Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I hear you! 45 min on the parkway at 3am is not fun. Temp when i got home was 40. At 60mph isnt it = to -20 of what the ambient temperature is? I have been looking into an Aerostich one piece or just moving to california...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Tell me about it. I just got back from riding up near Harriman State park in NY. I had to stop and buy some gloves at a convenience store to put underneath my riding gloves. I also had a problem with my visor fogging up. I'm still going to ride, but just need to start wearing a few more layers.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
layers and stuff helps but teh overall vibe you get when its 70 to 80 is gone IMO under 60 degrees... the way the bike handles the way you feel... its just not the same... this sucks cause Im totally hooked but Im def not riding in 50 below... at least not upstate

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
When you buy your vest you have a choice of hook ups. There are two basic types, the SAE style (like with a battery tender) o0r the BMW style. I forgot where you are in Joisey, but Aldrin at Rockwell's can set you up, or if they are closer to, you Cross Country in Metouchen.

Oh, my plug is just tucked behind the side cover.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
You guys are pansies, last year we had a DML ride up to high point and I actually saw snow flakes hit my visor! :p [laugh]

Seriously though, I have some heated socks (and I meant to get gloves too) from Gerbing that I've been meaning to get connected up. I usually go out happily while the temp is 40 or over. This morning I went pretty hardcore on my layers. Here's a handy tip, wear your rain gear, put plastic bags over your socks and wear latex gloves under your normal gloves. Oh, get a balaclava too. Once it drops below zero as a top temp for the day, I'm going to be thinking more about snowboarding than riding. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
EvilSteve said:
You guys are pansies
I'm with Mr.Evil. Just got back from a 14 hour, yes 14 hour outting. It was orignally meant to be about 4-5 hours shorter but due to circumstances beyond our control, well...it ended up being what it was.

Yep, froze my butt off, but it's really not that bad. I look it at it like this, it sure beats not riding at all. On one of our stops, I bought a Sunday paper and stuffed half of it down the front of my shirt (an old cycling trick), and it worked like a charm. It provided extra insulation, and was 100% windproof, more so than my supposed "Windproof shell" that I wore under my leather. That and the wool cycling clothing I wore helped out a lot too. My only real gripe about this time of year is the lack of daylight, but like I said, if I have to ride in the cold and also in the dark, so be it, I'd rather be riding than not.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Vindingo said:
I have been looking into an Aerostich one piece or just moving to california...
Haha... Its definitely one or the other. I've been thinking along the same lines. I was in Los Angeles for 6 months and once i got the bike i never saw my car again. Rode to work this morning with crazy layers, but my uncovered chin was nearing frostbite... not fun.

·
Registered
221 Posts
+1 with dan. me and my friends will be doing rides all year long up untill january or feb. anything above 40 is bearable after you've been doing it for a while, it just takes getting use to. basically show/ice/and freezing temps make riding unbearable.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
goldenchild said:
I'm with Mr.Evil. Just got back from a 14 hour, yes 14 hour outting. It was orignally meant to be about 4-5 hours shorter but due to circumstances beyond our control, well...it ended up being what it was.

Yep, froze my butt off, but it's really not that bad. I look it at it like this, it sure beats not riding at all. On one of our stops, I bought a Sunday paper and stuffed half of it down the front of my shirt (an old cycling trick), and it worked like a charm. It provided extra insulation, and was 100% windproof, more so than my supposed "Windproof shell" that I wore under my leather. That and the wool cycling clothing I wore helped out a lot too. My only real gripe about this time of year is the lack of daylight, but like I said, if I have to ride in the cold and also in the dark, so be it, I'd rather be riding than not.
you at 10,000 yet?

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
got a smart idea to make my own heated gear. I bought a couple feet of nichrome wire, did some math to figure out the length, voltage and wattage and never started sewing :p

Maybe i'll get around to it this year, heh.

anyone with a sewing machine and some skills? haha

1 - 20 of 27 Posts