Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was super lucky last year in that a guy I work w/ has a brother working at Custom Chrome. A vendor gave the shop a Belstaff Discovery jacket (w/ liner) but in a Medium. All the guys there are bigger than that, so he gave it to his brother. Bro quit smoking an put on a bit, and since he doesn't ride anyway, he gave the jacket to me.

The jacket is styled more like an adv touring jacket. Longer cut, lots of pockets, and a great liner.

I also got a pair of insulated Belstaff pants on ebay. Non-removable liner, so haven't been able to wear them much. Above 50 sitting at a light, they start getting warm.

I've worn it a few times before, but never for a ride longer than the few miles to work. Today I was out for around an hour, and it was 46 when I left. Roads were mostly twisty, but some straight shots along the river.... avg 45-60 mph. Late afternoon w/ the sun almost down when I got back.

I purposefully did this as a test (and half figured I'd be coming home soon). I had a t shirt and under armor shirt above, and under armor below the pants. NOT what I would normally put on for cold weather.

If you want to stay warm, but don't want to plug in......... check what the Brits wear. They know how to design for the cold !

I was plenty warm the entire ride. Fingertips were bordering on cold and toes were too, but the rest of me was enjoying the ride. I know what I'm wearing for the ride to work tomorrow in the 30s.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably styling. They tend to look like old school, old guy coats. They are designed well though. If they ever start trying sport styling, they may have a shot here.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
scoprire said:
Probably styling. They tend to look like old school, old guy coats.
No wonder they look good to me! [laugh]

[thumbsup]

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I've got a Belstaff textile. It's great in cold weather. The most notable feature is a "labyrinth" seal around the main zip. It has the zip, overlapping velcro and a snap panel. It's this feature that makes it so nice in cold weather. My Dainese leather can't compete on the really cold days; I can feel wind come right through the zipper so even though it has a warm liner, I get chilled.

The shop I bought the Belstaff from stopped carrying them the next season. Said they liked the product but they had too much difficulty getting product and service from the company. That could have a lot to do with why they haven't caught on here; poor N/A distribution and support.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts