Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, my ride to work this morning was ... umm .. brisk ... no ... it was damn cold. :eek:

I think we should share any tips/tricks in dealing with the weather.

this morning i wore some REI long-johns under my jeans, riding boots, and a bandana around my neck to block the wind.

i am thinking of getting some cycling tights to wear under my jeans instead ... most of them are wind-proof on the front.

i'm also getting some glove liners, because my leather gloves don't do much to keep me warm. i end up grabbing my s-pipes at stoplights to warm my hands back up.

Silas ... what was the name of that camera lense anti-fog that you mentioned? my shield fogs at every stop.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
sennaster said:
Wow, my ride to work this morning was ... umm .. brisk ... no ... it was damn cold. :eek:

I think we should share any tips/tricks in dealing with the weather.

this morning i wore some REI long-johns under my jeans, riding boots, and a bandana around my neck to block the wind.

i am thinking of getting some cycling tights to wear under my jeans instead ... most of them are wind-proof on the front.

i'm also getting some glove liners, because my leather gloves don't do much to keep me warm. i end up grabbing my s-pipes at stoplights to warm my hands back up.

Silas ... what was the name of that camera lense anti-fog that you mentioned? my shield fogs at every stop.
I don't remember mentioning (getting that age thing that Pompetta has), but I know that they do make it for both Plastic and Glass optics...

LensBrite is one that I know works decent for glass lens but says it works on Plastic as well...

LensBrite

One thing that I use when its cold is a topless Toboggan. I have one that had a draw string on it used to let heat out when skiing, when working up a sweat on the slopes... I pull it down over my head and cover my nose and neck. Works like a champ, but the visor does fog a bit. My clear visor came as an anti-fog, and doesn't fog like my tented sheild does...

I got some Long Johns as well.. but i don't use them on the commute to work. I only have 4 miles to go, and sitting in a cube with pants and long johns would be way tooo much!!!!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
You sissy! ;D Yeah, some kind of undergarment is a necessity. Underarmor is good, and I have some nice longjohns from Aerostich.com (thermals). At temps less than freezing, I wear both. Turtlenecks might not be your fashion preference, but they are great for keeping your neck warm and protected from the wind.

Instead of the bandana, go with a balaclava (get a thin silk or polyester microfiber one so it fits comfortably under your helmet; for example: warm head). A nice balaclava goes down pretty far on your neck and does a great job of stopping wind.

Glove liners are good for cool weather, but when it gets cold, you're gonna need real winter gloves. Aerostich also makes some nice "three finger" glove covers (clicky) that are nylon and waterproof.

·
Banned
322 Posts
Today was brisk. I put the liner in my jacket. It does a great job of keeping my upper body warm. I need to find some leather overpants. Any recommendations?

I don't seem to have a lot of fogging of my visor, but rather my glasses tend to fog up. I watched Clemson beat up on GaTech Saturday at a friend's house. I rode home after midnight. It was very brisk. My glasses very fogging big time. I kept cracking the visor to clear them, but damn it was cold.

Ken

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when it gets really cold, i break out my snowboard pants and gloves.

oh and a tip for silas ... take the longjohns off when you get to work :p

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
minkman said:
Today was brisk. I put the liner in my jacket. It does a great job of keeping my upper body warm. I need to find some leather overpants. Any recommendations?

I don't seem to have a lot of fogging of my visor, but rather my glasses tend to fog up. I watched Clemson beat up on GaTech Saturday at a friend's house. I rode home after midnight. It was very brisk. My glasses very fogging big time. I kept cracking the visor to clear them, but damn it was cold.

Ken
I have the Cortech Decker pants that zip into both my perfed and non-perfed Cortech jackets. I've had them for over two years. i've worn them alot, and I have nothing but good things to say.

If your helmet doesn't have one, you can get a breath deflector (breath guard).

·
Registered
84 Posts
I recommend a full fairing.

I've found the key to staying warm is the base layer. My personal favorite so far is a product by Mountain Hardwear that is called next2skin or something like that. It's basically performance base layer stuff made of a windstopper material and is a bit stretchy. Very comfortable and is warm under jeans down to 40-50 degrees. Couldn't give more praise to the stuff. I've also had alot of luck with a windstopper fleece neck gaiter with all the heat loss that occurs there.

Leather sucks for cold prevention/heat retention. The textile products out there are much better. I agree with sennaster that snowboarding or snowmobiling stuff will work best. A good outer layer textile pant would do the trick. Lots of windproof/waterproof stuff out there. Aerostitch has lots of goodies since those crazy bastards ride year round in Duluth, MN. The only gloves I've found that actually keep me warm at any temp are some Dainese winter gloves that are basically like ski gloves with protective knuckles, etc.

No good advice on fogging. My Arai helmets have a nice chin shield that pulls down/out to block too much cold air from entering and helps a bit. Not sure about other manufacturers.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
sennaster said:
when it gets really cold, i break out my snowboard pants and gloves.

oh and a tip for silas ... take the longjohns off when you get to work :p

I am just not big on getting undressed in my cube... hehe or anywhere else at work for that matter...

·
Banned
322 Posts
The cold killers look warm. However, my office stays very warm. I need something that is easy to remove once I get to work. I'm in Silas's boat, disrobing at work is not an option. I work at the school system. They're REALLY touchy about things like that.

Ken

·
Registered
582 Posts
I got a balaclava that I wear, and some long johns and under armour for under my sweatshirt. I usually wear a sweatshirt plus my textile jack, jeans and long johnsd when its really cold outside.

Does anyone have any good recommendations on gloves liners? I have Technic gloves which lack warmth all around and could use something.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My favorite cold weather tactic is to take my BMW K12RS with heated grips and a fairing [laugh]

It was cold today, my feet got pretty cold after an hour or so.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Nikon makes a dry cloth called Fog eliminator that seems to work very well and is reusable. I picked it up at REI.

I wear some some mountain bike thermal tights under my jeans and just layer up on the top.

I am in need of some cheap gloves and over pants at this point.

gloves
pants

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
pompetta said:
About those waterproof pants -- they are made to tuck INTO a boot. I'm not sure I understand the design principles there.
I have the Moto GP pants and they can be tucked into or left over the boot. In the wet, I leave it over. In the cold, I tuck it in.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts