starter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All right so we have so progress. Thanks to caferacermike I got my bike to start up for a minute two times. Looking back on his comment though I may have bypassed the solenoid improperly. I had the bike turned on and then tapped the positive lead on the far side of the solenoid and once it started up I pulled it off and allowed my bike to run for a minute.
Here were my problems at this point.
1. It began sitting at around 6500rpms and just sat there for around 45-50 seconds before it finally started to drop. It would drop by around 1500rpm increments, if I gave it throttle it would bounce up and hold before slowly coming down again. It did this for about 30 seconds and then just quit. At this point I tried to do the same bypass. (As a reminder this new ECU is from an 05 reflash, not the 02 so Im not sure if that would cause this. I was assured this wouldn't be an issue but I can't verify the trustworthiness of the source). It would click but not start up. From constantly working on this thing I am pretty sure I have killed my battery so I am charging it up right now. It is also sitting at around a third of a tank and wasn't run for those six weeks. A friend noted that the gas may have gone bad seeing as my tank is slightly rusted on the inside (another project). The question on that is should I try to drain my tank or just fill it up the other 2/3rds of the way? Finally, I have to figure out what, from the solenoid to the ignition button is faulty.

As always your help is appreciated

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you are in the US and use ethanol-blended pump gas... and it has sat that long, yes, drain that crap out if you are able to. If possible, find some non-ethanol blended gas to at least get your bike up and running again, it can be available locally at the pump (some states allow premium gas, for example, to be ethanol-free, or sometimes you can find 'race' gas) or even bite the bullet and get some retail (canned) gas.

I normally suggest putting a additive in to help recover the injectors and fuel system after storage, but I don't know enough about the Ducati's system to recommend it at this point.

If you are going to leave ethanol-blended gas for any length of time, put a stabilizer in it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you remove the immobilizer from the ecu you will be able to use any instrument cluster but unfortunately they will not be plug and play (as for cable connections). Probably you will need a technician to match any cable starting from the new cluster to fit to the original cable connector (the most difficult one is the fuel line). Some answers to your questions:
1- yes but it has to be brand new or re-bulked
2- yes
3- no, re-bulking the ecu it will work even without any cluster
4- already answered...
...what does Bulking mean?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts