Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, got it off with a boat load of puller and impact... gonna update the other thread for that. but here is an update on the different part:

70140351A is NOT for the 2016 Monster 1200S:

Side by side compare, ID and OD don't match at all. /forums/images/DucatiMonster_2015/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
13 Posts
So... I did a bit of research and find out that the plastic SPRAG shows up in the parts fiche for the 2017+ Monster and other models.
https://www.bike-parts-ducati.com/ducati-motorcycle/assignment_spare_parts/70140501A

To compare apples to apples, I picked Monster 1200S:

Besides the fact that my Monster is a 2016, it seems to have the 2017 setup. That, in itself is a little Ef'd up... :mad:

Also, based on the parts, the Service manual should NOT be for 2014-2018 Monster. It really should be for 2014-2016 Monster, then a new version should be out there for 2017+ monsters. The procedure to remove/install the plastic sprag is different, let alone the parts count.

I figured maybe swap things back to use the metal sprag, no?

That would be great, BUT you would need all the parts highlighted AND you're banking on the Crankshaft is the same dimension. It is unfortunately not the same part number... even the nut is different... :rolleyes:

Here's the other kicker:
The sprag is still functioning. It was stuck open where the "teeth" would not stop the driven gear from going the wrong direction. Once the sprag was free, it snapped right into where it was supposed to be.

I put everything back together and she starts just fine. But for how long???

I'm going to ask the dealership to figure something out.

I'm also thinking about switching back to 20w50 oil (I switched to 10w40 to match the same of all other bikes in the garage) hoping this may help.

This is a little Ef'ed up. I've worked on lots of bikes, including Harleys. Never seen something like this. Who the F'k puts a plastic part submerged in petrolium and think it can sustain a monster amount of kickback torque????

My driven gear already has wear grooves. The bike only has 7k miles.... :banghead:

21 - 23 of 23 Posts