Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
M900, Kehin FCRs, DP CF high pipes, open airbox w/ K&N.

Mid 30s sunny and dry. Running like $#!^. Hard to start, popping through the carbs on the highway (as bad as a stock Harley) and surging. She took a long time to warm up and was fine when the temps got to around 40. Redline says don't ride when it's so cold. Maybe it's time to cover the oil cooler.

Maybe I need to leave work early before the temps drop too much.

Doc

S

·
0 Posts
isn't there a bypass valve to divert oil from the cooler? when i had my 900ss/cr with FCR's, i remember it being hard to start under 40 degrees. but it ran like a MOTHER when it got started up & warm!

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
isn't there a bypass valve to divert oil from the cooler? when i had my 900ss/cr with FCR's, i remember it being hard to start under 40 degrees. but it ran like a MOTHER when it got started up & warm!
don't know about the bypass, but agree with the "ran like a MOTHER when it got started up & warm". You talked me into it. I'm leaving.

Have a good New Years everybody!

Doc

·
Registered
571 Posts
That'll be Carb Icing....a MAJOR problem back home in the UK.

Recommended action....

A small amount of Silkolene FST Pro fuel additive in every tankful (Or similar) availiable (in the UK anyway) at Honda dealers.....

Good luck :)

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Makes sense. Bike sat for 2 weeks with minimal gas in the tank and the fuel light came on while it was still cold. Topping off the tank with fresh gas + warming air + warming the motor more cleared it up. Now I'm outta here.

Doc

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Darkmonster, how and when did Lingenfelter die??? He was an amazing tuner, especially on the Vettes and Vipers. What happened?

·
Registered
849 Posts
He fell into a half-coma after having surgery this past November due to a racing accident he'd had in Pomona last year.

Many good people passed away this year.

-R.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
My fuel injected 620 runs like a top in this cold weather, but it does take a while to get up to temperature. But if you can imagine going down the road in 28 degree weather, no wonder it takes a while to warm up.And on start -up I always have to use the fuel enrichner or she just keeps cutting out, just usually long enough to gear up, then she'll run on her own.
My normal running temp seems to be 190 -210 in the cold, summer runs 230 or higher. Our HD run around 160- 180.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Mine was a real bear to start today. Once started it was running on one cylinder. Seems that the spark plug lead wasn't making good contact inside the boot. Once that was cured she ran just fine with just a little popping and farting while warming up. Once warm, she ran great. Of course I had to go for a ride. Especially after installing my new DP tach kit, Sargent seat and Napolean mirrors. It was 39 degrees but I still loved it. It also seems like the exhaust note is getting a little louder with more run time (new Arrow slip-ons). Is that possible? Not that I mind. ;D

·
Registered
100 Posts
The oil cooler bypass on the m900 is only of any use once the oil is up at working temperature. During the winter that I used mine this would take up to half an hour, or a dozen roundabouts, where it wouldn't idle and would stall unless the throttle was constantly blipped. My Buell M2 was the same, ran like a dog when it got cold. I havn't had this trouble on injected bikes, it's the nature of carburettors plus the volatility of the fuels we have now that cause the problem. If you have to use carburettors in low temperatures use a fuel additive like the one mentioned, or 'idle boost' available at your local Harley store (in Scotland at least) which worked wonders on my Buell. You could see the smile break out on my tear-stained cheeks, really.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts