Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Coffin" style integrated fluid Reservoirs??

What is the point to these? Are the seperate (current) style reservoirs more expensive to spec? or maybe they were not developed when my older bikes were manufactured??

Any performance improvement with the newer seperate style? or just lighter.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Re: "Coffin" style integrated fluid Rese

The "coffin" or "integrated" master cylinders cost less. They are designed for single disc bake setups and are marginally effective on dual brake setup. Note that with coffin MC driving two calipers, there is not enough fluid capacity in the reservoir to go from new pads to worn out pads without adding fluid. Likewise, when going from old pads to new ones, the capacity is too small to do this without removing fluid from the reservoir.

Any modern 16mm standard pivot master cylidner will be great improvement. For similar look, you can use Kawasaki ZX6 integrated master clyinder and it will deliver improved performance. You can also get about any master cylinder and put on there... Brembo "gold line" w/ remote reservoir (as found on many other ducatis), nissin OEM or aftermarket remote setup, the new brembo OE style radial pump with integrated reservoir, or full-on race brembo radial GP pump.

I will soon be installing brembo OE style radial pump on Pongo (my 97 m900 currently with integrated old style brembo pump)

:) Chris

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Re: "Coffin" style integrated fluid Rese

Chris, not all coffin stykes are designerd for single disc. they made them in 13mm and 16mm bore. The 13mm is for the single disk and the 16mm (same dia as most remote resevioir mc's) were for te dual disk set up. I currently run a 13mm with dual disks, and while the lever is spongy, the leverage is amazing, one finger braking can lift the rear wheel off the ground at 60+, very sensitive though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts