Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for another monster and comparing advantages,disadvantages of s2r 800 and the 1000,reliability, performance with a passenger etc...I would appreciate any feedback... anyone with firsthand knowledge?

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I'm in the market for another monster and comparing advantages,disadvantages of s2r 800 and the 1000,reliability, performance with a passenger etc...I would appreciate any feedback... anyone with firsthand knowledge?
I own an 803 and rented a 1000 in Italy for a week or so. Honestly, the 1000 didn't seem much different one way or another. The bikes are virtually the same spec (frame, suspension, tires, switchgear, brakes, etc.) and "feel" about the same to ride. The 1000 didn't seem much faster really, even though the 803 gives away almost 200cc. Have not ridden either one with a passenger so I can't speak to that but should be similar. Expect both to deliver about the same level of reliability and other than the cost of an extra set of spark plugs, maintenance costs should be similar as they're both 2 valve motors.

What are you finding in the pre-owned market? Is the price differential significant?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi MDO!! Thanks for the response..There are some really clean looking bikes for sale now in both the s2r 803 and the 1000...and really not that much difference in price... I've come to enjoy the lighter bikes...so mabe I'll go with the 800... : )

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Yeah the HP difference between the two bikes is nearly negligible. I have a 803 and its fast enough for sure.

Two-up will suck with both bikes IMO. They just aren't made for it. You have to consider the percentage of weight you are adding... when your bike weighs 1000 lbs then two people doesn't make as much of a difference but when your bike weighs 400 lbs... well after a half hour, you want her off. hahaha

/2cents

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Hi MDO!! Thanks for the response..There are some really clean looking bikes for sale now in both the s2r 803 and the 1000...and really not that much difference in price... I've come to enjoy the lighter bikes...so mabe I'll go with the 800... : )
I don't think the 803 weighs significantly less than the 1000 as they're nearly identical in all respects except for displacement. If it were my choice, price might be the main consideration. I bought mine new when the price delta was about $1200.00 (US). I reasoned that I could get an aftermarket exhaust for that and still own a nice ride. Don't know if the delta is the same in the used market.

Couple things to consider when buying used (you probably already know this stuff)

Check the VIN. Local police will do it for you. And match the motor to the frame. You don't want something bolted together out of stolen parts. It will be a huge problem when you go to sell it later. And registration in your state could go sideways too. Good luck getting your money back in that case.

Get the complete service history. If done at the dealer, this should be a snap. If done by the owner, they should be able to produce receipts for normal service parts like oil filters, cam belts and valve shims. If they are competent at do it yourself service they should have recorded valve clearances if they did their own adjustments. If the owner can't produce this stuff you could be taking ownership of some expensive service headaches and you might want to move on to the next one instead.

GET THE RED KEY. A royal pain if you don't get it and possibly a red flag. (see above, under check the VIN) Even with a good story it'll cost you to get a replacement and reprogram the key/ECU. A missing red key will devalue the bike and means you will have trouble selling later and will likely get less for it.

Good luck with your search. You're gonna love either of these bikes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thks... it all helps get a good understanding of the sport... I got to thinking that the bigger displacement would probably show a better performance at top speed.. Perhaps the gearing produces virtually the same performance for the 800 at the lower speeds.. All of which means to me that the 800 is going to be alright!! Since I'm not really that crazy about doing 150 mph anyway.. ;D

·
Registered
19 Posts
1000 has plain bearings for the camshaft vs ball bearings on the 800. 1000 is also dry clutch vs the wet type on the 800. Supposedly the 1000 has surging problems at low rpms as well due too bad ecu tuning from the factory. I'd go 1000 just for the mechanical advances over the 800. I think people who like to trick out their bike go with the 1000, and people who would rather have daily reliability and ease of mind go 800.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Go with S2R1000, +18HP, +26.5Nm and only 5kg more than S2R800.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I rode them both when I was shopping and ended up with the 800 due to the availability of a good deal on one and that I was leaning toward a mid-size anyway.

Rear suspension is the same on both bikes, but not the front. The 1000 has the adjustable Ohlin's up front, the 800 does not.

The 1000 will outrun the 800 on the freeway, but not so much in the corners, where its power advantage can get wasted. The wet clutch on the 800 makes for smoother starts, but you'd probably get used to the dry clutch lurch-away pretty fast.

Two-up riding will be all but impossible with the stock seat. It's just not designed right for putting someone on the back of. A Corbin will fix that, but it will also set you back $400. Then again, a Corbin will also fix the lameness of the seat foam Ducati uses, so you may end up spending that money anyway if you actually ride the bike a lot. It's that or getting used to the proverbial pain in the ....

If you're looking at a used bike and it does not have the Poor Duc Rider fairing stays, plan on spending $35 for them unless you intend to remove the fairing. The thing bounces around like madness without them; with them the bike punches a nice clean hole through the air.

In the end, they are both great bikes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Once again thks justpaul..this is great info for anyone comparing the two bikes...I agree the original Duc seat is not so good,especially for the back rider..I changed the seat on my 600 duc and welded an old fashioned grab bar behind,for my passenger.. Mabe I'll do the same with the next bike since it offers a much safer feeling for the passenger and looks ok..Also I was curious about the small fairing..They look great to my eye but it is quite small so its good to know they work well too!! Rock On!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts