Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
and where's the photo of your bike enveloped in a cloud of tyre smoke?

·
Registered
474 Posts
[laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Ah yes, of course.... my 1/4 mile times!
nearly forgot....

On Wednesday night I took my bike to the Kwinana Mortorplex 'Whoop Arse Wednesday' open night.
it was awesome!
You guys definatley gotta do it soon. Its on every wednesday night till May next year.

Conditions, I was told, werent that favourable. Very warm and 79% humidity on the track.

I was the only Monster there, and apart from a 749, the only Ducati. And mine was the only 600.
alot of R1's, GSXR's, ZXR's, etc. A couple of Buells (man, they light up!) and a few others.

Anyways, it was my first time so I was new to it all.

On my first run I got a near perfect start with a 0.100 reaction time, but gave it too much and popped the front. I didnt get the gear changes right either and finished with a 13.8sec 1/4 mile.

I did 5 runs over the night, all pretty consistently in the low 13's.
1/4 mile top speed was 160km/hr.

As a comparison, the guy on the 749 did a 11.9
my mate on his ZX12 did a 10.9, top speed of 220km/hr
and another guy on a lowered ZX12 did a 9.9

best reaction time of the night was a 0.003

The feedback I got was that it wasnt too bad for a 600 on my first night, and with practice I should be able to get those times down, maybe sub 13s.

Sorry Geoff!..... no smoke from me [cheeky]

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good work joe. Wonder how much faster I can expect to be?? I'll be down there soon don't worry bout that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
howley said:
Good work joe. Wonder how much faster I can expect to be?? I'll be down there soon don't worry bout that.
You should definitely be in the low 12's. You have put a new chain and spockets on since I last saw you, haven't you? ;)

I'd like to go down there one day, but will probably have to be in the school hols. Can we make it a monster evening?

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I have put a new one on! I kept it for as long as possible, no more adjustment AND left it there as long as I could. Put a 41 on the rear too so it should be better for dragging.
I'd be up for a monster evening for sure!

·
Registered
474 Posts
A monster evening sounds great! [thumbsup]

I reckon your bike will easily do low 12's Luke.
Yours too Geoff.
I found my bike just didnt have the power to get up to speed in that short distance.
your bikes shouldnt have that problem at all.

look forward to it. should be great fun ;D

·
Registered
208 Posts
pepsduc said:
I found my bike just didnt have the power to get up to speed in that short distance.
Perhaps it's time for a 14t front spocket?

·
Registered
474 Posts
GeoffB said:
Perhaps it's time for a 14t front spocket?
wont that make it worse?
dropping a tooth on the front might make it quicker off the line, but top speed will be sacrificed wont it??

·
Registered
208 Posts
pepsduc said:
wont that make it worse?
dropping a tooth on the front might make it quicker off the line, but top speed will be sacrificed wont it??
You're not going to do over 200kph over 400m anyway. I did a 12.4 once with a breakout speed of around 170kph.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I snuck a look at my speedo once when I was following you - a very hasty look it was too - and it was pretty close to 190 >:D

So, if you drop a tooth on the front sprocket, you'll get off the mark faster, get up to speed faster, and stay in the power with the shorter gearing.

·
Registered
474 Posts
GeoffB said:
So, if you drop a tooth on the front sprocket, you'll get off the mark faster, get up to speed faster, and stay in the power with the shorter gearing.
Sounds like exactly what i need [thumbsup]

always considered this doing mod. makes even more sense to do it now. thanks ;D

·
Registered
208 Posts
pepsduc said:
And it is a really easy mod to back-out if you don't like it.

G

·
pepsduc said:
Sounds like exactly what i need [thumbsup]

Joe, have done the 14T - lots more zip off the line, so for what you are talking about here (dragging) sounds like it should be the go.

I am in 2 minds about it, as I like the extra punch, and I like the round town "lack of chugging", but won;t be so good for range on a tour.... big suggested that next chain / sprocket change I go back to 15T at the front, and up 2 at the rear - sort of a compromise between the 14T and 15T with std rear....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.