Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's everyone wearing this season to keep your mitts warm?

Today's ride sealed the deal for me, I need cold weather gloves.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
I have a pair of Olympia cold weather gloves, but I can't really recommend them. They are leather and supposedly have Kevlar and some kind of windblock material, but the liner slides inside the leather shell, and the overall thickness leaves me feeling disconnected from the controls.

I generally prefer using the Bikers glove liners inside my regular Held gloves. But there are days I'd really have liked electric grips!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Michael Moore said:
I generally prefer using the Bikers glove liners inside my regular Held gloves. But there are days I'd really have liked electric grips!
I did the liner in the held gloves thing this morning and I felt like my hands were frostbitten to all hell by the time I got to work. My helds are the summer type though even though they are gauntlets so that might be why (ninja model I think). Normally I'm ok with the so-called 'winter' of Las Vegas but this year has just been brutal.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
gnostic203 said:
I did the liner in the held gloves thing this morning and I felt like my hands were frostbitten to all hell by the time I got to work. My helds are the summer type though even though they are gauntlets so that might be why (ninja somethings I think). Normally I'm ok with the so-called 'winter' of Las Vegas but this year has just been brutal.
I have those same Ninja Held gloves and i find the same thing. I also have Olympia 4350 winter gloves too. Unlike mike moore, they work for me rather well. I wonder if mike has the 4100GT weatherking model? The real trick to keeping hands warm come from using a Gerbings jacket liner. So long as my core stays warm, the blood will stay in my hands keeping them warm. I havnt needed electric grips yet. (not that i wont install the set i bought 2 years ago eventually)

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I bought some HD winter gloves on a 1000 mile roadtrip From Ohio to FL in 20-30 degree weather. THey failed miserably and were worth only around 4-5 minutes of riding before my hands were excrutiatingly cold.

I then wore neoprene gloves underneath that were both wind and waterproof, and even still it was painful.

Gloves are a serious weak-point in my motorcycle gear. I wish there was a pair of gloves that was really truly cold weather.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
I use Joe Rocket Nitrogen gloves. They have been around for a while and should be under $70. I ride until the temp hits 40 deg. F and my hands have yet to get cold. They are waterproof too!

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
My review of what I'm wearing on the really cold days.

On the "cool / cold" days, I do the liners in my Helds.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
CETME said:
Gloves are a serious weak-point in my motorcycle gear. I wish there was a pair of gloves that was really truly cold weather.
I totally agree. I have an electric vest and I think it does make it easier to keep your hands warm (more blood moving about) but it isn't a total cure-all by any means.

On interesting idea I saw on a guy's monster is a set of dirtbike brushguards. He'd add them on for the winter months and remove in the spring. Said it really helped. Took me a minute to get my chin off the ground seeing a Ducati with brushguards. :eek:

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I wear these Buell gloves. Got a screamin' deal on them at the local H-D boutique (they don't seem to sell much Buell apparel..)

They work well and keep my hands dry down to about 32o. Any colder than that, and my hands will get cold -- however, as Michael noted, keeping your body's core warm can go a long way toward keeping your hands warm.

These Buell gloves have excellent control feel -- even better than my Alpinestars SP-1 gloves that I wear in warmer months. (click the pic to visit the Buell site)

·
Registered
160 Posts
tsd345 said:
I use Joe Rocket Nitrogen gloves. They have been around for a while and should be under $70. I ride until the temp hits 40 deg. F and my hands have yet to get cold. They are waterproof too!
I have a pair of these gloves and I feel that the liner moves around a little much in the shell. Also, my thumbs get painfully cold for some reason. I've worn them in temps down around 35 and feel that is about thier limit.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Tour Master Polar Tex gloves. They're fine down to about freezing (by fine I mean tolerable), but into the 20's, you'd better have a short ride planned, or lower speeds.

That might actually be the key to my feeling that they're not very warm- my commute is about 25-30 minutes at 65+ mph, and with ambient temps in the low 20's recently, a glove can only do so much. I've also tried adding a thin polypropolene liner, but with marginal improvement, if any.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts