Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my 2002 M750Dark for one year. I have 4000 miles on my bike.

Everytime I've experienced something that I 'felt' was wrong with my new Ducati, a visit to this site proved my concerns unfounded. This gave me the idea for this thread.

The following is my list of perceived 'problems' as a new Duc owner. Anyone else experience any or all of these:

1) After high revving or a long wheelie: The tach gets confused and works improperly. Turning off the bike and restarting resets the tach. All is right again.

2) Mysteriously drinks a quart of motor oil within about 2000 miles of summer riding. My friend says his SuperHawk use to do the same. Gotta keep peeping through that little window.
(My oil indicator came on after a wheelie...I checked and found myself a quart low at around 2000 miles) I was concerned naturally...where'd my oil go?

3) After washing the bike or being caught in the rain...upon starting the bike the starter continues after releasing the button. My dealer could not duplicate the problem. (Has only happened to me twice) Both times when wet.

4) Oil filter 'always' has a light sweat of motor oil on it. Not a leak, not enough to form a single drop, but can be felt if you run your fingers along the body of the filter.

5) Buzzing, hum when applying the front brakes. Simply the noise of the drilled rotors going through the brake pads.

6) Missed Shifts, false nuetrals..... It's a Duc...

7) Prone to tank slappers? Has not happened to me. But I have seen many a post on that tendency. Hmmm.

8) Geared a little high. Must use clutch in first gear to get a smooth take off. (Becomes second nature to us...but causes friends riding your Duc for first time to chatter and shake away from a stop.) However, I like the gearing and the clutch work. Wheelies are us! Easy to control and duplicate.

9) Side stand warming? What the F###? is that?

10) Turns the heads of riders, non-riders, HD riders, bicycle riders, rascal riders, pedestrians, dogs, cats, squirells, causes birds to fly away, soccor moms to mouth impolite words due to their difficulty hearing the other party on their cell phone, clergy to bless themselves, small children to cry and soil themselves, and owners to smile from ear to ear! 8)

Ride Safe,
JJ

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
In Total agreement of #10 out riding today, set off at least 5 car alarms. Turned a dozen heads and had over a dozen people think my bike was brand new. Hee Hee! 93 babee and beyond clean ;D

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
7) Prone to tank slappers? Has not happened to me. But I have seen many a post on that tendency. Hmmm.
I was one of those "it hasn't happened to me" guys for the first six years and 19,600 miles on my Monster. I was even a critic of the need for steering dampers on Monsters.

But you only need one good tank slapper to total a bike and end up in the emergency room. Get a steering damper.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
The 620 and 750 take a littlr more to seat rings than the bigger ones. I have seen brand new ones smoking like hell when new and disappear by the 600 mile service. They need a few thousand miles to get broken in really well.
Tranny needs awhile to get seated real well also, should get smoother as you get more miles.
Oil filter neeeds a light film of oil on the rubber gasket applied with finger to form a good seal. There was a batch of filters last year that would leak and not seal. Try another filter.
I have seen the starter relays stick occasionaly when new also. It goes away unless tthe button is sticking.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
holy ressurected thread, batman! :eek:

a "tank slapper" is when the front wheel gets into an increasing oscillation, and the handlebars slam violently from stop to stop. usually this is quickly followed by an equally violent dismount from the motorcycle. a tank slapper falls broadly under the heading of 'Bad Things.'

and, as he stated in the list, the buzzing noise is just the sound that drilled rotors make under braking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts