Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried the comfort seat out? On shorter rides the seat seems to be fine, on slightly longer rides I noticed some discomfort and not from pressure or hot spots. I'm planning on some 6-7hr non stop rides this summer so I want to be comfortable. New job is on a 9/80 schedule ;D, every other Friday off.

I think what is happening is a combination of a couple of things:

1. The seat has grip from the texture/perforation
2. Its sloped slightly forward.

I think what is happening is that the seat grabs my pants and I'm sliding forward and its bunching up my pants and putting pressure on my balls or atl least just bunching up the pant material there and creating excess heat. Provides good support, but I like the boys to breathe a little. I've been able to ride for hours on end on sport bikes and other standard without issue. They all had smooth seats so I was thinking maybe that was the issue. Anyone else notice this? I notice it more when I wear my riding over pants. Don't notice it too much when I'm riding, its when I stand up that I feel a bit of relief.

The comfort seat looks like its suede or something similar for the seating surface. I really like the look of the stock seat, but some other things take priority!

·
Registered
185 Posts
It feels really comfortable and pretty darn flat up front and it's rise in the back isn't as steep as the stock seat either. My jeans can get pulled up a little but I just pull them down when I'm on the bike and they seem to stay there, definitely no ball crushing going on.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Tofur
Is that the comfort seat on your bike? I'm having the same issues with my stock seat as others after a long ride my pants seem to ride up on me. I thought it was my pants at first but it seems to put the rider into the tank which is understandable in aggressive riding but on a long ride can be a ball crusher. I would love to hear more reviews on the comfort seat.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Tofur
Is that the comfort seat on your bike? I'm having the same issues with my stock seat as others after a long ride my pants seem to ride up on me. I thought it was my pants at first but it seems to put the rider into the tank which is understandable in aggressive riding but on a long ride can be a ball crusher. I would love to hear more reviews on the comfort seat.
It's called the touring seat, but it is a lot more comfortable. It doesn't push you into the tank at all, but I do find my pants ride up a inch or two (has happened on every street bike I've ever ridden).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The touring seat is awesome. I modded my factory seat, still working on it actually. 2nd rendition so far. Once I get it lined out and comfortable like the touring seat, I'll sell my touring seat.
Nice to know I'm not the only one. What are you doing to the factory seat, shaping the foam?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yes, I shaped it flatter, then built it up in the front. I removed most of the material from the tailbone area. Trying to get it right. It's close now, but I think I want to add a layer of foam to soften it up a bit. I'm 6'1" so I feel crunched in the stock seat on the high setting. The touring seat is comfy and feels really close to "right". My main issue now is running out of material on the stock seat to re-wrap it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yes, I shaped it flatter, then built it up in the front. I removed most of the material from the tailbone area. Trying to get it right. It's close now, but I think I want to add a layer of foam to soften it up a bit. I'm 6'1" so I feel crunched in the stock seat on the high setting. The touring seat is comfy and feels really close to "right". My main issue now is running out of material on the stock seat to re-wrap it.
What about putting a layer of gel in instead of adding back foam? I'm planning to get my seat flattened out more front to rear and then add the gel. As it is now the seat causes my old hips to rotate and they hurt after about an hour of riding. I'd like to flatten the passenger part out as well; my girlfriend says the pointy hump is uncomfortable. I told her it was for her to "grip" with...:D

·
Registered
351 Posts
HAHA! Did you duck when you said that?

I thought about gel yes, but couldn't find reasonably priced gel material. Any links? Also, I'm back to the OEM cover being stretched beyond it's original size. Hence the cover is basically too small... I'd have to pay someone to make a cover for it and I like the OEM cover. 1st world problems!

·
Registered
535 Posts
I thought about gel yes, but couldn't find reasonably priced gel material. Any links?
No links, just a couple of people who specialize in doing the work locally. I was looking at the Corbin Gunfighter + lady seat but since with the US/Canadian exchange rate is 75 cents on the dollar the Corbin seat is damn near 900 bucks here with shipping and what not. I can get a lot of mods done to this seat for 900 bucks! I too like the stock seat look, I just want a flatter profile. Also, I want to be able to put the cowl back on if I want. I'm doing a trip to Indianapolis at the beginning August from Toronto and I want a comfortable seat for the trip!

·
Registered
7 Posts
No links, just a couple of people who specialize in doing the work locally. I was looking at the Corbin Gunfighter + lady seat but since with the US/Canadian exchange rate is 75 cents on the dollar the Corbin seat is damn near 900 bucks here with shipping and what not. I can get a lot of mods done to this seat for 900 bucks! I too like the stock seat look, I just want a flatter profile. Also, I want to be able to put the cowl back on if I want. I'm doing a trip to Indianapolis at the beginning August from Toronto and I want a comfortable seat for the trip!
So how did it work out on your trip what did you doo for a seat?

·
Registered
535 Posts
So how did it work out on your trip what did you doo for a seat?
I started out getting the stock seat modified with a reshape for the rider portion to flatten it and add a gel insert and then the passenger portion was flattened and gel added to that. It was definitely much better. However, the opportunity came up to buy a Corbin used in new condition for less than half the price of new, so I took it. Well, the Corbin seat is hard as rock if you just feel it, so I was very skeptical on my drive home with the seat in the car. Then I put it on the bike and took it for a test ride...WOW! What a difference! The position is better than I thought possible and it is so comfortable in real world use. I understand now why these guys have been successful for so long making seats!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I started out getting the stock seat modified with a reshape for the rider portion to flatten it and add a gel insert and then the passenger portion was flattened and gel added to that. It was definitely much better. However, the opportunity came up to buy a Corbin used in new condition for less than half the price of new, so I took it. Well, the Corbin seat is hard as rock if you just feel it, so I was very skeptical on my drive home with the seat in the car. Then I put it on the bike and took it for a test ride...WOW! What a difference! The position is better than I thought possible and it is so comfortable in real world use. I understand now why these guys have been successful for so long making seats!
It being hard doesn't make your but numb also how many hour rides can you comfortably go on the corbin, i can ride an hr or 2 on stock seat then the discomfort comes have a bony ass

·
Registered
7 Posts
The touring seat is awesome. I modded my factory seat, still working on it actually. 2nd rendition so far. Once I get it lined out and comfortable like the touring seat, I'll sell my touring seat.
How many hour rides have you been on with touring seat ? Have u gone any distance, if you were going to rate stock seat out of 10 and touring seat out of 10 what would u rate each one in terms of comfort

·
Registered
535 Posts
It being hard doesn't make your but numb also how many hour rides can you comfortably go on the corbin, i can ride an hr or 2 on stock seat then the discomfort comes have a bony ass
I rode 400 KM, about 4 hours, only stopped for gas and a quick drink, no problem on Sunday. The stock seat was brutal for me, maybe an hour before I had to stop, certainly wasn't making it through a tank of gas. It was much better with the modded seat but nowhere near as good as the Corbin. The real difference, however, was the fact that the shape of the Corbin was so much more comfortable on my hips. When I do a lot of hard braking with the stock seat and to a lesser degree, with the modded seat, I would stay in the same position on the seat but the weight transfer was a forward and down motion that killed my hips! With the Corbin, that feeling is completely gone. YMMV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It feels really comfortable and pretty darn flat up front and it's rise in the back isn't as steep as the stock seat either. My jeans can get pulled up a little but I just pull them down when I'm on the bike and they seem to stay there, definitely no ball crushing going on.

How long can you ride till your but gets soar? In comparison to stock 6 out of 10 how would you rate this one out of 10

1 - 20 of 21 Posts