Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Commuter.

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  dbriannelson 
#1 ·
Just got a 620 Dark to commute with two weeks ago. My first bike was a Monza 250 back in 1967, so I have a soft spot for the marque. Since I got rid of my last car twenty-two months ago I've been riding about 2100 miles a month on the other bikes ('02 KLR 650, '02 VFR800) so I wanted something inexpensive, durable, mostly pretty, to ride to work and around town to save wear and tear on the long distance workhorses.

Couldn't leave well enough alone though, so the tail's bobbed to the seat, stickers and logos removed, a couple of LS bar-ends on order and I'll eventually get a 2-into-1 megaphone, open the airbox, re-map, etc.

Gotta tell you, the seat's bad, but those I've talked to suggest the Sargent rather than Corbin (Got those on the other two). So a seat's on the list as well.

Bikes are money pits. But I guess everyone here already knows that.

So I'm just checking in to say, "Hi!"

-D.

#2 ·
Welcome....... Noobie D ;D You'll love it here, maybe ;D

#3 ·
So why do you suppose they put those pegs so low that boots drag the asphalt? Got to buy an adjustable link to raise the rear, then it's only a respite until they drag again as I get a wee bit more confident.

I've got like two (2) corners on the way to work and pick my commute times to maximize the probablility that I'll be able to actually use them without cages all over the place, but can't go as deep as the dirt bike even.

Rearsets, eh?

Oh, happy to be here. Sorry about the rambling.

-Don

#5 ·
2-into-1 megaphone = 2-into-1 with a tapered shorty megaphone can (like a Norton can). Probably low-mount. Ducati makes one for some of the Monsters. Had a system kinda like that on a Bonneville back in '76 or so (yeah, I'm real old), and I liked the looks a lot. Noise-wise, anything's better than stock, and as it's a 620cc flow isn't much constricted stock, so it's not an issue for add-ons.

-Don

#8 ·
Hey Don,
Welcome to the board. As for commuting, I use my monster for commuting, some weekend zipping around, and the occasional touring. If you're scraping your pegs, you might want to check the sag on the rear shock. Most Ducati are set up for 150# Italian guys, so there may be a chance a bit more preload will cure your problem. Also, I'm not sure about your bike, but some of the earlier bikes have threaded heim joints attached to the hoop that supports the seat. You can unscrew these about a half inch to get more clearance.

As for being a geezer, no apologies needed. My first bike was a '75 CB360T and it was new. I think you'll find a more 'seasoned' crowd here than they typical bike forum. (Note that I *didn't* say 'mature'.)

Lastly, I checked out your site, and I daresay your commute gets you to a more interesting job than most of us. Hope you include some Monsters in your work. ;)

-Michael

G
#9 ·
As for being a geezer, no apologies needed. My first bike was a '75 CB360T and it was new. I think you'll find a more 'seasoned' crowd here than they typical bike forum. (Note that I *didn't* say 'mature'.)

Mike, were you speaking of smart a$$es like myself?

Welcome, Don! I know you'll enjoy your monster. The only problem is, there's always something to add/change/modify. That's almost as much fun as riding it.
By the way, it's good to see an "old dog" like you trying to get a knee down!

#12 ·
Yeah...well...photographing women is a pretty good way for an old f*rt to hang with chicks. Got a couple of gallery shows going, and sell to the occasional magazine or anthology. Shot nightlife for the S-D Union-Tribune for awhile but late nights and an early dayjob got in the way.

Anyway, the Monster's gonna be a monoposto. Pulled the hugger today, arranged some low megaphones at GP and will open the airbox and have the map blown the week after next. Last night after too many beers, I asked a tattoo guy about doing a Virgin of Guadaloupe on my tank. Be the only ****** in town with one of those.

Life does just keep getting better. For now at least.

-Don

#13 ·
Paid to ride. If I talk about this too much someone's gonna figure out I have a good dayjob. But I did one R-T San Diego to Amarillo, and one to just past Dallas. And while riding SD to Billings to Buffalo to Providence (#2 son's graduation) and back, I got asked to drop by a helicopter manufacturer in the area and pulled a partial mileage payment, plus got to sleep upscale for four nights (rather than Motel 6). I do some local stuff to Palmdale as well.

Boss says I can keep doing that until he gets hints from above that fun will no longer be tolerated on company time.

-Don

#14 ·
Monsters are notorious for shallow cornering clearance, and your 620 must be worse than my S4 (as if that one wasn't bad enough). If you're a cruiser/ tourer you're probably putting the arches of your feet on the pegs. Try using the balls of your feet instead. Good for another couple inches of added clearance. Finally, get low and lean more than the bike does. You can now negotiate the same corner at the same speed while keeping the bike more upright (or take the same corner at the same lean angle and go faster - you get the idea).

With a bit of experience and practice I can now take corners I used to drag all kinds of body- and bike parts in much faster without ever touching down (unless I feel like showing off ;) )

Scraping pegs and toes is not a problem, just watch out for that kickstand on the one side and the can on the other.

-R.

#16 ·
Hey Leo. Posting here more than the other one already. Sorry to hear about your weather up there. In these parts, as you know, we hardly notice winter.

So howcome no one around here knows you photograph about the same sorta stuff I do?

Love that Ducati People picture.

-Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.