Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize it's important to warm the engine when first starting out, how warm is warm enough?

I have a new M1k w/ an oil temp gauge that starts reading temp at 125 degF.

Should I wait to ride until I get a reading (ie 125)? or if I just take it easy & keep the RPM's under 3k am I OK using a ride & warm technique?

Thanks for the tips

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
my opinion is you can ride moderately as soon as the bike will operate safely. what i do is start the bike, then put my gloves and helmet on, plug my clothing in during cold weather, then ride off at moderate speed.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
plug my clothing in during cold weather,
Ahhh, another user of the electric heat, good choice!!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I remember reading somewhere on the Ducati site that they suggest letting your bike warm up for at least 2 minutes before riding. I guess our Ducs tend to have a problem with oil draining out of the heads while sitting.

Anyone else remember readin this?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I used to work in a unit next to a guy that would come out at the end of the day, start his bike (or car), pull out of the driveway, and hammer it to redline in first gear. Every day. I always expected to leave work someday and see him picking up his crankshaft off the street. That's crazy bad.

Other end of the spectrum. One of the guys who used to post here a lot had a very comprehensive check-out he performed every time before he rode. He checked lights, brakes, made sure nothing was in danger of falling off, checked his tires, etc, etc. Really good thing to do. He had an aviation background, so he was really thorough. Something falls off of your plane and you're generally in big trouble...

When I'm being a good boy, I start the bike, look it over for obviously loose components, squeeze the brakes to make sure they're feeling alright, make sure all the lights and blinkers are working, and that it's not leaking fluids. I put on the rest of my gear, and ride away at a moderate pace for a few blocks. Then, I'm good to go.

I'll try to find that checklist. It's on my hard-drive, somewhere....

G

·
I remember reading somewhere on the Ducati site that they suggest letting your bike warm up for at least 2 minutes before riding. I guess our Ducs tend to have a problem with oil draining out of the heads while sitting.

Here's a pretty good read...although addressing 4v rocker issues,
I think it is a good start up procedure and some thoughts on using synthetic oil with high shear...
http://www.sigmaperformance.com/rockers.html

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
As soon as my bike will idle (never more than 30 seconds), I'll ride it gently away. Leaving my house in the morning, I have to go about half a mile before I can get to any road with a speed limit over 25 mph, so I have to ride it gently anyway. Leaving work, I just wait for a big gap in traffic so I can gently get it up to speed.

As the temperature comes up, you can give it more throttle.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Buy an older carb monster and put FCR flat slides on, you won't be able to ride immediately!!!

G

·

And the pompone is a perfect example!
Our beloved Desmo is very vulnerable to the adverse effects of a "cold" start, because of the way the oil circuit is laid out.
If the bike is allowed to stand idle for any length of time, the oil tends to trickle down and collect at the bottom of the engine. When the engine is started up again, the pump will direct the oil back to the top, but not immediately, and in practice, up to 2 minutes will be needed for all parts to be correctly lubricated.
This means that the best oil for a Ducati engine is one with a very high viscosity, as resistant to flow as possible.
And importantly, the engine should be allowed to warm up for at least 2 minutes when started, before it can safely raise its voice

1 - 9 of 9 Posts